We should have taken Nassib in the 4th

agreed but i was yelling for Barkley, Guy is a proven winner and has been amazing since high school. When i watched tape on Nassib idk wth his feet were doing and i heard Many so called experts talk about his feet.

Whatever we got who we got im stoked and i think the tides are shifting...

Im actually looking frwd to this upcoming season. (LBs on our roster scare me though.... STop the Damn Run!)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The impact of drafting Nassib would have been to completely undermine your 1st round pick before he ever steps on the practice field. The national media (and others here) would have absolutely panned the Bills for lacking conviction in the pick they made just two rounds earlier. I would envision hearing them say "if you think you needed to draft a qb two rounds behind Manuel, how can you then justify selecting Manuel with the 16th pick?"

Edited by BillnutinHouston

1) Duke is a better player than Nassib and we had a higher need at S than QB, 2) we just signed Kolb, 3) Marrone & his staff knows Nassib's strengths and weaknesses and does not think Nassib will be that good in the NFL, 3) EJ doesn't need the coach's former QB breathing down his neck.

1) Duke is a better player than Nassib and we had a higher need at S than QB, 2) we just signed Kolb, 3) Marrone & his staff knows Nassib's strengths and weaknesses and does not think Nassib will be that good in the NFL, 3) EJ doesn't need the coach's former QB breathing down his neck.

Thanks. I know you're new here but you won't last long if you use logic and common sense. Be warned!

Edited by nucci

IMO, the people that feel we should've drafted a QB over Williams, have no clue who duke Williams is and how good he is. I believe we got out starting SS (with the ability to guard WRs) for the next several years. He's fast, violent and intense. Brings some nastiness to our D. If we were talking about drafting a QB over Meeks....well, that's a different story. Duke Williams is a beast and you'll soon love the fact that we chose him over a QB controversy.

this really reminds me of how many people had these "WTF!!! Who is Jairus Byrd???" Type comments after the 09' draft.

I personally don't know much about Duke, but I've seen a few clips and he looks pretty good. I watched him in the Sr. Bowl practices and he looked pretty good. I'm on board with the pick. I don't think there's any way he's not starting within a year. I like Searcy too, but think this kid looks like he covers better 1 on 1 and we will also be going 3 S pretty often so I'm good with the pickup.

Thanks. I know you're new here but you won't last long if you use logic and common sense. Be warned!

ROFL.

Someone needs to explain to me why we had safety Duke Williams rated as a better move for this organization than to take Nassib in the 4th round. THE FOURTH ROUND !

Look what happened to the Seahawks last year, they took a QB in the third round (and got blasted for it by the Kipers of the world) even though they had their QB situation shored up. They open the competition in training camp and find that their third round draft pick Russel Wilson is quickly grasping the NFL game and it changes their entire team to a serious playoff contender.

Forget all the "well we coached him at SU so he's a good fit" crap, I don't care if he played for Kutztown State--in a time when all we talk about is getting a good quarterback for this team, here's a guy that was VERY highly rated by some experienced NFL men sitting there in the fourth freaking round and we decide to take a safety that won't even see the field this year.

The right call was to take Nassib, release Tarvaris Jackson, and go into training camp with Kolb, Manuel and Nassib. May the best man win.

This league is about maximizing your chances to get a franchise quarterback. It's that simple.

If you think I'm wrong, send me Duke Williams stats in three years and I'll admit it.

Nassib wouldn't be in the NFL draft QB conversation if Morrone didn't jump to the NFL.

He is not a good prospect.

Landry Jones in the 4th would have been interesting.

I agree with the idea of take two QBs in the 2013 draft as opposed to two Safties in the 2013 draft.

However what is done is done.

I can live with it with Kolb on the roster.

Landry will have time to learn behind in Big Ben. Plus Jones might be able to teach Big Ben not to be a rapist.

So its a pretty good fit for the Steelers.

There's only 1 good reason to draft another guy. For security, mininizing our possibility that we took the wrong guy.

There's many, many reasons why we Didnt.

That "only one good reason" is the best reason to do it. Look, EJ Manuel, despite the fervetn wishes of many here to pretend otherwise, has some not insignifcant question marks as a potential franchise QB.

Also, of the "many, many reasons" not to take Nassib (or another QB), the one (only?) most are mentioning here is the potential for "controversey". I think that's the last thing a HC should be worrying about--2 rookies having some sort of QB controversey. Who cares? Let the best man win, no??

In what is suspected as the worst year for QBs in the last 10, you want to take 2????? To call it stupid is to offend stupid.

How 'bout play with EJ and Kolb for 2 years and draft another to replace Kolb as the primary backup after his contract expires....

Edited by JPS

You simply made that up. He recently said the opposite.

That "only one good reason" is the best reason to do it. Look, EJ Manuel, despite the fervetn wishes of many here to pretend otherwise, has some not insignifcant question marks as a potential franchise QB.

Also, of the "many, many reasons" not to take Nassib (or another QB), the one (only?) most are mentioning here is the potential for "controversey". I think that's the last thing a HC should be worrying about--2 rookies having some sort of QB controversey. Who cares? Let the best man win, no??

You would be the first to blast Nix if he took another QB in the 4th round.

The obvious answer is the Bills felt Manuel was their guy and Marrone didn't want to take Nassib and have him waste-away for 3-4 years. And maybe, he just isn't that good?

In addition to all the other reasons listed, Why would you draft a second QB in a draft that is by all accounts a weak draft for QBs? We have Kolb, Jackson and the rook. If none of them pan out this year, next year take another QB in a draft that is supposed to be a good QB class. Use the draft pick for a second QB on another position of need. Whether that should have been a dimunitive receiver or a second SS was debatable.

Edited by respk

You would be the first to blast Nix if he took another QB in the 4th round.

No, I have never been against drafting multiple QBs. The are throwaways now. I have mentioned Seattle as a model. They gave up a chunk for Flynn and then immediately drafted Wilson.

But thanks for chirping in...

The obvious answer is the Bills felt Manuel was their guy and Marrone didn't want to take Nassib and have him waste-away for 3-4 years. And maybe, he just isn't that good?

Maybe he isn't, but he sure served Marrone pretty well in Syracuse. Maybe none of them are that good. The point is it wouldn't have cost much to find out who is better. It's an intersting poin the OP brings up. The only point those arguing agains him come back with is some problem with EJs psyche that he couldn't handel the presence of Nassib on the roster. Ej can't be that soft..

Can we send you Nassib's stats(That probably won't exist) as well? BTW, you don't do that to EJ Manuel. You don't draft the coach and OC's former college QB. They know Nassib better than anybody in the world and didn't think he was the right fit here. That would simply make the entire situation very, very uncomfortable. Horrid idea. Draft a different QB, not Nassib.

You really don't need to read past this to get your answer. Why would they draft a player that would create instant controversy during the time that EJ is going to be learning the system? I'm expecting growing pains to a degree. Even a great like Peyton Manning didn't have a stellar first year. Last things we as fans need is to hear Marrone talk about how Nassib "wouldn't have made the same mistake" that EJ makes in a game. Just plain awful idea.

Sometimes you strategically avoid imposing additiinal competition on your apparent starting QB. Like NE not signing a vet when Brady went down.

I don't think this is at all like that with Brady (really, who was going to challenge him?) but point taken. Manuel doesn't strike me as a fragile guy but I think anyone would kind of wonder what's going on given TJax and Kolb were probably made some promises as well. Putting a fourth guy in the mix who really expects to make the team is not really too fair to anybody. I understand it's a ruthless business, but that kind of conduct comes back around and makes guys think twice about signing with you later on. Maybe if you're NE there's an exception, but generally, Buffalo is not NE and has to make a harder sell for FAs.

One thing to add here is that the Bills couldn't really afford to waste picks. They had far too many needs on their roster to draft 2 QB's. Seattle really didn't have that problem when they came around and picked Wilson. Heck, Seattle is the current #1 power ranked team on ESPN. The Bills were near dead last on 3rd down conversions last season. They absolutely need defensive players with the potential to turn that around. Absolutely made sense to me.