"We got the guy we wanted all along."

Regardless of who the Bills select as a QB, unless it is #8 and the first QB off the board, that is likely to be the verbatim post draft statement and mantra from everyone associated with the team, and they will go on to say it was consensus.

It's also likely to be utter bullshhit. Of course, it's possible that it is true, and they lucked out, and they were all in agreement, but it is something we fans will likely never ever know.

There is even a decent chance that if they take one at 41, and they say he was the guy they wanted all along, he could have been the 3rd or 4th or even 5th rated QB on their board.

The chances are also highly likely that these guys are bunched up very closely. And between five QBs they may have one rated 84, one 83, one 82, etc (or whatever their system is).

Add that to the fact that depending on who they draft at #8, the qualities of the QB and who they like may slightly change. For example, if, say, they were smitten with Patterson or Austin, and took one of them at #8, they may (repeat may) be more inclined to want to draft a guy with a bigger arm like Glennon, Bray, Jones, etc. If they draft Eifert, they may want a guy who will spread it around a little better. If they draft a lineman, Barkley and his rag arm may not be as big of an issue as they may want to run the ball more and his slightly better smarts may slightly outweigh another's slightly better arm.

We don't know, and they don't know, who is going to be available when their pick comes up, and what they are willing to give up to move up when they inevitably make calls to.

The only thing we do know is, in retrospect, "this was the guy we wanted all along", and fans, including myself, will likely use some of those quotes in years to come as back-up for our posts.

It just won't likely be true. ;)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope for Marrone's sake they get the "guy they wanted" and he ends up being good. He might end up being the best coach in the world but if they get a bum QB with this pick then he will be out in 3 yrs and the coaching carousel will continue in Buffalo

The same holds true for the posters. We'll get:

"This is a great pick. Love this pick!"

or

"This is the worst pick in the history of the franchise. This guy has bust written all over him"

Lol very true. This place is going to be a mad house tomorrow night. People praising their pick and guys like me who are pesimistic about everything the front office does after years of losing. Can't wait

And the same will hold true to whomever we draft. That player will say "I'm happy to be a Buffalo Bill, it's where I wanted to be". Now... how much of that is true?

:lol: We need more honesty and transparency like that coming from our front office guys. That's what Bills fans deserve and demand.

Actually a lot, probably most in my opinion, of Bills fans want Nix to say exactly what he did when he hired Gailey, "We got the guy we wanted all along".

Truthful kool-aid doesn't taste as sweet as the other :)

And the same will hold true to whomever we draft. That player will say "I'm happy to be a Buffalo Bill, it's where I wanted to be". Now... how much of that is true?

As per Ruben Brown this morning on 103.3, guys are just happy to be drafted by any team and get some $$$. They can care less what team. If they play good then they can sign with whoever they want after that. I don't think anyone we get will be thinking oh crap Buffalo drafted me. At least I hope not

And think of what it'll be the night of the draft!!

Lol oops, I jumped the gun again! I just wish it was tomorrow. The suspense is killing me!!!

Telling the truth about a certain pick ("he was our 4th highest rated QB but we had to pick based on value") doesn't motivate and inspire, thus you will never hear it.

Once you pick em, you immediately become responsible for the care and feeding of their morale. Telling the fans the truth comes in a distant last place in the priority rankings.

As per Ruben Brown this morning on 103.3, guys are just happy to be drafted by any team and get some $$$. They can care less what team. If they play good then they can sign with whoever they want after that. I don't think anyone we get will be thinking oh crap Buffalo drafted me. At least I hope not

I remember watching the first round last year and when they had Gilmore on camera getting the call from the Bills he certainly did not have the face of a happy man :)

I remember watching the first round last year and when they had Gilmore on camera getting the call from the Bills he certainly did not have the face of a happy man :)

Was there a specific time you've seen Gilmore look very happy? I'm just wondering because he seems like a pretty low-key dude to me...I think that's just the way the kid is...I don't think he was unhappy at all... B-)

Was there a specific time you've seen Gilmore look very happy? I'm just wondering because he seems like a pretty low-key dude to me...I think that's just the way the kid is...I don't think he was unhappy at all... B-)

That could very well be. But I did not know thing one about Gilmore at that time and was just going by his body language.

That was not true at all. It was about 5 minutes after he knew the Bills took him. He'd already had a long talk with Chan I think, or maybe Nix but I think Chan, He was actually very happy at that moment he said, and was just reflecting on all the time and hard work it took him to get to the point of being drafted in the first round of the NFL draft. Reflective and melancholy.The first part of that is a fact, it was not right after he knew the Bills drafted him. The second part is what he said specifically about it, and after seeing the kind of guy he is that is very believable, far more believable than he was upset and was just saying that to cover up his real feelings.