Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Hence why they need to get their pick right...I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with here.

There will be top 10 talents available to the Bills.

Even if the top tier guys (Joeckel, Fischer, Jordan, Floyd, Milliner), that means that 2 of the following guys will be available to Buffalo:

Geno Smith

Chance Warmack

Lane Johnson

Jarvis Jones

Ezekiel Ansah

Barkevious Mingo

Star Lotulelei

All are what I consider to be immediate starters (save for perhaps Ansah, but he'll be an immediate impact pass rusher IMO).

I'm sure the team has a favorite among the players that will be on the board, so don't mess around, pick the guy and get it right.

There are many draft experts who do not have Geno Smith, Jarvis Jones or Mingo on their top 10 board. I think Geno Smith would be a terrible pick, but that is my opinion. Trading down would allow us to address TE, QB, LB, G, CB

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this. Maybin was a top 15 pick in most mocks. Dareus, McKelvin, and Williams were all top 10 picks in mocks. Whitner was the only one who was picked way out of left field.

Most of what I saw had Maybin as a top 25 pick, but the others you're exactly right about.

I don't get this. Maybin was a top 15 pick in most mocks. Dareus, McKelvin, and Williams were all top 10 picks in mocks. Whitner was the only one who was picked way out of left field.

Exactly my point. It is an inexact science and more picks gives you a better chance of getting lucky also somw good players will fall like LT Cordy Glenn.

There are many draft experts who do not have Geno Smith, Jarvis Jones or Mingo on their top 10 board. I think Geno Smith would be a terrible pick, but that is my opinion. Trading down would allow us to address TE, QB, LB, G, CB

Dude, let it go...I've told you my opinion and the reason for it. I've accepted that you have your opinion and don't agree with it.

We have a fundamental difference in the way we view accumulating talent through the draft.

You assume that trading down will allow us to address so many areas, but trading down means picking after other teams have done so, which limits the choice and (presumably) quality of players in the talent pool.

I'd rather have a chance at a stud at No. 8, and you'd rather have a chance to get multiple less-talented players.

That's fine...I don't agree.

The more video I watch of Nassib, the more I like him. There are still doubts about his ball placement (lack of anticipated placement / throwing behind recievers at times), the more I watched, the more I saw good passes, too, and plenty of NFL caliber passes. Of course, Lemon also looked terrific (kind of reminds me of Stevie Johnson coming out of college - overlooked by some, but the tape impresses).

As it goes today, I'd be happy if Buffalo walks away from this draft with Barkley, Nassib, Manuel, or Wilson by the end of rd 2 - each of which I'd expect to be considered as the QB of the near future for Buffalo; and each would probably be given this and next year to prove it. I'd also be okay if they walked away from this draft, using something like a 4th or 5th round pick, with Bray, Dysert, Scott, or Jones as QB's with potential, and the thinking would be if whichever didn't pan out then they could just go after their QB next year.

Please...

Up until last year, Nevergiveup would come on here periodically and basically tell us who the Bills were targeting (Bradford, Spiller, Miller, Dareus, no QB in 2011), and he was always on target.

Just because you don't have access to information doesn't mean that others don't, and Kirby has proven that he does in the past (i.e. breaking the Kolb visit far in advance of when any "news" outlet had it).

I won't ssuggest that Kirby doesn't get good info. But he may also get bad info. We shall see. Back in the day was then and this is now. Modrak isn't here anymore and Buddy's days are numbered. There seems (at least on the face) that with Ralph out of the way and Brandon fully in charge, what used to go on, or be the norm, is changing, or has changed.

Also, there are tons of information out there... floated purposely to misinform and mislead. You don't know what to believe and not to believe. I've heard it all, as you probably have too... the mysterious corporat jet from OP to NC to meet with Cowher is just one that immediately comes to mind.

I won't ssuggest that Kirby doesn't get good info. But he may also get bad info. We shall see. Back in the day was then and this is now. Modrak isn't here anymore and Buddy's days are numbered. There seems (at least on the face) that with Ralph out of the way and Brandon fully in charge, what used to go on, or be the norm, is changing, or has changed.

Also, there are tons of information out there... floated purposely to misinform and mislead. You don't know what to believe and not to believe. I've heard it all, as you probably have too... the mysterious corporat jet from OP to NC to meet with Cowher is just one that immediately comes to mind.

Sure, take it with a grain of salt, but I think to assert that nobody could have any insight as to the team's QB draft board is misguided...so I said my piece regarding it.

I want the Bills to draft Nassib at #8 if for no other reason than to watch Kiper go off the deep end. It should make for great TV. If he sucks, along with the Bills in 2013, it puts us in a great position to draft Johnny Football(if he declares) in 2014.

I want the Bills to draft Nassib at #8 if for no other reason than to watch Kiper go off the deep end. It should make for great TV. If he sucks, along with the Bills in 2013, it puts us in a great position to draft Johnny Football(if he declares) in 2014.

Now this is the funniest response I seen in a while. I wonder what the boos and talk would be.

Bill, I think you are a really good poster but this post sounds like a crazy person. The Bills are going to draft Nassib to generate ticket sales??? :doh: From the metropolis of Syracuse??? Because obviously once the Bills conquer that market, Ralph will be able to raise ticket prices to pad his pockets and pay for his new mansion in LA, where he will move the Bills.

If the Bills want to generate ticket sales (which never is a problem until December), they would pick a guy like Smith or Barkley because of their resumes. If a coach is given his first job at the NFL level, despite what you make think, he is doing everything in his power to win. If Marrone believes enough in RN to draft him and bank his job on him, then it means a lot.

I think a few people have lost their minds in this thread with regards to Nassib. They've taken this Marrone/Nassib connection thing to the extreme.

IMO, Nassib will be drafted by an NFL team in the 3rd round which will be taking a "Trent Edwards"-type flyer pick on him. I just don't see any NFL team banking a 2nd (let alone a 1st) on a QB with such limited mobility and average arm strength.

I think that the hype machine got out of control due to a couple draft "experts" with out-of-whack evaluations on him. None of these "experts" are employed GMs who have their jobs on the line and would be picking Nassib in the 1st or 2nd round.

I'd actually be shocked if Nassib goes before Matt Scott. I'm hoping that Matt Scott's our pick in the 2nd or 3rd. Yes, he'd be a "reach" in the second, but at least he's somebody with actual NFL physical franchise QB skills that they could work with for a year to get him ready for 2014.

I think a few people have lost their minds in this thread with regards to Nassib. They've taken this Marrone/Nassib connection thing to the extreme.

IMO, Nassib will be drafted by an NFL team in the 3rd round which will be taking a "Trent Edwards"-type flyer pick on him. I just don't see any NFL team banking a 2nd (let alone a 1st) on a QB with such limited mobility and average arm strength.

I think that the hype machine got out of control due to a couple draft "experts" with out-of-whack evaluations on him. None of these "experts" are employed GMs who have their jobs on the line and would be picking Nassib in the 1st or 2nd round.

I'd actually be shocked if Nassib goes before Matt Scott. I'm hoping that Matt Scott's our pick in the 2nd or 3rd. Yes, he'd be a "reach" in the second, but at least he's somebody with actual NFL physical franchise QB skills that they could work with for a year to get him ready for 2014.

That's the kind of mentality I gravitate towards...because I, too, favor QB's with a lot of physical and mental potential. Kaepernick is the most recent example of this for me - I saw in him everything that people were raving about in Cam Newton. Of course, every QB is different, and not all of their "potential" falls in line with the new, athletic QB. Tyler Bray is a very curious subject. His physical talents are undeniable. I guess with these types - the "potential" guys - it boils down to what a team sees as the finished product, what can the kid develop into. So, firstly, the team has to see a type of QB that they'll teach the kid to become. Then they have to work him, coach him, and put him into the system that will work to his strengths.

I don't know if Buffalo's new coaching staff places so high of a value on the athletic QB. If they do, I'd say Smith, Manuel, Scott, and Tuel are much more likely targets. If they prefer a more traditional pocket passer, I'd lean toward Barkley, Wilson, Nassib, Glennon, Bray, Jones, or Dysert.

That's the kind of mentality I gravitate towards...because I, too, favor QB's with a lot of physical and mental potential. Kaepernick is the most recent example of this for me - I saw in him everything that people were raving about in Cam Newton. Of course, every QB is different, and not all of their "potential" falls in line with the new, athletic QB. Tyler Bray is a very curious subject. His physical talents are undeniable. I guess with these types - the "potential" guys - it boils down to what a team sees as the finished product, what can the kid develop into. So, firstly, the team has to see a type of QB that they'll teach the kid to become. Then they have to work him, coach him, and put him into the system that will work to his strengths.

I don't know if Buffalo's new coaching staff places so high of a value on the athletic QB. If they do, I'd say Smith, Manuel, Scott, and Tuel are much more likely targets. If they prefer a more traditional pocket passer, I'd lean toward Barkley, Wilson, Nassib, Glennon, Bray, Jones, or Dysert.

While I'm partial to Scott, I'd be very happy with either Smith or Manuel. Marrone came from New Orleans who had the mobile and athletic QB in Brees. The Bills have obviously seen the astronomically fast successes of Kaepernick, RGIII and Wilson. So IMO, this leads me to believe that the QB they pick will be one of those three guys. It's the future of the NFL. None of them are sure things, but I'm sure in one of these three guys, they see a QB that they can have great success with after a year of learning on the bench.

While I'm partial to Scott, I'd be very happy with either Smith or Manuel. Marrone came from New Orleans who had the mobile and athletic QB in Brees. The Bills have obviously seen the astronomically fast successes of Kaepernick, RGIII and Wilson. So IMO, this leads me to believe that the QB they pick will be one of those three guys. It's the future of the NFL. None of them are sure things, but I'm sure in one of these three guys, they see a QB that they can have great success with after a year of learning on the bench.

Brees is hardly mobile and athletic.

Yes, some have take it to an extreme, but you and a few others have taken it to the other extreme.

And, my guess is that you will be wrong by a long shot, in regards to where Nassib will be drafted. You say round three... I say in between pick 25 overall to 40. We'll see who is right.

Edited by Magox

Yes, some have take it to an extreme, but you and a few others have taken it to the other extreme.

And, my guess is that you will be wrong by a long shot, in regards to where Nassib will be drafted. You say round three... I say in between pick 25 overall to 40. We'll see who is right.

I'm just trying to keep things real. He looks like a third or fourth round "flyer pick" QB to me. He simply doesn't pass the eyeball test of what a 1st or 2nd round QB is supposed to look like in today's NFL. If you can't run and you're not very mobile then you had better have a cannon for an arm. This Nassib hype reminds me of the Gabbert hype a couple of years ago. I kept looking at video of Gabbert and laughing at the prospect of him being a 1st round pick. It seems that every year there's a "little engine that could" type of kid that "climbs the boards" with the help of a hype machine.

The real "rock star in hiding" QB that I think everybody's missing is Matt Scott. To me, his videos show a potentially great NFL QB talent. He's had real gut check wins. He played a real schedule. He has franchise QB skills like being fast with his feet and his release. I truly think he is the best of this class and has a real chance of becoming a great QB. Certainly one of the best in the AFC which will suck after Manning and Brady leave.

I'm just trying to keep things real. He looks like a third or fourth round "flyer pick" QB to me. He simply doesn't pass the eyeball test of what a 1st or 2nd round QB is supposed to look like in today's NFL. If you can't run and you're not very mobile then you had better have a cannon for an arm. This Nassib hype reminds me of the Gabbert hype a couple of years ago. I kept looking at video of Gabbert and laughing at the prospect of him being a 1st round pick. It seems that every year there's a "little engine that could" type of kid that "climbs the boards" with the help of a hype machine.

The real "rock star in hiding" QB that I think everybody's missing is Matt Scott. To me, his videos show a potentially great NFL QB talent. He's had real gut check wins. He played a real schedule. He has franchise QB skills like being fast with his feet and his release. I truly think he is the best of this class and has a real chance of becoming a great QB. Certainly one of the best in the AFC which will suck after Manning and Brady leave.

That's your opinion, that we've heard over and over and over and over

I agree with this take...And I think in this class, when you have QB's that all have strengths, and all have flaws...Well...Why not go after the athletes with the very good arms?...I'm not saying I can't live with Nassib, Barkley, Bray, or Glennon (I'm not a big Wilson, Jones, or Dysert guy...)...But I'd much rather see Geno, Manuel, or Scott because of the athletic ability and higher upside potential... B-)

I don't fully agree with your assessment of Nassib's arm strength. I think he has a pretty solid arm - not great, but pretty good. I'll admit that he isn't very mobile, but not all (or even most) top QBs are very mobile. His intensity, drive, effort and football intelligence is reportedly quite high and I believe that is very important. I also put some stock into the fact that he was a major reason for Syracuse rising from laughing stock to reasonable football program. That has to count for something. I also admit that I like Russ Lande's draft analyses and he has Nassib rated highly. Lande has been a NFL scout and is now Director of College Scouting for Montreal of the CFL. No scout is always right, but he has to be afforded some credibility for his past and current pro football jobs. BTW, he had Colin Kaepernick rated as a 1st round pick when few others did.

Edited by OldTimer1960

That's your opinion, that we've heard over and over and over and over

I haven't countered the Nassib craziness in about week. I'm hardly the problem here.

We're all locked in on who we like and don't like with regards to QB. The repetitive nature of these arguments are unavoidable. Every once in a while I reserve the right to repeat my support of Scott who did actually pay a visit to One Bills Drive this week. Not one mention here that I saw. Scott has had more on site visits with NFL teams than Nassib has had. This kind of information just doesn't seem to resonate around here very much. Yet I'm the one who needs to back off?...lol Do you want to willfully put blinders on this board? I'd suggest you don't read this thread anymore if you don't like reading the same thing over and over again..lol

Manning has 1 Superbowl. Brady has 3 Superbowl rings and been to 5. A winning attitude is everything. Brady might be the coolest qb under pressure in history. The dude just looks focused when the game is tight. No looks of doubt or fear. I hate Tom Brady, but I respect the guy for sure. Plus, Brady bangs supermodels.

I'll never understand this fallacy.

I've seen Brady whine, B word, moan, complain - to refs, to opposing players, to his coach - sulk, flinch, curse at Buffalo fans, be fired up, be remarkably animated during dropped passes, and whine and B word some more.

He is a bigger baby than Danny Ainge was.

But people always try to make him out like he's Purvis Ellison or something.

Is the guy a winner? Absolutely! Has he engineered game winning drives? Yep. Has he done it cooly, calmly, and gracefully? No. Funny story...last year Brady was cursing at Buffalo fans after a TD drive. From what I can recall, a few plays into that drive, the commentators were falling over each other talking about his composure and discipline.

Edited by Juror#8