Suicide Rates Rise Sharply in U.S.

A rather disturbing trend ....

Suicide rates among middle-aged Americans have risen sharply in the past decade, prompting concern that a generation of baby boomers who have faced years of economic worry and easy access to prescription painkillers may be particularly vulnerable to self-inflicted harm.

More people now die of suicide than in car accidents,...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/health/suicide-rate-rises-sharply-in-us.html?_r=0

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reported suicide rates are increasing, but reported murder rates are steadily declining:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/preliminary-semiannual-uniform-crime-report-january-june-2012/data-tables/table_3_percent_change_for_consecutive_years_2012.xls

There's more than one way to interpret that data.

My oldest brother Darryl figures that with all those CSI type shows on TV, we've educated a lot of criminals. They now know a lot more about how to cover their tracks, so killers are a lot better than they used to be at making things look like suicide. He says the population isn't more depressed, it's just smarter.

But he's a glass half-full kind of moron.

This was eminently predictable. How could anyone not see this coming.

The article theorizes it started with elevated lifestyle expectations of baby boomers colliding with economic reality, exacerbated by prescription pain killers. Do you agree with this , or would you describe it differently ?

The article theorizes it started with elevated lifestyle expectations of baby boomers colliding with economic reality, exacerbated by prescription pain killers. Do you agree with this , or would you describe it differently ?

You've worked most of your adult life but now you are without a job, every time you thought the next interview would be it but it's been 18+ months and you have gone from unemployed to unemployable - you have used up your unemployment and you are loathed to apply for any other government assistance, you're 12-17+ years away from SSI, 5 years away from paying off the mortgage and maybe you're savings will last two years if you live like a monk - it's a pretty bleak picture for a lot of people.

You've worked most of your adult life but now you are without a job, every time you thought the next interview would be it but it's been 18+ months and you have gone from unemployed to unemployable - you have used up your unemployment and you are loathed to apply for any other government assistance, you're 12-17+ years away from SSI, 5 years away from paying off the mortgage and maybe you're savings will last two years if you live like a monk - it's a pretty bleak picture for a lot of people.

they really are in a rought spot: get passed over for younger candidates, feel theyre too old to learn new skills. + theyre still on the hook paying for the entitlements of the generation that retired before them

The large majority of boomers lived their lives spending well above their means, incurring staggering debt to wealth ratios. By many reports more than 80% face the reality of not having saved enough for retirement.

The the harsh realities of their liberal economic revolution is setting in; and they are left looking to their kids, who's financial futures they have all but completely thrown away, and they are commiting a new brand of American Seppuku.

If you're "depressed" because you can't get gubmint bennies or even swing a job at the local Pizza Hut, please off yourself.

If you're "depressed" because you can't get gubmint bennies or even swing a job at the local Pizza Hut, please off yourself.

In the last 10 years, these very boards have had two suicides that I know of. From our little spattering of statistics, numbers point elsewhere. Sorry I am being your buzzkill.

Reported suicide rates are increasing, but reported murder rates are steadily declining:

http://www.fbi.gov/a..._years_2012.xls

There's more than one way to interpret that data.

My oldest brother Darryl figures that with all those CSI type shows on TV, we've educated a lot of criminals. They now know a lot more about how to cover their tracks, so killers are a lot better than they used to be at making things look like suicide. He says the population isn't more depressed, it's just smarter.

But he's a glass half-full kind of moron.

Agatha Christie did a Poirot story were someone covered up a suicide to make it look like murder to spare the victim the shame.

Home Depot, McDonalds, Walmart and the local grocery store is always hiring. Suck it up kitty.

they really are in a rought spot: get passed over for younger candidates, feel theyre too old to learn new skills. + theyre still on the hook paying for the entitlements of the generation that retired before them

rather than paying for the entitlements being a problem, it is putting the kids through college that's a killer for their savings - and it's a pretty crappy feeling for parents who have managed to get one or two kids through good colleges to be telling the next kid in line about the glories of community college or military service, or all the billionaire entrepreneurs who never went to college.

rather than paying for the entitlements being a problem, it is putting the kids through college that's a killer for their savings - and it's a pretty crappy feeling for parents who have managed to get one or two kids through good colleges to be telling the next kid in line about the glories of community college or military service, or all the billionaire entrepreneurs who never went to college.

I was the fifth of six kids. Not much left when they got to me. So I used the money I saved while working through high school, took a small loan got a tiny bit from dad and made it work. I don't think my parents felt at all crappy about it. Becuase that's, you know, life.

I was the fifth of six kids. Not much left when they got to me. So I used the money I saved while working through high school, took a small loan got a tiny bit from dad and made it work. I don't think my parents felt at all crappy about it. Becuase that's, you know, life.

well of course your parents didn't feel crappy,because they knew a good education would be wasted on you :P

I'm jealous of parents who pay for college... I got $200 and was told, "Have fun!"

Now thats how you cut healthcare costs....

ouch..Mr. Compassion over here lol

Anyway, I kind of casually consider suicide every time I remember Obama is actually in charge. Not really but it does make me grumpy.

Edited by Dante