Da'Rick Rogers - WR - UDFA

Cookie was a free agent but of course he had signed an NFL contract when he was about 17 years old or something. He wasn't allowed to go to college or get drafted I don't think, then played five years in the CFL though before he came to the Bills. So not sure you could call him an UDFA but maybe.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kid probably won't be here long . Sad too because he is a great talent . Do these problem kids ever work out ?

Randy Moss. He was kicked out of Notre Dame and Florida State for various arrests and drugs and fights. He didn't turn into a model citizen but he had a great career. Depends on what you mean by problem kid. Rothlisberger is not much different. His offenses were worse, IMO. Cris Carter did.

Randy Moss. He was kicked out of Notre Dame and Florida State for various arrests and drugs and fights. He didn't turn into a model citizen but he had a great career. Depends on what you mean by problem kid. Rothlisberger is not much different. His offenses were worse, IMO. Cris Carter did.

Warren sapp had positive drug tests too,

and frankly I'm sure MANY kids in college we never hear about.

Guys either get better at not getting caught, or they get reformed. Drugs and alcohol are a part of life and I realize that the NFL has to set an example, but they should be treating it much more like a health issue than a policing one. Obviously when it comes to drunk driving offenses or greater misdeeds in connection with substances, the penalties have to stiffen. But there are a lot of players with bad drinking problems who are never going to show up on a blotter or on a suspension list. Something to think about.

Freddy and Cookie were both awesome backs. Though they weren't classic UDFAs because they both proved themselves after college in another league before coming to the Bills.

George Wilson started his career as an UDFA WR with the Lions as I recall before we picked him up and converted him into a fair safety.

But I guess Jason Peters might be our best ever 100% genuine UDFA. If Rogers plays to that level (i.e. Pro Bowl) but displays a better attitude and more loyalty, we all be thrilled.

Who's the best UDFA in Bills history?

Likely peters or Freddy. The draft used to be about 45 rounds so I'm not thinking it would date back tooooo far.

Phat Pat Williams from the modern era. I'll have to think about the Jurasic period...

[edit] Must be getting old--Cookie Gilchrist

Pat Williams was good. Jason Peters may have achieved the most. Fred Ex was one of the most amazing stories. The best ever could have been Booker Edgerson I think, who just made it to the Wall of Fame.

Cookie was a free agent but of course he had signed an NFL contract when he was about 17 years old or something. He wasn't allowed to go to college or get drafted I don't think, then played five years in the CFL though before he came to the Bills. So not sure you could call him an UDFA but maybe.

Does Kent Hull count?

Jabari Greer gets honorable mention.

It is amazing that any time the Bills draft a player with dubious qualities, the board highlights how he will be an outstanding player and is liken to every all pro that may have had a bad habit even though it is nothing in comparison to the one that this player exhibits. While every team that drafts a similar player is drafting nothing but trouble and they will rue the pick they made.

Does Kent Hull count?

Jabari Greer gets honorable mention.

How can it be that the best UDFA of the Bills is "likely Peters or Freddy". Freddy madezero pro bowls. Peters makes them without even trying. JAson Peters walking away and we let him simply walk away.

This kid probably won't be here long . Sad too because he is a great talent . Do these problem kids ever work out ?

You would be very surprised at the amount of college kids that get into trouble of some sort every year, some obviously more then others.

Warren Sap dropped in the draft because of rumors of drug use, and for that matter so did Dan Marino. He lasted until the end of the draft 27 out of 28 picks because he supposedly smoked a joint once.

Its what happens once they are in the pro's, they are warned enough.

You would be very surprised at the amount of college kids that get into trouble of some sort every year, some obviously more then others.

Warren Sap dropped in the draft because of rumors of drug use, and for that matter so did Dan Marino. He lasted until the end of the draft 27 out of 28 picks because he supposedly smoked a joint once.

Its what happens once they are in the pro's, they are warned enough.

It's worth noting that today's NFL is very different from that era. Testing is much more frequent now and Goodell will suspend players at the drop of a hat. We just seen 2nd-year WR Blackmon lose 25% of his season.

Also I don't think the only issue here is him smoking weed. He was also arrested in a bar fight and he's got some serious character issues. Here's a quote from an August 2012 article from CBSSports.com:

Last year, multiple sources told CBSSports.com colleague Bruce Feldman that there were several incidents in which Rogers crossed the line with Vol coaches and staff, including a "complete meltdown" during UT's season-ending loss at Kentucky and another episode in the team weight room. The incidents were so troubling to some staffers that they felt Dooley was risking the locker room dynamic by allowing Rogers to remain in the program.

This is going to be a great litmus test for our new coaching staff, and I'm very curious to see how it will play out.

Guys either get better at not getting caught, or they get reformed. Drugs and alcohol are a part of life and I realize that the NFL has to set an example, but they should be treating it much more like a health issue than a policing one. Obviously when it comes to drunk driving offenses or greater misdeeds in connection with substances, the penalties have to stiffen. But there are a lot of players with bad drinking problems who are never going to show up on a blotter or on a suspension list. Something to think about.

Hard to mandate healthy choices without violating legal standards

sorry if im late to the party--but was he busted for weed? or hard drugs?

and were there any additional felonious crimes? fighting, stealing, raping?

because if this thread is going 15 deep questioning the moral integrity of a kid who smokes grass. smh. can't wait til we're out of the freaking federally-imposed-moralistic-ice-age that we're currently in.

did he suck a guys d*ck too? CUT HIM IMMEDIATELY. BAN HIM FROM THE LEAGUE.

It's amazing that smoking pot and underage drinking are such "huge" character flaws, when the vast majority of people in the US have done both.

Yeah, I know. I could care less who smokes pot. As far as I'm concerned, 30-40 percent of people smoke pot, and 80 percent OR MORE smoke pot OR drink. And, I'd guess the percentage of college kids who smoke pot and/or drink in excess is near 75 percent. That's part of being in college - going to parties, doing some things in excess. Pot is a part of a lot of Americans lifestyles. They should just not even test for it anymore, as far as I'm concerned. I'd bet 70 percent of NFL players smoke pot. Frankly, I don't care about it - it's not a big deal.

Now, it is a big deal when you've got a kid who is argumentative, not a "team player", reluctant to put in the time and effort, selfish, etc. Those types of kids - and I think that is totally separate from pot/alcohol - usually don't last long on any given team. Look no further than Owens and Moss - both were amazing athletes/WR's, but were so much of a problem that eventually, sooner or later, they were more trouble than they were worth.

Sometimes I have a hard time understanding the mentality of teams. 13 teams wanted this guy but none was willing to spend a 7th round pick on him?

Are they that worried about the image of taking a guy in the 7th vs. as an UDFA because he was an off-field problem? I find it odd, but am glad it worked out the way it did.

This^^ I just don't get it either... did those 13 other 7th round draft picks have more upside than round1/2 talent Rogers??

My girlfriend wanted to know how 14 teams could try to sign him, but none of them would draft them... I didn't really have an answer for her. You would think that one of them would've thrown a 7th-rounder his way. Especially a team with a relatively good/deep WR corps, who has to expect that he would choose somewhere else as a free agent. There aren't 14 teams with terrible WR corps.

My access to the news is up for the month as of the other day.....I won't pay! I live in freaking Thailand! I did visit 10 times this month, blame the draft. (so just in case any one wants to paraphrase, thank you in advance)

BTW anybody else kind of bewildered by the difference between this guy and Honey Badger, how did he get drafted?

Fame. Honey Badger is super high-profile, whereas Rogers is a guy that only draftniks know. (I'd never heard of him till a few months ago, for example.) I believe that super-exposed, high-profile guys always get overdrafted. Tebow, Maurice Clarett, WR Mike Williams all come to mind. I don't think the fame of a prospect does anything for the scouts, but the scouts aren't the ones doing the drafting. It's head coaches, GMs, and in some cases owners, and they're much more likely to be influenced by the media.

I wonder if money will motivate him to play well for the BIlls.

He will be making rookie minumum and I'm sure he will want to play well enough to earn a good contract when his rookie deal is up

CBF

Buddy told Da'Rick during his pre-draft visit to OBD that he has to be on the straight and narrow path if he wants to play football for a living. Otherwise he can get a job.

I think Rogers understands very well that he's got to make the most of this opportunity or his football dreams may be over in a hurry.