Jairus Byrd: Jason Peters Part II?

Dawgg

I started a typing a new reply, but sInce I just opined on this in the other Byrd thread, I'll just copy and paste, as long as we are starting new threads on active topics:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

It's weird for me to type this since I'm unabashedly optimistic on nearly all things Bills, but Byrd's agent is Eugene Parker.

You may remember Eugene Parker from the Jason Peters fiasco, as well as the Michael Crabtree holdout. He's known for putting the screws to franchises and getting teams to pay top dollar.

Whatever we think would be an extremely generous contract, Parker likely thinks is not enough. I imagine he's looking to get $10 mil a year for Byrd.

Posted Yesterday, 04:45 PM

To make him the highest paid safety, they'd have to give him at least something like a 6 year contract for $60 mil with close to $40 mil guaranteed.

If you or anyone are only looking at base salaries as a model, don't forget to include signing bonuses. 3 other safeties are already making over $10 mil a year when you factor in signing bonuses, which are prorated throughout the contract.

Again, Parker means business. Google him. When his clients sign, it's often some type of record breaking contract. Larry Fitzgerald and Deion Sanders are two examples. He's also been behind numerous holdouts and contentious contract negotiations.

Parker was also behind Greg Jennings's departure from Green Bay, by not backing down from his demand of $11 mil a year.

By no means am I saying the Bills should or shouldn't pay whatever it takes, but it's one thing to say "Just pay the man" and another to not obscenelyoverpay, which is likely what Parker is demanding.

Edited by uncle flap

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want Byrd back here but I'm not intersted in paying $8M/year for a safety who is likely to be 1 of 3 on the field at any time. Byrd is a good safety but teams don't game plan to stay away from Byrd.

I'd disagree with that. Probably one of two guys on defense that game plans are drawn up for.

Edited by stony

The Bills would rather pay free agents like Mario Williams and Mark Anderson then to Andy Levitre and Jarius Byrd.

What type of impact do you think it has on a locker room when quality players that are drafted and develop into top talents at their position have to go else where to get paid?

Yes we paid: Fitz, Stevie, K Williams but you have to keep as much of your talent as possible. How is our Offensive Line better without Levitre? If Byrd is unwilling to sign or if we are not offering him fair market value trade him now and get maximum value. Byrd basically saved/won 2 games for us last season. The closer quality players get to free agency the more their cost goes up. Letting him walk for nothing like Levitre serves no purpose.

The Bills NEVER try to sign their free agents...except the ones they do sign!

This is so predictible. The panic that sets in when one of our players wants more money. And the reaction is all the same: pay the man whatever he wants.

I think the Bills are making a good faith effort to reach a deal with Byrd. But no one here knows how sincere Byrd is. Does he just want a fair deal or a ticket out of Buffalo?

We have other players coming due soon and we can't wreck the future by panicking now.

PTR

Good teams pay their best players even the Patriots. Brady and Wilfork got paid. The Bills have so little money locked up at the QB position that they can more than afford to pay other players. Is he as good as Ed Reed is his prime. No but he is worth being paid.

The Bills NEVER try to sign their free agents...except the ones they do sign!

This is so predictible. The panic that sets in when one of our players wants more money. And the reaction is all the same: pay the man whatever he wants.

I think the Bills are making a good faith effort to reach a deal with Byrd. But no one here knows how sincere Byrd is. Does he just want a fair deal or a ticket out of Buffalo?

We have other players coming due soon and we can't wreck the future by panicking now.

PTR

Remember when everybody was all "PAY FRED JACKSON!" and were throwing around numbers like 5-6 years at 25-30 million.

Good Times.

Edited by jeremy2020

Byrd is a great player, but to be a realist we may not have the money to re sign him. There will have to be some restructuring of contracts. more than likely Kyle Williams and Mario Williams. I have a feeling Kyle Williams may even be cut if he's not the same player this year. The Alan Branch signing was more than just an insurance policy. Spiller will command top dollar to keep. Fred's tires will wear down soon. if Wood can stay healthy for a whole season we will likely re-sign him too. Not sure how this will go right now, but I just hope we don't let him walk for nothing.

Hernandez was paid and Welker was replaced with his clone...

A Wes Welker clone won't do much good if he can't stay on the field

With all the knucklehead moves this front office has made, they have been pretty good at keeping their own. So far, in like 4 offseasons they have lost poz and Levitre so far. I guess you could count whitner/Bell, though I wouldn't. They managed long term deals to keep Kyle, Stevie, Fred, and Chandler (though Chandler's was a little short term). I think they do their best to get a deal done, and I think it eventually works out. I can't imagine this turning into a holdout situation that ends in a trade, despite Parker being the agent.

"transgressor"-- only in your warped world does a new thread constitute a transgression. I read what was out there and believe that a new thread is sufficiently justified.

Are you trying to reach the venerable status of "Moderator" like Simon? Best of luck in your quest.

And thanks for the feedback!

PLEASE don't give anyone any ideas. :thumbdown:

Let's see...

1. The Bills have converted both Ron Brooks and Aaron Williams to safety.

2. The team drafted two safeties in this year's draft.

3. Byrd's agent is Eugene Parker who also represents Jason Peters. This is the same agent who advised his client to hold out and ultimately engineered his exit to a contending team.

4. Reports suggest that there has been little to no dialogue between the two sides.

5. Both Byrd and his agent have been radio silent. Byrd's last tweet was March 1st, which happens to be the date he was franchised.

My uneducated guess (hope I'm wrong): Byrd's preference is to play/sign elsewhere and Eugene Parker is hellbent on making that happen. The Bills are making other plans.

As Peters very clearly said, he fully expected to re-sign with Buffalo. It was only the morning of the day he was traded when the Bills categorically refused to up their offer that he decided that he wasn't going to re-sign here.

A great deal of the problem for the Peters fiasco goes to how the Bills handled it. You need to either try to handle things sensitively or play hardball. You pick one or the other. The Bills had Peters under contract for another two full years. They started by playing hardball and then totally caved and traded him with two years remaining on his contract. If they were going to cave, they shouldn't have started saying bad things about him in the press.

Same ground rule should apply with Byrd. They franchised him. Make it clear they're willing to do it again next year even at the higher money, and then follow through if Parker thinks it's a bluff. Sooner or later Byrd will sign a new contract.

Edited by Thurman#1

A Wes Welker clone won't do much good if he can't stay on the field

With all the knucklehead moves this front office has made, they have been pretty good at keeping their own. So far, in like 4 offseasons they have lost poz and Levitre so far. I guess you could count whitner/Bell, though I wouldn't. They managed long term deals to keep Kyle, Stevie, Fred, and Chandler (though Chandler's was a little short term). I think they do their best to get a deal done, and I think it eventually works out. I can't imagine this turning into a holdout situation that ends in a trade, despite Parker being the agent.

Agree right or wrong they decided not to pay Levitre top dollar. Bills have been on the right(Clements) and wrong(Winfield) side of that decision with prior regimes. I think Nix will pay Byrd top dollar. He paid Fred and Stevie and Byrd has much more talent than those two. I just hope it was Levitre and not Nix that didn't want a deal prior to the start of the 2012 season.

Byrd is worth making the highest paid safety, but not highest by a couple million. Eugene Parker may have some stupid number in mind.

PTR

That's all I was really trying to say. Thanks for putting it so succinctly! :thumbsup:

The problem with the Peters situation was that he had 3 years left on a contract. Folks, when you sign, you are bound. Peters and Parker weaseled out.....I would not allow that in any circumstances. Its a manhood thing in my view. Byrd situation is different...no contract....but thye tag thing. He is trying to weasel that situation.....I wouldn't allow it myself......

They didn't weasel out. The Bills let him out by trading him.

They didn't weasel out. The Bills let him out by trading him.

He didn't show up and turned it to a lardass. Once you pull a stunt like that you aren't worth a nickel, IMO. I danced a jig when we shipped him out. Efff Peters.

PTR

Signed, Wes Welker

Beat me to it

You have to think who do we have coming up to FA?

Spiller

Wood

Byrd

Do we have enough money to extend all 3?

I hope so.

Maybe the Bills dont agree with the figure that Parker is throwing out because it wont leave them enough cap space to re sign their other players. Its like a chess game they are waiting to see what eachothers next move will be.

CBF

Edited by Canadian_Bills_Fan

Am I the only one who thinks Wood doesn't deserve a huge 2nd contract given his injury history. Love the guy, and yes he's very good when healthy, but how the management handles his negotiations will be very interesting.

Agreed. Someone or the Bills may pay Wood, but a guy who can't stay on the field isn't worth top dollar.

Levitre was over-paid, but you could count on him every game. Switching sports, Pominville too :thumbsup: