Jairus Byrd: Jason Peters Part II?

Dawgg

No argument that it's a high priority item for the Bills. I'm questioning whether it's a high priority item for Byrd's camp.

The other difference is the franchise tag. He has to play for Bills this year. If he doesn't resign, then next year becomes more interesting.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we are paying him his Franchise tag which is top 5 money for this year, and we are negotiating. But we can't spend stupid money on one player when Wood and Spiller are due soon. I'm all for paying the man as long as he's being reasonable about his value.

PTR

This! We need to factor in that we need to re-sign Wood and Spiller. Give him long term security but stay reasonable spending wise. I hope he's not so egoistic to demand top of the bill money that would hurt the team down the stretch. Then again given the fact that Eugene Parker is his agent... :/ IMHO he just needs to make sure that a good portion of his contract is guaranteed with the incentives being guaranteed for 50% in case of IR or something like that... He needs a smart contract not a bragging rights contract of virtual millions.

Edited by bladiebla

The other difference is the franchise tag. He has to play for Bills this year. If he doesn't resign, then next year becomes more interesting.

Indeed.

He could pull a similar move to Nate Clements, whereby he demands, as a condition of signing the franchise tender and playing for the Bills this year, that the Bills agree in writing to take the franchise tag off the table for the following year. If that is the case, my hope is that the Bills don't succumb to it the way Marv did for Clements.

The Bills would rather pay free agents like Mario Williams and Mark Anderson then to Andy Levitre and Jarius Byrd.

What type of impact do you think it has on a locker room when quality players that are drafted and develop into top talents at their position have to go else where to get paid?

Yes we paid: Fitz, Stevie, K Williams but you have to keep as much of your talent as possible. How is our Offensive Line better without Levitre? If Byrd is unwilling to sign or if we are not offering him fair market value trade him now and get maximum value. Byrd basically saved/won 2 games for us last season. The closer quality players get to free agency the more their cost goes up. Letting him walk for nothing like Levitre serves no purpose.

We should all hope like hell that Byrd is thought of like Jason Peters in 2010.

Parker and Peters thought Peters should be paid the going rate for top LTs. That number was 10m. They would have gladly signed with the Bills for that amount, which was about the third most at the time. Jake Long was 11 I think. I can't recall who else made a little more than 10. The Bills were only willing to pay 9m, so they traded to Philly who was willing to pay him the 3rd best in the league.

If the Bills are willing to pay Byrd the going rate and the 3rd best S contract in the league right now, which is what he deserves by being his contract year at this point in his career, then we have him locked up for 5+ years.

You should all hope it plays out like Jason Peters, except this time the team pays the going rate. I know I do.

Parker and Peters thought Peters should be paid the going rate for top LTs. That number was 10m. They would have gladly signed with the Bills for that amount, which was about the third most at the time. Jake Long was 11 I think. I can't recall who else made a little more than 10. The Bills were only willing to pay 9m, so they traded to Philly who was willing to pay him the 3rd best in the league.

If the Bills are willing to pay Byrd the going rate and the 3rd best S contract in the league right now, which is what he deserves by being his contract year at this point in his career, then we have him locked up for 5+ years.

You should all hope it plays out like Jason Peters, except this time the team pays the going rate. I know I do.

Agreed, and let's also hope Byrd doesn't sulk and then report out of shape.

The Bills would rather pay free agents like Mario Williams and Mark Anderson then to Andy Levitre and Jarius Byrd.

What type of impact do you think it has on a locker room when quality players that are drafted and develop into top talents at their position have to go else where to get paid?

Yes we paid: Fitz, Stevie, K Williams but you have to keep as much of your talent as possible. How is our Offensive Line better without Levitre? If Byrd is unwilling to sign or if we are not offering him fair market value trade him now and get maximum value. Byrd basically saved/won 2 games for us last season. The closer quality players get to free agency the more their cost goes up. Letting him walk for nothing like Levitre serves no purpose.

I understand what you're trying to say, but Levitre was overpaid. Way overpaid.

I don't want them to overpay for Byrd either, as good as he is.

Agreed, and let's also hope Byrd doesn't sulk and then report out of shape.

That's impossible. He's not the problem child that Peters is, and his dad would never let him do it even if he was like that, which he is not.

Besides, Peters didn't sulk and report out of shape after he got paid the top dollar and going rate, it was only before.

No doubt Eugene Parker is playing the same game with Byrd as he did with Peters. If so, I hope the Bills let Byrd sit and rot. If he will not sign the tender, let him sit. They will still own his rights come next year. I would love to keep him, but they should not allow themselves to be held hostage.

Yep, with Parker as the agent, let Byrd sit out the season, no more trades like the Peters deal. Don't let Parker drive a trade....let Byrd pay the price for having such tactics in play. by the way, if he sits out, he still has a contract in force, I think.....doesn't clear out the tag he has.....worse scenrio, he shows up 3 days before the first regular season game, then he has to be inactive since he can't play the D, which is new. But, you could put him on special teams.....heh heh.

The problem with the Peters situation was that he had 3 years left on a contract. Folks, when you sign, you are bound. Peters and Parker weaseled out.....I would not allow that in any circumstances. Its a manhood thing in my view. Byrd situation is different...no contract....but thye tag thing. He is trying to weasel that situation.....I wouldn't allow it myself......

Byrd was really good his first year, followed by a mediocre second and better his third year. He is far from irreplaceable.

I think you are greatly undervaluing Byrd. He didn't allow a single TD in coverage last year and picked off 5 passes. With the aging of Ed Reed, he's arguably the best free safety in the league. That does sort of make him irreplaceable, if you are talking about replacing him with equal talent.

What's killing negotiations is Tampa - they had a ridiculous amount of cap space and signed Goldson to an overinflated contract. I still feel confident they will reach a deal this summer before the July 15 deadline.

Indeed.

He could pull a similar move to Nate Clements, whereby he demands, as a condition of signing the franchise tender and playing for the Bills this year, that the Bills agree in writing to take the franchise tag off the table for the following year. If that is the case, my hope is that the Bills don't succumb to it the way Marv did for Clements.

Actually, no he can't. He has no leverage for this year. He either plays for the Bills and gets paid as one of the top 5 safeties in the league or he doesn't play and he gets paid zero dollars.

I think you are greatly undervaluing Byrd. He didn't allow a single TD in coverage last year and picked off 5 passes. With the aging of Ed Reed, he's arguably the best free safety in the league. That does sort of make him irreplaceable, if you are talking about replacing him with equal talent.

What's killing negotiations is Tampa - they had a ridiculous amount of cap space and signed Goldson to an overinflated contract. I still feel confident they will reach a deal this summer before the July 15 deadline.

I agree with you that Byrd is a very good safety. However, I believe this defense will be much better with the players drafted and with the new Pettine system. I believe this will be true with or without Byrd. That is what I meant when I said he is far from irreplaceable.

My guess is Duke and Jon Meeks were drafted not only as BPA based on the Bills' own board but as "insurance policies" in the event Byrd is not re-signed to a long term deal this year.

I don't think so. Duke Williams should play SS, he's competition for Searcy. Meeks is a guy they reached on for ST, I guess.

Actually, no he can't. He has no leverage for this year. He either plays for the Bills and gets paid as one of the top 5 safeties in the league or he doesn't play and he gets paid zero dollars.

You're right in theory. But Nate Clements was in the same situation and he suckered the Bills into waiving the franchise tag for the following year. The result: Nate escaped town for zero compensation.