Syria

B-Man

You may be right. The fall of the Shah of Iran hasn't been good for us and I doubt the people of Iran were any better off with his departure. It just might be that democracy is not a good path for people of certain heritage(s). Islam may be a peaceful religion but there is a high enough percentage of radicals in that religion who want no separation of church and state. They (the radicals) are also violent people who only understand and respect strength. In a figurative sense, their vote as they hold on to their rocket propelled grenade launcher, is worth a 1000 times what the shopkeeper's vote is worth. They will be creating more Irans, ruled by fundamentalist Muslims and Sharia Law. So, with all the countries over there that have or will overthrow their rulers, not one will be friendlier to the U.S.

And that'll keep going until Martin ibn-Luther nails his ninety-five fatwas to the door of the al-Aqsa mosque. Islam hasn't had a Reformation like Christianity did.

Which is also why the comparisons of "Well, Christianity was violent too!" are usually apt - Islam right now is about where Christianity was pre-Reformation. Not an excuse, but you do have to understand that to understand the problems Islam both faces and causes in the modern world.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And that'll keep going until Martin ibn-Luther nails his ninety-five fatwas to the door of the al-Aqsa mosque. Islam hasn't had a Reformation like Christianity did.

Which is also why the comparisons of "Well, Christianity was violent too!" are usually apt - Islam right now is about where Christianity was pre-Reformation. Not an excuse, but you do have to understand that to understand the problems Islam both faces and causes in the modern world.

I know, christianity, or their defenders didn't always represent the best in this world. Doesn't mean schit now. I'm talking about what is happening in this world now, today.

Senator McCain Goes to Syria

The Daily Beast’s Josh Rogin reports that Senator John McCain ventured into Syria recently to visit with rebel fighters, taking a detour from his official trip to Turkey (where he also met with anti-Assad rebels). McCain was accompanied on his tour by General Salim Idriss, a defector from Assad’s army who has won fans in the West by rejecting the most extreme and jihadist elements of the opposition, including the Nusrah Front, which is essentially a branch of al-Qaeda in Iraq, and otherwise appearing like a man McCain and others can do business with.

The (East) German-educated soldier and engineer, unfortunately, appears to have very little influence or credibility among the rebels — McCain, presumably, would like to try to change that with an influx of American aid for the good general.

Senator McCain, one of the cheerleaders of the U.S./NATO intervention in Libya (where he also met with rebels) has been calling for more U.S. intervention in Syria for a long time now, and he’s a strident supporter of shipping arms to the opposition. The European Union could be on the verge of making that leap — ahead of a meeting of the union’s foreign ministers this week, Britain and France announced that they would support lifting the current embargo on weapons transfers to Syria.

The EU just recently announced that they would be lifting sanctions on Syrian oil exports because the rebels now control most of the supplies, and they’d like to indirectly aid them — unfortunately, since the Nusrah Front controls much of the oil supplies (the Assad regime actually has actually sent the group millions of dollars to kep its own oil supplies flowing), this puts the EU in the clear position of subsidizing a branch of al-Qaeda. That’s actually nothing new, given France and other nations’ penchant for paying the ransoms that fund al-Qaeda in North and West Africa, but such inadvertent support for terrorists and enemies of the West will be less of an obvious concern, but no less an important one, if the U.S. does decide to begin sending arms to the rebels themselves (less obvious since, in theory, a group such as the Nusra Front will not be receiving U.S. weapons).

For now, the U.S. is facilitating the flow of arms from Gulf nations, especially Qatar, to the rebel groups, attempting to keep the weapons out of undesirables’ hands. How well that’s working is anyone’s guess for now, but it’s clear that those undesirables, whom Idriss has been picked to sideline and provide an alternative to, are the most effective fighters in Syria. They’re actually doing a good business in recruiting fighters from the umbrella Free Syrian Army — that’s the group Idriss is supposed to run some day, and presumably Senator McCain believes he could do so with hundreds of millions of American dollars to fund and control them.

972223_268526443291738_1860659300_a.png

I know, christianity, or their defenders didn't always represent the best in this world. Doesn't mean schit now. I'm talking about what is happening in this world now, today.

My point. It absolutely does means **** when the Islamic world is living back then.

My point. It absolutely does means **** when the Islamic world is living back then.

You can't absolve modern day Christianity from the current situation when you have Christian Zionists like a lyndsey graham supporting illegal israeli west bank settlers because he can't wait to get all the jews back in the middle east so the Messiah can return and give them an ultimatum to convert or go to hell. And he's using the power of the state on top of that.

You can't absolve modern day Christianity from the current situation when you have Christian Zionists like a lyndsey graham supporting illegal israeli west bank settlers because he can't wait to get all the jews back in the middle east so the Messiah can return and give them an ultimatum to convert or go to hell. And he's using the power of the state on top of that.

I would say you are a little heavy on the angry hippy tone at the moment.

So, "Conservatives", would this be acceptable behavior for a Democratic U.S. Senator if your guy was sitting in the Executive? Yeah, didn't think so.

Nice job, Senator McCain. <_<

"Didn't think so"......I believe you meant to write "I don't feel so"..................because there's not much thinking in your little supposition...........lol

Oh, and if you don't "think" that Sen. McCain didn't clear his little trip with the present administration...............................you are kidding yourself.

So, "Conservatives", would this be acceptable behavior for a Democratic U.S. Senator if your guy was sitting in the Executive? Yeah, didn't think so.

At first I thought he was embarrassing himself and everyone because it was something of a rogue mission, but I heard today the WH knew about it in advance...whatever that means. I'm of the mindset that if the WH wants you to go, they ask you. Otherwise, you don't interfere.

That said, if a conservative wanted to be hypocritical and pretend this is okay just because Obama is in the WH, an actual conservative would call bullschitt because the only time McCain looks conservative is when he's standing next to Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, or his "Republican" daughter.

"Didn't think so"......I believe you meant to write "I don't feel so"..................because there's not much thinking in your little supposition...........lol

Ooh, good one. That really stung.

Oh, and if you don't "think" that Sen. McCain didn't clear his little trip with the present administration...............................you are kidding yourself..

The fact that both sides don't understand nuance or foreign policy doesn't make anything about this Ok. Try again.

PLEASE put me back on ignore, you knucklehead.

Now Israel is threatening Russia http://news.yahoo.co...-132538404.html

Israel and Russia in conflict, draws US in ... Nice work Obama and Hillary!

That's okay, because Roosevelt started Israel to combat bolshevism in the Middle East.

Yeah, but he's not wearing a headscarf and bowing. And he's meting with the "good" side.

PLEASE put me back on ignore, you knucklehead.

That's okay, because Roosevelt started Israel to combat bolshevism in the Middle East.

I'm telling you, like I posted last night, he's working on the sequel, History of the World, Part ll, without the Mel Brooks humor.

Yeah, but he's not wearing a headscarf and bowing. And he's meting with the "good" side.

Yah, the side that has many elements of Al Qaeda associated with it. Of course the other side has Hezbollah. Let 'em have at it. They deserve it.