Current NBA player comes out...Jason Collins

Buftex

broussard should not be suspended IMO.....the PC police shouldn't run over everyone............good for Collins, happy that he was able to get this huge weight off his chest.

people that disprove though should be able to do so and it doesn't seem that's the case anymore. make an anti-gay comment or "the bible says marriage is a man and a woman" comment and you will be trampled nowadays it seems.

This is offensive, Broussard is an awful analyst and a worse "reporter" who habitually plagerizes scoops from other insiders and passes them off as his own. Total scumbag. Now, what did he say about this story?

broussard does suck..........but is he not allowed to live by the bible? is he wrong for alledgedly being a devout christian? interpretation gets real funny sometimes...

gay non-gay whatever floats your boat i say.......but bible thumpers have had certain thoughts ingrained since a very young age.........hard to fault either side.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

broussard should not be suspended IMO.....the PC police shouldn't run over everyone............good for Collins, happy that he was able to get this huge weight off his chest.

people that disprove though should be able to do so and it doesn't seem that's the case anymore. make an anti-gay comment or "the bible says marriage is a man and a woman" comment and you will be trampled nowadays it seems.

broussard does suck..........but is he not allowed to live by the bible? is he wrong for alledgedly being a devout christian? interpretation gets real funny sometimes...

This. When did disagreeing with someone start equating to hating them? You people need to examine yourselves for a minute or two.

Yeah, I understand, when intellectual resources are so limited, it is good to save them up... :rolleyes:

But, by all means, type idiotic things as much as you can, just to keep the machinery working.

Sorry to disagree with you. Why are the compassionate and intellectual lefties always the first to make it personal? Thought better of you.

The local morning yokels here (Texas) are taking the angle that Collins is a "scumbag" because he led a woman on for 7 years, that he was straight...the one guy is a former college running back (short stint with the NY Giants) from Boston College, and was also a RB coach with the Longhorns during the Ricky Williams era...he seems to be the most offended by this whole thing...funny thing is, after listening to him for about 15 minutes almost every morning, for years, I have always had my suspicions that he isn't what he portrays himself to be.

Well I wouldn't call him a scumbag but that's a pretty ****ty thing to do. My wife dated a guy who ended up being gay and I know how much that upset her.

Well I wouldn't call him a scumbag but that's a pretty ****ty thing to do. My wife dated a guy who ended up being gay and I know how much that upset her.

When did you finally break it to her?

I'm not sure if I'm one of the so called luminaries but I don't give a **** about someone coming out. What's the big deal? Maybe it's because I've lived in and near gay communities for 30 + years that when someone says they're gay it is......(ok, can I put in an order for a yawning smilie?). Is it a big deal because he's an athlete? I don't know, I have not understood the media for a long time. Someone telling me they're gay is like someone telling me their a democrat. Well that's a bad example, if someone tells me they're gay I would never hold that against them, but I think you get my drift. So for me I don't give a **** about him coming out, I give a **** as to why it's such a big deal.

You're just not grasping the potential reality of what has happened. According to the article linked below from USA Today, Collins is just like Jackie Robinson. Well, except for the fact that it's nothing like Jackie Robinson, but that's besides the point. There are lists. Yes, there are lists of people who tweeted their support for Collins. LISTS, dammit!

So you better start calling him a hero and comparing him to Jackie Robinson, or you won't be on the list. And you don't want to not be on the list. Because if you're not on the list, everyone will shun you and call you names and do everything they can to isolate you as a freak...kinda like we used to do with black and gays when it was cool to not be on the list.

http://www.usatoday....column/2123327/

Bowing out of this thread..if you don't go to PPP, they will come to you... :lol:

Sorry to disagree with you. Why are the compassionate and intellectual lefties always the first to make it personal? Thought better of you.

Dante, I am sorry to make it personal...my bad.

Your take on this whole thing was incredibly shallow. Like a lot of folks here, if something isn't important to you, or out of your realm of experience, you minimize it as if it shouldn't be important to anyone, and then have no trouble going on and on about how insignificant it is.

Bowing out of this thread..if you don't go to PPP, they will come to you... :lol:

Edited by Buftex

Dante, I am sorry to make it personal...my bad.

Your take on this whole thing was incredibly shallow. Like a lot of folks here, if something isn't important to you, or out of your realm of experience, you minimize it as if it shouldn't be important to anyone, and then have no trouble going on and on about how insignificant it is.

Sorry to make this personal Dante...my bad. Oh and let me continue with keeping this personal. :doh:

Random thoughts:

RK I see your point, and mostly agree. But most athletes are heckled for under-performance, or, possibly some off the field transgression..not for simply existing. On the occasion where heckling goes over the line (I can't recall, but I seem to remember some rather tacky/tasteless heckling being flung at a college basketball coach, for something to do with his wife), there is usually some sort of "calling out" or "shaming" of it by somebody. What I witnessed (granted 20 years ago or so) with Martina Navritilova I think would embarass anyone today...but it didn't seem to bother anyone back then...or at least anyone with any sort of voice. This was about 6 or 7 years after Navritolova had "come out". People yelling things like "Man against woman", or "Martina we can see your bulge".

The local morning yokels here (Texas) are taking the angle that Collins is a "scumbag" because he led a woman on for 7 years, that he was straight...the one guy is a former college running back (short stint with the NY Giants) from Boston College, and was also a RB coach with the Longhorns during the Ricky Williams era...he seems to be the most offended by this whole thing...funny thing is, after listening to him for about 15 minutes almost every morning, for years, I have always had my suspicions that he isn't what he portrays himself to be.

On the flip side of the coin, I also see, today, where ESPN apologized for Chris Broussards comments...which I think is absolutely ludicrous.They employ Chris Broussard to be Chris Broussard. The nature of about 66% of ESPN's programming seems to be to argue, have strong opinons...but don't come down on the "wrong side" of the argument. I am sure Broussard will be suspended (if he hasn't been already) or fired. If we need to make room for homosexulity in our society, than we need to make room for people with opposing views as well.

Great post.

I know this isn't the PC thing to say, but I am just sick of hearing about gay this and gay that. I'm also sick of hearing about concussions in football. Even though I know they are important, too.

My thing about the gay issue is that it's a never ending string of firsts. Now it'll be a big deal with the first hockey player comes out and on and on.

When Ellen came out - and I think her character came out - I was like why is this a big deal? I thought we went though all this 15-20 years ago with Billy Crystal's character on Soap?.................I recently saw that some show is going to be a big deal because it will be the first gay couple as the lead characters. Well, what about Modern Family? Sorry, not lead characters. Well, what about Will and Grace - sorry, not a couple. Etc................So, if this show is a drama, then the next one will be the FIRST lead couple in a comedy. Or, vice versa if this is a comedy.

And, I am all for equal rights, so that is not my issue.

On the flip side of the coin, I also see, today, where ESPN apologized for Chris Broussards comments...which I think is absolutely ludicrous.They employ Chris Broussard to be Chris Broussard. The nature of about 66% of ESPN's programming seems to be to argue, have strong opinons...but don't come down on the "wrong side" of the argument. I am sure Broussard will be suspended (if he hasn't been already) or fired. If we need to make room for homosexulity in our society, than we need to make room for people with opposing views as well.

im sort of in agreement on a broad level, but part on the fence.... im no fan of forced opinions, and think CB should be allowed to have his. I also think ESPN should be allowed to censor the reporters on their airwaves as they see fit though.

you can have a minority opinion on a topic, but sometimes there are consequences - especially in the workplace - when you publicly express it. we will see what comes of him.

I know this isn't the PC thing to say, but I am just sick of hearing about gay this and gay that. I'm also sick of hearing about concussions in football. Even though I know they are important, too.

My thing about the gay issue is that it's a never ending string of firsts. Now it'll be a big deal with the first hockey player comes out and on and on.

When Ellen came out - and I think her character came out - I was like why is this a big deal? I thought we went though all this 15-20 years ago with Billy Crystal's character on Soap?.................I recently saw that some show is going to be a big deal because it will be the first gay couple as the lead characters. Well, what about Modern Family? Sorry, not lead characters. Well, what about Will and Grace - sorry, not a couple. Etc................So, if this show is a drama, then the next one will be the FIRST lead couple in a comedy. Or, vice versa if this is a comedy.

And, I am all for equal rights, so that is not my issue.

ill also somewhat agree on this side, that every first doesnt have to be celebrated... but on that token i dont feel like ive been forced into any of that, and i think the term "big deal" is thrown into this post as loosely as a few people used "hero" in the Collins story. People can be excited, or note something happening without it being a big deal. collins will be forgotten in about 5 minutes, and none of this will amount to a big deal unless you invited the coverage into your life.

Funny, but I read that and said Who is Collins?

Big deal meaning lots of press coverage.

Haha - I think that proves how little a deal it is no?

Our press is out of control with covering everything. I've stopped using them as a serious barometer. The guy feeling comfortable enough to come out is good - America's reaction seems to be "good for him" while the press are trying to fill space with a fabricated flavor of the week story.

Haha - I think that proves how little a deal it is no?

Our press is out of control with covering everything. I've stopped using them as a serious barometer. The guy feeling comfortable enough to come out is good - America's reaction seems to be "good for him" while the press are trying to fill space with a fabricated flavor of the week story.

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying..........In a similar vein, I listened to Tony Kornheiser's radio show today (from yesterday - damn sales weasels). He's in Washington, and started the show by saying obviously the big news of the day is that Jason Collins is a Washington Wizard - who knew?.................I guess he got traded there from Boston in a deadline deal.

Now the next thing will be the first male athlete from the big four sports that somebody had heard of before Monday.

gay non-gay whatever floats your boat i say.......but bible thumpers have had certain thoughts ingrained since a very young age.........hard to fault either side.

And it would be hypocritical for ESPN to fire him since a majority of their viewers probably make up Jewish, christian and Muslim faith. And a majority of rabbis, priests and clerics would most likely agree with brousssards interpretation. I personally think its crap calling someone a sinner for their gender orientation in sex, but I don't begrudge someone else saying or thinking it provided they don't express it in a discriminatory manner. If Collins really was this all understanding good guy bent on inclusion, he should make a similar statement too and let guys like Wallace and broussard off the hook.

And it would be hypocritical for ESPN to fire him since a majority of their viewers probably make up Jewish, christian and Muslim faith. And a majority of rabbis, priests and clerics would most likely agree with brousssards interpretation. I personally think its crap calling someone a sinner for their gender orientation in sex, but I don't begrudge someone else saying or thinking it provided they don't express it in a discriminatory manner. If Collins really was this all understanding good guy bent on inclusion, he should make a similar statement too and let guys like Wallace and broussard off the hook.

"And it would be hypocritical for ESPN to fire him since a majority of their viewers probably make up Jewish, christian and Muslim faith." - Throw in Atheists, and you've pretty much included the entire world.

"If Collins really was this all understanding good guy bent on inclusion, he should make a similar statement too and let guys like Wallace and broussard off the hook." - So .. in order for Collins to prove himself worthy of "inclusion," he needs to publicly forgive people for being ignorant asses. Brilliant.

"And it would be hypocritical for ESPN to fire him since a majority of their viewers probably make up Jewish, christian and Muslim faith." - Throw in Atheists, and you've pretty much included the entire world.

:lol: God, people are stupid.