Myths squashed last night...

eball

Oh there is lots. I'm convinced the media doesn't know anymore than the casual fan. There really isn't "media" anymore. Just a bunch of guys shotgunning opinion or thinking what's news is really just what the teams want you to put out there.

"Oh, Geno Smith/Star Lotuleilei/Sharif Floyd will all go before #5." WRONG.

Joeckel is the #1 pick because he's that good. WRONG.

All the bs about the Bills...from the Marrone/Nassib connection to the Barkley infatuation to the guard pick. WRONG.

Kelly will pick Dion Jordan for sure. He knows him! WRONG.

And on and on and on.

MYTH : Jerry Sullivan will hate the pick.

Jerry Sullivan: Credit Bills for taking bold path

On Thursday night, the Bills lived up to that promise. They got their franchise quarterback, E.J. Manuel, a prospect who lacked the polish of some of the other college passers on the board but possesses the athletic talent and potential to be a star in the NFL.

Buddy Nix had said all along that it was time for the Bills to get their franchise quarterback. He said there were two or three franchise QBs in this draft. Nix also said it was a scary prospect to trade away the teams No. 8 overall pick to move back and collect more picks.

But he took the risk, anyway. The Bills moved out of the eighth spot, sending the pick to St. Louis for the Rams; first-rounder (No. 16 overall), plus the Rams; second- and seventh-rounders. The teams swapped picks in the third round, with the Rams moving up seven spots.

Nix took the chance that no one would take a quarterback between Nos. 8 and 16.

In recent days, there had been a lot of buzz that the Jets, who had the ninth and 13th picks after trading Darrelle Revis, would take a quarterback to help them move away from Mark Sanchez.

The Bills didnt care. They made the deal with the Rams. It was a pretty solid gamble, and it worked out. They got Manuel and an extra second-round pick that will help build depth into a roster that desperately needed it.

It was a shrewd maneuver, the kind the Bills have failed to execute too many times over the past decade or so. You wonder if they might have moved back, collected an extra pick, and still gotten Aaron Maybin, Leodis McKelvin or Donte Whitner. Instead, they gave away picks to make dubious moves up the board for the likes of J.P. Losman and John McCargo.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130426/SPORTS/130429362/1004

Edited by papazoid

My point only is that trading down isn't in Nix's DNA....

Where did you formulate that myth from though?

I'm not going to do the research for the average number of 1st round trade downs but at this point I would guestimate that Nix's 1 in 4 years with a trade down(25%) is far, far, far higher than the league average.

#1 -- Buddy Nix will "never" trade down

#2 -- Bills hired Marrone so they could draft Nassib to "sell tickets"

#3 -- Bills won't pick a QB in the 1st round

Others?

I take credit for #2, and I am here to admit it. But there are reasons why I (and others) felt this way. After we drafted Spiller, Mr. Wilson was quoted as saying that the team needed "excitement." To me, excitement is winning football games. In any event, Bills Fans are worn out from the endless parade of useless first round draft picks, in terms of building a winning team.

It was different this time. I don't have a clue as to whether or not EJ can play well at the NFL level. Absolutely no idea. What I DO know is that if we must miss, let's miss while trying to get a legit starting QB. AND, the fact that whe added more picks is icing on the cake imo.

I hope that the Bills do not waste the second rounders. History tells us that they do more often than not. But moves like last night are what it takes to build a winning team. It was time to end the seemingly endless parade of running backs and defensive backs.

So although EJ was not my choice, put me on record as supporting this move, and I will be rooting with all I have for him to play well. Bills Fans deserve a break.

I take credit for #2, and I am here to admit it. But there are reasons why I (and others) felt this way. After we drafted Spiller, Mr. Wilson was quoted as saying that the team needed "excitement." To me, excitement is winning football games. In any event, Bills Fans are worn out from the endless parade of useless first round draft picks, in terms of building a winning team.

It was different this time. I don't have a clue as to whether or not EJ can play well at the NFL level. Absolutely no idea. What I DO know is that if we must miss, let's miss while trying to get a legit starting QB. AND, the fact that whe added more picks is icing on the cake imo.

I hope that the Bills do not waste the second rounders. History tells us that they do more often than not. But moves like last night are what it takes to build a winning team. It was time to end the seemingly endless parade of running backs and defensive backs.

So although EJ was not my choice, put me on record as supporting this move, and I will be rooting with all I have for him to play well. Bills Fans deserve a break.

Cheers! Go Bills!

But he does have the GlenGarry leads, and those are GOLD!

:lol: Awesome.

I still think trading down almost killed him.

Sounded like he had the chance to move back again from 16, and couldn't stomach the risk.

Trading down again would have killed me, never mind Buddy. :(

Now that we are hearing, and soon will be seeing, if what we are hearing is to be believed, what we are about multiple teams moving up/taking QBs in the top of the 2nd? Imagine, if you will that we had traded down to say...Atllanta's pick at 30...everybody would have been saying "Best draft ever!"

...until...

The Eagles, instead of the Vikings, traded up to the Pats* spot and took Manuel. (Or the Jets(less likley or very expensive), Jags, Browns)

Then...what would be be said around here? You know: "Dammit! Belechick screwed us again. This FO is completely outlcassed by the Pats"

You know that's what would be said, and what % chance would there be of that happening, exactly as I describe?

Bill

Continuing to prove why he is one of, if not the, most credible posters here.

But,...But....the Pats got 4 picks in the draft for their 31st pick!!!! People always will find fault no matter what.

To all the people whining about the pats* (and i know you aren't), the Bills will pick 3 times before the pats* make their 1st choice.

Bill

Continuing to prove why he is one of, if not the, most credible posters here.

Thanks for the kind words. And don't think that i will ever forget the help that you gave me in terms of picking a place for my daughter to live while attending law school. You are one of the people who make this place more than just a message board.

Thanks for the kind words. And don't think that i will ever forget the help that you gave me in terms of picking a place for my daughter to live while attending law school. You are one of the people who make this place more than just a message board.

Hey! Dammit! Don't tell posters that!

What are trying to do? Ruin everything? All my hard work?

I hope nobody from PPP sees this, then it will all be for naught. :wallbash: