My surprise pick at #8

Lets face it, Bills have been known to make a few surprise first round picks...Whitner, Spiller (although it was long rumored, not many believed it), McGahee, etc.

I don't know why, but I woke up this morning feeling a change in where I think the Bills will go at 8. I literally woke up and was making my coffee thinking about the draft and just started thinking that the Bills may shock some people and draft Tyler Eifert, TE from Notre Dame. This came to me before I even got on the internet.

Then I get on my computer to check for any announcements about Dansby, any rumors, etc leading up to draft day. That's when I see a story from Adam Schefter about Tyler Eifert and how he believes he may go top 10 in the draft. Literally first time I had seen anyone reference him in the top 10.

Then I get on TSW and see a rumor thread (admittedly with little significant sources in it, but interesting none the less) about Buffalo rumored to be in talks with SF to move to the bottom of round 1 from their 2nd round pick. Again, that thread provided no real source to that rumor, but it would be a move that would make sense. And I found it interesting based on how my morning started.

I fully admit, there is NO substance behind my belief, however, this move could make sense because:

1) TE value has never been higher.

2) Fits EXACTLY what Nix wants...a guy who is open even when he is not.

3) Tyler is a way safer pick than any QB at 8.

4) Nothing is more valuable to a young QB than a great receiving TE who can bail him out.

5) Bills seem to be trying find a way to NOT take a QB at 8.

6) He is one of the best prospects in this draft and very well could be the BPA on the Bills board at 8.

7) If we did get the Niners pick at 31, its very possible the QB they covet at 8 will still be there, or at least one of their top 3 will be and they would prefer to take a guy like that there.

it could also play out that the Bills do trade down with a team like the Rams after Austin and take Eifert there. Either way, Eifert would be our first pick of this draft.

Anyway, feel free to flame away. I am not claiming at all that there is any rumor, speculation, or substance to this. But I have the same feeling about this I did the day before the draft when we took Spiller. Means nothing really, but felt I would share to see how people would feel if this did happen. Besides, bored talking about the same old recycled stories.

MY OPINION IF IT DID HAPPEN: I would like it...we need a guy like him on this team and I think that is a dynamic this team could really use and would take a lot of pressure of WR group. Not to mention the TWIN TOWER TE's we would roll out in the redzone would be very hard to cover.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its gonna be QB or trade down. Personally I wish we could move back into the first round ahead of time (making a deal with our 2nd rounder with someone with dual firsts) and take Tavon Austin then QB. BUT with Stevie moving into the slot I don't see that happening

i thought of this, though can't say i'd bet on it unless they trade down a few picks. hard to believe they really want to wait until 41 for a QB.

if they trade down, i could see them going after Ertz with an early 2nd rounder instead.

I agree...I do not think Buffalo is prepared to wait until pick 41 to take a QB. This would likely happen only if the Bills had a plan in place to trade back into round 1 using our 2nd and a pick next year, or a combo of picks in a situation where we traded down. Still, you never know, they may just roll the dice and take him and hope their QB falls to them.

Also, I am not sold that the Bills are not sending smoke screens about the QB's in hopes other teams take them first. They could be targeting a guy like Tyler Wilson (who many think is one of the top 3 QB's in this draft, and some the top) at 41 thinking he could slide to them there. Who knows, thats what makes the draft interesting is all the potential different ways it can go, the smoke screens, etc.

Its gonna be QB or trade down. Personally I wish we could move back into the first round ahead of time (making a deal with our 2nd rounder with someone with dual firsts) and take Tavon Austin then QB. BUT with Stevie moving into the slot I don't see that happening

I am with you on that, I still think that is the most likely two scenarios even though I have this feeling about Eifert. And Tavon would be the other surprise guy they may go with as you said if they do secure a second first round pick. But, Eifert fits the description of what Nix wants more than Austin. And TJ Graham is a poor mans Austin as they play the same style. They have a lot belief in Graham, so not sure they want to take another tiny WR before they really figure out what they have in Graham. And not that it means much, but Graham was the standout at the 3 day camp recently too.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I posted the same thing weeks ago here somewhere. He is my choice for being #1.

I think he solves all of the issues you addressed here...

4) Nothing is more valuable to a young QB than a great receiving TE who can bail him out.

6) He is one of the best prospects in this draft and very well could be the BPA on the Bills board at 8.

PLUS... he eliminates the need to draft a WR high, and he would be a perfect complement to Chandler in two TE situations because when on the field together, we would be able to split them both wide or put them both inline. This will make the defense not know whether to have a pass package or a run package against it, exponentially more effective in an up tempo or hurry up.

That will help the run game, and CJ/FredEx a ton.

Eifert is one of the top five no bust guys in the whole draft.

Eifert also fits what Marrone and Hackett want to do.

Plus Eifert plus any WR in say the third, to me, is better for the Bills than the top WR and any TE in the third.

I posted the same thing weeks ago here somewhere. He is my choice for being #1.

I think he solves all of the issues you addressed here...

PLUS... he eliminates the need to draft a WR high, and he would be a perfect complement to Chandler in two TE situations because when on the field together, we would be able to split them both wide or put them both inline. This will make the defense not know whether to have a pass package or a run package against it, exponentially more effective in an up tempo or hurry up.

That will help the run game, and CJ/FredEx a ton.

Eifert is one of the top five no bust guys in the whole draft.

Eifert also fits what Marrone and Hackett want to do.

Plus Eifert plus any WR in say the third, to me, is better for the Bills than the top WR and any TE in the third.

My feelings exactly...like I said, I have no evidence of this pick but I just have this feeling he is the guy.

Edited by Alphadawg7

did the Bills even bring Eifert in? i know they brought the TE from Rice in and reportedly are high on him...obviously not at 8 though but can see them taking him in the third round

the Bills do make surprising picks but i dont see them taking Eifert

Lets face it, Bills have been known to make a few surprise first round picks...Whitner, Spiller (although it was long rumored, not many believed it), McGahee, etc.

I don't know why, but I woke up this morning feeling a change in where I think the Bills will go at 8. I literally woke up and was making my coffee thinking about the draft and just started thinking that the Bills may shock some people and draft Tyler Eifert, TE from Notre Dame. This came to me before I even got on the internet.

Then I get on my computer to check for any announcements about Dansby, any rumors, etc leading up to draft day. That's when I see a story from Adam Schefter about Tyler Eifert and how he believes he may go top 10 in the draft. Literally first time I had seen anyone reference him in the top 10.

Then I get on TSW and see a rumor thread (admittedly with little significant sources in it, but interesting none the less) about Buffalo rumored to be in talks with SF to move to the bottom of round 1 from their 2nd round pick. Again, that thread provided no real source to that rumor, but it would be a move that would make sense. And I found it interesting based on how my morning started.

I fully admit, there is NO substance behind my belief, however, this move could make sense because:

7) If we did get the Niners pick at 31, its very possible the QB they covet at 8 will still be there, or at least one of their top 3 will be and they would prefer to take a guy like that there.

it could also play out that the Bills do trade down with a team like the Rams after Austin and take Eifert there. Either way, Eifert would be our first pick of this draft.

Anyway, feel free to flame away. I am not claiming at all that there is any rumor, speculation, or substance to this. But I have the same feeling about this I did the day before the draft when we took Spiller. Means nothing really, but felt I would share to see how people would feel if this did happen. Besides, bored talking about the same old recycled stories.

MY OPINION IF IT DID HAPPEN: I would like it...we need a guy like him on this team and I think that is a dynamic this team could really use and would take a lot of pressure of WR group. Not to mention the TWIN TOWER TE's we would roll out in the redzone would be very hard to cover.

Holy ****, I thought the EXACT same thing today! I was actually mulling posting this very thought but didn't have the nerve to do it, especially since my posts haven't been too popular lately. He fits what we need maybe even more than a QB. I think that the Bills do grab a QB in the 2nd rd without a trade up or maybe even later. We have Kolb and from what I have heard Jackson hasn't looked hateful. On the other hand our TEs position looks piss poor as of now, especially with Chandler being such a question mark. Grabbing someone to develope behind these 2 like Landry Jones in the 2nd or 3rd rd would make more sense to me than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with these earlier prospects at QB. Hey, Jones even got a vote of approval from Bill Polian and if he 's good enough for Polian than he's good enough for me. Well, needless to say here's to an interesting draft! Go Bills!

I would bet the house against this - he never came to O.P. for a pre-draft visit with the Bills. Nix's has been pretty consistent in the first 2 rounds regarding drafting players he has had in for a visit...

Agreed. I don't see it happening by any means, but who can say for sure? It would be a pleasant surprise, though.