Kolb on John Murphy: Impressions

ajzepp

With the Iggles being my favorite NFC team, I've been passively following Kolb since he was drafted. I was fully on board with cutting ties with Fitz, so my opinion on the Kolb signing was that it was an upgrade to the position. I just finished up listening to his interview on the John Murphy show tonight, and I have to say that there is a clear contrast between him and Fitz in terms of their personalities. Listening to KK, it was striking how much he reminded me of Jimbo. (And before some of you hosers jump all over me for saying that, chill...I'm not saying he's the second coming of Jimbo.) I was very impressed with how well he seems to already know about the players - not just who they are, but their backgrounds. He came off very positive, but also very balanced in his assessment of the three days of this OTA. Most importantly, he struck me as a natural leader, which is something I felt was lacking with Fitz both on and off the field.

It was kind of funny to hear how excited he got when describing Spiller's and Fred's blitz pick-up abilities. It was almost like you could feel how stressful it was to be behind that line in Arizona, and that seeing backs that are adept at blocking was a breath of fresh air for the guy. He also spoke as if he was assuming he's the starter, and I have to say that I respect that. I want a guy who views himself that way, at least until he proves otherwise. He seems to love the approach that Coach Hackett and Coach Marrone are taking, and I was convinced that he is really glad to be here.

I'm still hoping for Nassib or Wilson to end up in Buffalo by the end of next week, but Kolb has me already feeling much better about the QB spot. Whether he'll pan out or not remains to be seen, but IMO he's definitely saying all the right things.

Kolb was drafted to be a franchise QB in Philly, he knows how to handle himself as a franchise QB. He just isnt a franchise QB, not even a starter in the NFL until he can stay healthy. Its been done before, Rich Gannon for example, but we will see.

I honestly don't think any QB taken in the second round is "drafted to be a franchise QB.". I'm sure they hope he will be and think he has a decent chance to be, but I don't think any QB not taken in the first round is considered by the team drafting him to automatically be their franchise QB. Drew Brees, taken in second round would be the last possible exception, although there were a lot of concerns about his size, and he was the 32nd player taken, which would be a first rounder today.

With the Iggles being my favorite NFC team, I've been passively following Kolb since he was drafted. I was fully on board with cutting ties with Fitz, so my opinion on the Kolb signing was that it was an upgrade to the position. I just finished up listening to his interview on the John Murphy show tonight, and I have to say that there is a clear contrast between him and Fitz in terms of their personalities. Listening to KK, it was striking how much he reminded me of Jimbo. (And before some of you hosers jump all over me for saying that, chill...I'm not saying he's the second coming of Jimbo.) I was very impressed with how well he seems to already know about the players - not just who they are, but their backgrounds. He came off very positive, but also very balanced in his assessment of the three days of this OTA. Most importantly, he struck me as a natural leader, which is something I felt was lacking with Fitz both on and off the field.

It was kind of funny to hear how excited he got when describing Spiller's and Fred's blitz pick-up abilities. It was almost like you could feel how stressful it was to be behind that line in Arizona, and that seeing backs that are adept at blocking was a breath of fresh air for the guy. He also spoke as if he was assuming he's the starter, and I have to say that I respect that. I want a guy who views himself that way, at least until he proves otherwise. He seems to love the approach that Coach Hackett and Coach Marrone are taking, and I was convinced that he is really glad to be here.

I'm still hoping for Nassib or Wilson to end up in Buffalo by the end of next week, but Kolb has me already feeling much better about the QB spot. Whether he'll pan out or not remains to be seen, but IMO he's definitely saying all the right things.

Huh?

Didn't he start 4-0 last season until injury? With Levitre gone I wonder how successful the O-Line will be this year? If they do grab Warmack or Cooper 1st round would b nice; but, still takes time for the O-Line to gel.

If they take Warmack at 8 it won't take him long to get acclimated. The dude is a freak, and having Wood beside him helping him along, his learning curve will be very short. I still think this would be the best pick at 8 if he's there, but I know I'm in the minority.

I honestly don't think any QB taken in the second round is "drafted to be a franchise QB.". I'm sure they hope he will be and think he has a decent chance to be, but I don't think any QB not taken in the first round is considered by the team drafting him to automatically be their franchise QB. Drew Brees, taken in second round would be the last possible exception, although there were a lot of concerns about his size, and he was the 32nd player taken, which would be a first rounder today.

Andy Dalton, Colin Kapernick would like to disagree

I think you could argue dalton was the last available band aid that might be able to start that year (I'm still not sure cincy thinks he's THE guy), and CK was a high upside project.

I'm not sure either guy was expected to be an elite qb, but both were hoped to be. The difference between could be, and expected to be.

I know what you're trying to say but don't totally agree. I mean really if you're not a top 6 or 8 pick at QB you may as well be a second rounde or later. Pretty sure the Bengals expected Dalton to be a franchise guy and Seattle got one in Wilson whether they believed it or not. Kaepernick too. Just cuz they didn't go in the first doesn't mean a team thinks they will be a carreer backup, just maybe the risk of that particular guy reaching his ceiling is less than some others.

First, Andy Dalton is not at all a franchise QB. Second, the 49ers didn't know what they had with Kaepernick. They took a chance on him, and he was drafted higher than he was expected. In fact, the reason they drafted him was because Andrew Luck told Harbaugh how good he was. There is no way they were betting he was going to be a franchise guy, just, as I said, hoping he was. I think he is a franchise guy, or will be in the next couple years as soon as he proves last year was not a fluke, which I think he will. I was talking about when they drafted him, were they betting on him to be the guy and there is no way, IMO. Otherwise, they would have taken him in the first round, and it's almost inarguable.

I know what you're trying to say but don't totally agree. I mean really if you're not a top 6 or 8 pick at QB you may as well be a second rounde or later. Pretty sure the Bengals expected Dalton to be a franchise guy and Seattle got one in Wilson whether they believed it or not. Kaepernick too. Just cuz they didn't go in the first doesn't mean a team thinks they will be a carreer backup, just maybe the risk of that particular guy reaching his ceiling is less than some others.

I'm not talking about what they became. I definitely think Wilson is. There is no chance in the world if you really believed a player was going to be a franchise QB you would pass him over once let alone twice. Sure, they hope it pans out. They don't honestly think he is that guy other wise they take him #1.

First, Andy Dalton is not at all a franchise QB. Second, the 49ers didn't know what they had with Kaepernick. They took a chance on him, and he was drafted higher than he was expected. In fact, the reason they drafted him was because Andrew Luck told Harbaugh how good he was. There is no way they were betting he was going to be a franchise guy, just, as I said, hoping he was. I think he is a franchise guy, or will be in the next couple years as soon as he proves last year was not a fluke, which I think he will. I was talking about when they drafted him, were they betting on him to be the guy and there is no way, IMO. Otherwise, they would have taken him in the first round, and it's almost inarguable.

I'm not talking about what they became. I definitely think Wilson is. There is no chance in the world if you really believed a player was going to be a franchise QB you would pass him over once let alone twice. Sure, they hope it pans out. They don't honestly think he is that guy other wise they take him #1.

I understand your point but I don't think that's necessarily true. The draft is like a game and its all about perceived value. Just because a team passes on a guy in the first doesn't mean they've determined he can't be a franchise QB. Just means they think there is more of a risk he won't be. There are so many variables that go into picking a QB and the ones that last a little longer have more ? about them. The niners didn't take Kaepernick in the 2nd cuz they thought he'd be a good backup. He was less of a "slam dunk" but had every bit the physical upside of a franchise QB.

I think the obsession with qbs is slightly overrated actually. Sure there are 3-5 elite guys that can win with any roster in front of them. But there is also a group of 6-8 qbs that can win the big one of the right things fall into place although maybe not year after year under all circumstances. I think guys like flacco, Eli, roethlisberger, ryan, romo, schaub, etc all kind of fall in there.