Build for success - mock draft

I think you guys would be extremely happy with this, and I believe my scenario is within reason and the should be available....

Pick #8

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR Tennessee

The Bills clearly need more help on offense, Nix is sneaky and recently said he really likes Easley to step up, I think he is just throwing up smoke, and if he doesn't receive a real good trade offer to move back in the 1st he will pull the trigger on Patterson here. Gives us a much needed help at the WR position and will open things up for Stevie.

Pick #41

Arthur Brown, LB Kansas State

The Bills can add a very talented LB that can do it all, make tackles in the backfield and drop back and cover passes.

Pick #71

Travis Kelce, TE Cincinnati

Many teams are in love with Kelce but I think he will be available at pick 71. He is a big athletic TE that has a physical edge and is a big time receiving threat, he also plays with a lot of passion. He was a QB coming out of high school and has strong football knowledge. Here is a highlight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQV9gYczGk

Pick #105

Tyler Bray, QB Tennessee

The Bills finally grab a QB. I don't like any of the QBs in the draft, I think we are better off letting the winner of Kolb and Jackson start this season, and I anticipate it will be Kolb. I spoke with Bray's QB coach in college and he said Bray can be one hell of an NFL QB and would have been a top pick next year had he stayed another year at Tennessee with Butch Jones and company. Let him develop as most QBs should have to do, great value in round 4. (and if he develops it won't hurt having him play with Patterson)

**Trade Alert**

Buffalo Trades Fred Jackson and their 6th round pick to the Green Bay Packers for pick number 122.

Pick #122

Tyrann Mathieu, CB LSU

His drop history and being out of football for a year has certainly hurt his value, enough to see him sitting there in the 4th so Buffalo decides they are ready for Spiller time (I think they resigned Choice for a reason). This is has freakish talent and speed, the kid can't get into too much trouble in Buffalo, value is too great to pass up.

***As for the rest of the draft I chose the best players available***

Summary:

I know QB is a huge need for the Bills right now, but I don't think any of these guys are the answer, and drafting one early will just be a wasted pick (Losman or Edwards anyone?) A draft similar to this one will give Kolb something to work with on offense and Pettine some toys to play with on defense. The Bills will also boast a talented roster on offense (Spiller, Johnson, Patterson, Kelce, an offensive line that will be maturing into a very strong unit) for the QB of the future which we will draft next year, as I believe Marrone will throw the kitchen sink at getting the top QB in next year's draft. I'd much rather wait 2-3 years for a good team rather than watching the Bills try and patch together a good roster with questionable draft picks and has been free agents. Take two years to build a strong foundation through the draft then add free agents as deemed necessary.

Thoughts, suggestions, corrections? Flame away.

I can verify this.

source: Im an undersized pot head

Rofl.

I like Brown, who won't be there in rd 2 for us and I like Kelce & Matthieu. IMO, there's 1% chance Patterson is the pick and I pray we don't select Bray. There are worse drafts than this, but I wouldn't be happy with it (especially because Brown won't be there in rd 2).

And I just noticed trading Fred. That's just dumb.

Edited by NewEra

I don't understand how trading Fred is dumb. Let's face it, the Bills are better off trading a 32 year old RB who has been banged up the past couple of years while he still has value. Let the man play for a good team and get something in return while you can. The Bills are at least 2-3 years from being a legit contender, and that's only if they are lucky enough to find a QB that can consistently win them the big games. What's the point of having Jackson stay with us, maybe he gives us another 2 productive seasons if he can stay healthy. The bottom line is Fred won't be helping us win games at the age of 34/35. Spiller proved he can be the starter, and Choice is a solid number 2 option. I'd much rather take the risk on Mathieu, the kid would instantly give us a huge threat on special teams and has shown he can cover the best athletes in college. Let Pettine work with him, in a couple of years he may turn out to be a super star return specialst and an adequate CB. In two/three years I would surely take that over a 35 year old RB, especially since Spiller showed us he can be a superstar, and there are always great backup RBs to be had in later rounds or free agency.

You are pretty optimistic with this one. I would hate Patterson pick. But I guess everyone fits what they need.....

If there is any certainty in the #1 pick, I am certain it won't be Patterson.

I don't understand how trading Fred is dumb. Let's face it, the Bills are better off trading a 32 year old RB who has been banged up the past couple of years while he still has value. Let the man play for a good team and get something in return while you can. The Bills are at least 2-3 years from being a legit contender, and that's only if they are lucky enough to find a QB that can consistently win them the big games. What's the point of having Jackson stay with us, maybe he gives us another 2 productive seasons if he can stay healthy. The bottom line is Fred won't be helping us win games at the age of 34/35. Spiller proved he can be the starter, and Choice is a solid number 2 option. I'd much rather take the risk on Mathieu, the kid would instantly give us a huge threat on special teams and has shown he can cover the best athletes in college. Let Pettine work with him, in a couple of years he may turn out to be a super star return specialst and an adequate CB. In two/three years I would surely take that over a 35 year old RB, especially since Spiller showed us he can be a superstar, and there are always great backup RBs to be had in later rounds or free agency.

Because he's one of our best players. Still. At 32. Trading Fred AND a 6th for a 5th? Please. I'd rather take Mathieu instead of bray then take a QB in rd 6 and keep Fred.

1) If Buffalo does go WR in the first, they will have to take a QB in the second.

2) Brown IMO is going in the first round. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Brown is the first ILB off the board. Ogletree's DUI might have helped facilitate that but still.

3) Other than Cordy Glenn, Buddy Nix does not throw up smoke screens. The guy is more straight forward than anything else. We have seen that in various drafts as well as contract negotiations with current players. i.e. telling Fred Jackson they will take care of him. Ultimately, Buffalo gave FredEx that contract.

I think you guys would be extremely happy with this, and I believe my scenario is within reason and the should be available....

Pick #8

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR Tennessee

The Bills clearly need more help on offense, Nix is sneaky and recently said he really likes Easley to step up, I think he is just throwing up smoke, and if he doesn't receive a real good trade offer to move back in the 1st he will pull the trigger on Patterson here. Gives us a much needed help at the WR position and will open things up for Stevie.

Pick #41

Arthur Brown, LB Kansas State

The Bills can add a very talented LB that can do it all, make tackles in the backfield and drop back and cover passes.

Pick #71

Travis Kelce, TE Cincinnati

Many teams are in love with Kelce but I think he will be available at pick 71. He is a big athletic TE that has a physical edge and is a big time receiving threat, he also plays with a lot of passion. He was a QB coming out of high school and has strong football knowledge. Here is a highlight...

Pick #105

Tyler Bray, QB Tennessee

The Bills finally grab a QB. I don't like any of the QBs in the draft, I think we are better off letting the winner of Kolb and Jackson start this season, and I anticipate it will be Kolb. I spoke with Bray's QB coach in college and he said Bray can be one hell of an NFL QB and would have been a top pick next year had he stayed another year at Tennessee with Butch Jones and company. Let him develop as most QBs should have to do, great value in round 4. (and if he develops it won't hurt having him play with Patterson)

**Trade Alert**

Buffalo Trades Fred Jackson and their 6th round pick to the Green Bay Packers for pick number 122.

Pick #122

Tyrann Mathieu, CB LSU

His drop history and being out of football for a year has certainly hurt his value, enough to see him sitting there in the 4th so Buffalo decides they are ready for Spiller time (I think they resigned Choice for a reason). This is has freakish talent and speed, the kid can't get into too much trouble in Buffalo, value is too great to pass up.

***As for the rest of the draft I chose the best players available***

Summary:

I know QB is a huge need for the Bills right now, but I don't think any of these guys are the answer, and drafting one early will just be a wasted pick (Losman or Edwards anyone?) A draft similar to this one will give Kolb something to work with on offense and Pettine some toys to play with on defense. The Bills will also boast a talented roster on offense (Spiller, Johnson, Patterson, Kelce, an offensive line that will be maturing into a very strong unit) for the QB of the future which we will draft next year, as I believe Marrone will throw the kitchen sink at getting the top QB in next year's draft. I'd much rather wait 2-3 years for a good team rather than watching the Bills try and patch together a good roster with questionable draft picks and has been free agents. Take two years to build a strong foundation through the draft then add free agents as deemed necessary.

Thoughts, suggestions, corrections? Flame away.

I like the draft overall. Tyler Bray has as much chance of being a starting qb as Nassib or Barkely (not much) but we should pick a qb in this draft. Matheiu is a question mark but CERTAINLY worth taking a chance on if available at that point in the draft. Patterson is a stud receiver. Nice job.

I like the draft overall. Tyler Bray has as much chance of being a starting qb as Nassib or Barkely (not much) but we should pick a qb in this draft. Matheiu is a question mark but CERTAINLY worth taking a chance on if available at that point in the draft. Patterson is a stud receiver. Nice job.

Thank you. I'm just saying that drafting Patterson in one will help fill a serious void, a WR that can make plays, even when covered. Drafting Patterson that early is not very ideal, but grabbing a WR now with his caliber will help what ever QB we draft in next year's first round. Too many people on this board don't think about the future when it comes to the draft. The answer at QB is not there in this draft, so do the smart thing and start building a strong supporting cast for him. Patterson and Kelce will provide two great weapons along side with Spiller and Johnson.

Would you guys rather draft a QB early this year only to use our first round pick next year on a QB. Sure it may not make sense to be grabbing Patterson at 8 this year, but I bet you guys will love having him paired up next to Stevie next year when we draft our QB in the first round of the 2014 draft.