Is Mallet as good as any of these QB's and would NE let us have hi

D521646

The question is in the title. Word is the Patriots want more than a third rounder. Even if we made a trade would it be worth it? I see we could gain a lot from that kind of trade, but what do you folks think? Would Bill send us his backup QB for the right price?

The question is in the title. Word is the Patriots want more than a third rounder. Even if we made a trade would it be worth it? I see we could gain a lot from that kind of trade, but what do you folks think? Would Bill send us his backup QB for the right price?

If Mallet was in this draft he would be the best graded prospect at QB by far. Add in all the experience in NE learning from Brady and BB and that culture and you have a guy that to me is head and shoulders above any grade you can give to any QB in this draft and a 3rd round pick would be a HUGE value to us. NE is terrible at drafting now too, so who cares if we give them a 3rd round pick to miss on as not only would be get a better QB prospect but we would also be able to use our 8 and 41 picks (or maybe even 3 or 4 picks in the first 2 or 3 rounds if we trade down) on putting more talent on this team.

MAKE THIS TRADE BUFFALO!!!!!!!!! They wont, but it would be SUBSTANTIALLY better idea than using our first or second on a QB in this class if it only cost us a 3rd.

If Mallet was in this draft he would be the best graded prospect at QB by far. Add in all the experience in NE learning from Brady and BB and that culture and you have a guy that to me is head and shoulders above any grade you can give to any QB in this draft and a 3rd round pick would be a HUGE value to us. NE is terrible at drafting now too, so who cares if we give them a 3rd round pick to miss on as not only would be get a better QB prospect but we would also be able to use our 8 and 41 picks (or maybe even 3 or 4 picks in the first 2 or 3 rounds if we trade down) on putting more talent on this team.

MAKE THIS TRADE BUFFALO!!!!!!!!! They wont, but it would be SUBSTANTIALLY better idea than using our first or second on a QB in this class if it only cost us a 3rd.

There is no way that if Mallet was a better player than Geno or Nassib or Barkley, the Pats would trade him for a #2 pick.

I love that NE is terrible at drafting but we should trade for one of their draft picks. :doh:

Probably, and no. You don't deal with the devil.

The time to get Mallett was prior to pick #74 of the 2011 draft. They were a bit too busy picking up studs like Kelvin Sheppard and Aaron Williams to address the years-long void at the all-important QB position with Mallett or Kaepernick.

I love that NE is terrible at drafting but we should trade for one of their draft picks. :doh:

Doesnt mean they havent made good picks, but people are terrified of sending them more picks. That was the point. And getting a first round talent in the 3rd round that year because of off field concerns was a major value pick for them.

Doesnt mean they havent made good picks, but people are terrified of sending them more picks. That was the point. And getting a first round talent in the 3rd round that year because of off field concerns was a major value pick for them.

Honestly I don't think it was a value pick for them. He was a third round choice that has received no playing time. Essentially a wasted pick if you will. Even if they are able to turn it into a second this year. Would you trade a 2013 3rd pick for a 2015 2nd round pick? That is what they are looking at. Add in the fact that he is a Petrino QB (limited success) with drug (not just weed but hard stuff) and attitude problems and it doesn't seem so great does it?

There is no way that if Mallet was a better player than Geno or Nassib or Barkley, the Pats would trade him for a #2 pick.

I actually I disagree. Teams have done extensive analysis on those guys for months. No one has been studying Mallet and wont have nearly the same stock value as one of these QB's. In a very deep QB class at draft time, Mallet was WIDELY considered the best passer in that draft and many very credible people felt he was by far the best passer that year. He only fell because of the off the field speculation. Take that away (which has been a non factor in the NFL) and you got a guy that being graded as just a QB (not on off field concerns that are now 4 years old) he would hands down grade out as the best QB in this draft and probably a top 10 pick. Go back and read all the analysis on him. People forget how touted his abilities to make ALL the throws was because people focus on the partying rumors. Not one QB in this draft is touted to being able to be excellent at making ALL the throws...not one, which is why this class of QB's is considered weak.

Honestly I don't think it was a value pick for them. He was a third round choice that has received no playing time. Essentially a wasted pick if you will. Even if they are able to turn it into a second this year. Would you trade a 2013 3rd pick for a 2015 2nd round pick? That is what they are looking at. Add in the fact that he is a Petrino QB (limited success) with drug (not just weed but hard stuff) and attitude problems and it doesn't seem so great does it?

You mean his rumored stuff? There has not been a single rumble of anything out of NE related to attitude, partying, drugs etc. He was a college student who had some fun and made some mistakes. It happens, but this guy has been groomed in NE behind Brady and from BB. There is NO reason to believe those issues still exist. Doesnt mean they don't, but at this point he has been a model citizen from what is known about him. I did some things when I was young that I never did again once I matured a lil more, and I am sure you did too. So why people insist on holding onto something that was 4 years ago and never actually confirmed is confusing to me

I actually I disagree. Teams have done extensive analysis on those guys for months. No one has been studying Mallet and wont have nearly the same stock value as one of these QB's. In a very deep QB class at draft time, Mallet was WIDELY considered the best passer in that draft and many very credible people felt he was by far the best passer that year. He only fell because of the off the field speculation. Take that away (which has been a non factor in the NFL) and you got a guy that being graded as just a QB (not on off field concerns that are now 4 years old) he would hands down grade out as the best QB in this draft and probably a top 10 pick. Go back and read all the analysis on him. People forget how touted his abilities to make ALL the throws was because people focus on the partying rumors. Not one QB in this draft is touted to being able to be excellent at making ALL the throws...not one, which is why this class of QB's is considered weak.

I understand all that. But I'm talking about the Patriots. They are going to have one guy they think is better than all of the others. Lets just say it is Geno Smith for argument purposes. If Bellichick thinks that Ryan Mallet is better than the best guy on their board at QB, he's not going to trade Mallet for a #3 pick. He's going to keep him and use the #3 on another position.

Mallet hasn't played all that well on the Pats. At times he's sucked. I doubt they think that high of him at all, which is why they would trade him for a #2 or #3. I would never make a trade for Mallet in the top 3 rounds.

You mean his rumored stuff? There has not been a single rumble of anything out of NE related to attitude, partying, drugs etc. He was a college student who had some fun and made some mistakes. It happens, but this guy has been groomed in NE behind Brady and from BB. There is NO reason to believe those issues still exist. Doesnt mean they don't, but at this point he has been a model citizen from what is known about him. I did some things when I was young that I never did again once I matured a lil more, and I am sure you did too. So why people insist on holding onto something that was 4 years ago and never actually confirmed is confusing to me

His attitude wasn't rumored stuff and I think the drug thing is a concern. At this point he is probably not doing drugs and hasn't caused problems. What happens when you make him the face of your franchise and give him millions? In Buffalo no less. I think attitude and partying (read not taking his responsibilities seriously) have to be a concern. Learning under BB and Brady is overblown as well. Name me one qb they have let go and then seen success. Hoyer - who some wanted to trade for? Cassell who went for a second? BB and Brady are phenomenal. It doesn't mean they are good at teaching Mallett how to be a QB. I'm not a fan and would be very concerned if they were willing to trade him within the division.

I understand all that. But I'm talking about the Patriots. They are going to have one guy they think is better than all of the others. Lets just say it is Geno Smith for argument purposes. If Bellichick thinks that Ryan Mallet is better than the best guy on their board at QB, he's not going to trade Mallet for a #3 pick. He's going to keep him and use the #3 on another position.

Mallet hasn't played all that well on the Pats. At times he's sucked. I doubt they think that high of him at all, which is why they would trade him for a #2 or #3. I would never make a trade for Mallet in the top 3 rounds.

I understand that, but the Pats are realizing their window is closing. They want to win now, not later. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Mallet will be a FA LONG before Brady is done in NE and will walk 100% for sure for nothing. There is no value in holding onto a guy who will never start for you (barring injury) when you can trade him for a pick that could help fill holes that can help you win while they still have Brady. That have a few more seasons to find Bradys replacement, but Mallet will not be there one way or another to be that guy.

So, its either hold on to Mallet and get nothing for him when he walks and also have him contribute nothing (barring injury to Brady) while they have him behind one of the best QB's in the league, or trade him and get a player who can come in and help you win some games while Brady is still at the top of the league.

His 5.37 40 time is a red flag

lol...this again. Whats Bradys 40 time? How about Mannings? What about Rivers? What about Brees? 40 time is literally the single least important stat for a QB unless you are a running QB like a Vick or RG3. 40 times literally have zero, and I mean zero, relevance to a pocket passer.

If he was better than those guys, NE would ask for more. They don't want a Brady injury to ruin their team, and they don't know how many more years Tom will actually play.

I am sure he has learned a lot in his time with NE, but hasn't he been third on their depth chart in garbage time reps (i.e. when Gronk is breaking his arm on PATs)?

Big arm is fun, but I don't think he has Barkley's football IQ, mid range accuracy, or decision making, and those are the traits we need most.

If NE* is willing to trade him to us, I don’t want him. IMO, if BB thinks he’s good, he’s not trading him in the division where he’ll have to face him twice a year. BB would only do that if he believed he wasn’t a threat and that he could beat him...like when he traded Bledsoe to us.

If Mallett is so good...

1) why would the Pats move him knowing their starter will be 36 before the 2013 season? Maybe because they know he sucks and couldn't take over for Brady?

2) why aren't any teams interested in rummaging through the Pats rubbish pile? Because Mallet sucks?

If Mallett is so good...

1) why would the Pats move him knowing their starter will be 36 before the 2013 season? Maybe because they know he sucks and couldn't take over for Brady?

2) why aren't any teams interested in rummaging through the Pats rubbish pile? Because Mallet sucks?

If NE* is willing to trade him to us, I don’t want him. IMO, if BB thinks he’s good, he’s not trading him in the division where he’ll have to face him twice a year. BB would only do that if he believed he wasn’t a threat and that he could beat him...like when he traded Bledsoe to us.

I already addressed this. Why no one understands that they will lose Mallet for nothing is beyond me. Mallet is a soon to be FA and will not stick around 3 more years in hopes Brady falls off. He will 100% leave in FA unless the Pats over pay him to be a backup, which they won't. This isnt that complicated. They want to win NOW and its either keep him to sit and let him walk for nothing or trade him and get a player elsewhere who can help you win again before Brady leaves.

These comments of "if they are willing to trade him then he must not be good" are really kind of ridiculous because those statements actually take nothing about the actual scenario into account and have zero football merit.

I am not saying this kid will be this or that, I am saying he is a better prospect than any QB in this draft in terms of passing ability IMO. Pats have no choice but to try and trade him and get something of value back to help Brady and this team win before Brady is done. They have 3 more years at least to find a Brady replacement, and Mallet is in no way going to wait until he is almost 30 before he gets a chance to start his career.

Edited by Alphadawg7

LAUGHING MY ASS OFF

Man, education in this country has gone to hell.

I already addressed this. Why no one understands that they will lose Mallet for nothing is beyond me. Mallet is a soon to be FA and will not stick around 3 more years in hopes Brady falls off. He will 100% leave in FA unless the Pats over pay him to be a backup, which they won't. This isnt that complicated. They want to win NOW and its either keep him to sit and let him walk for nothing or trade him and get a player elsewhere who can help you win again before Brady leaves.

These comments of "if they are willing to trade him then he must not be good" are really kind of ridiculous because those statements actually take nothing about the actual scenario into account and have zero football merit.

I am not saying this kid will be this or that, I am saying he is a better prospect than any QB in this draft in terms of passing ability IMO. Pats have no choice but to try and trade him and get something of value back to help Brady and this team win before Brady is done. They have 3 more years at least to find a Brady replacement, and Mallet is in no way going to wait until he is almost 30 before he gets a chance to start his career.

Mallett has another 2 years under contract with the Pats, Alpha. They don't have to trade him until next year. What they're praying is some team is dumb enough to trade for him, because of the weakness of this year's draft class. He's looked bad in games so far, which is worse than a draftee who hasn't even played.

Mallett has another 2 years under contract with the Pats, Alpha. They don't have to trade him until next year. What they're praying is some team is dumb enough to trade for him, because of the weakness of this year's draft class. He's looked bad in games so far, which is worse than a draftee who hasn't even played.

I heard for years how Brian Hoyer was the next great QB because he was Brady's backup.

LAUGHING MY ASS OFF

Probably because you know nothing about Mallet other than his irrelevant 40 time or his rumored college days.

None of this matters anyway because this trade will not be happening. I do think there is a very good chance he will be traded, but not to us. This is all a mute point. I think the strongest rumor is Cleveland trading for him, which would still be good for us because it takes them out of the running to go QB in the top of 2nd making it more enticing to stand pat and wait for a QB at 41.

Gonna be interesting to come back and revisit all these Mallet comments later if he gets a chance to start. I stand by my opinion that it was a mistake to not take him in the 3rd round when we had the chance and I still think this kid has a ton of upside. He could flame out, I have no crystal ball, but I see a prospect with abilities very few prospects I have seen have in terms of being able to make all the throws. I would rather risk a 3rd round pick on a guy like that than a 1st or 2nd on guys just as risky in this years draft.

Thats all, nothing more, nothing less. Just see value at risking a 3rd on him over say a first on Geno, Barkley, or Nassib.

I understand that, but next years QB class is much more higher regarded and his value will never be as high as it is THIS year. And Brady will also be a year older. Again, they want to win now and the window with Brady is closing. I didnt say hee will be a FA next year, but he wont be worth as much and him being on the roster this year likely does nothing to help the Pats win a SB assuming Brady stays healthy which he has his whole career except for a freak play. If they wait til next year, because of the better QB class and the fact he is a soon to be FA after that season, they will be lucky to get 4th or 5th for him. This year they can likely get a 3rd and maybe a 2nd (although I would only want to use a 3rd). That pick could translate into a starter or rotational guy this year that can impact the upcoming season.

Edited by Alphadawg7