Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

This guy is a very talented writer who employs an entertaining, free form style:

As soon as someone mentions a quarterback’s bench press prowess, one name comes to mind: Jim Druckenmiller. As for won-loss records against other quarterbacks, this isn’t arm wrestling. As Michael David Smith noted this week, Danny Wuerffel was 2-0 against Peyton Manning in college. In the read option, Nassib sometimes took a pistol snap, faked a handoff, and scuttled forward for a few yards, reminding no one, not even Gruden, of Colin Kaepernick. Gruden clarified that Nassib was more of a “nuisance” with the read option; I thought we were drafting quarterbacks, not gophers.

There are stretches of games where Nassib barely looks draftable. The pass rush gets to him, and he either launches a wobbly pass off his back foot or forces a short pass into a defender’s belly. Or, his throwing motion goes totally out-of-kilter for a series or two, and his awkward shot-put throws go every-which-way. On short passes, he drives 95 mile-per-hour fastballs past his receiver’s fingertips. On deep throws, he puts too much air under the ball and forces his receiver to come back for the ball. He looks like an erratic aerosol passer.

But then there are moments when everything converges. When Nassib’s mechanics are smooth, his release is a snap, his velocity excellent, and his accuracy pinpoint. Nassib has terrific touch and timing on deep passes along the sidelines and on seam routes. Watch Nassib find Alec Lemon on a deep post or place a teardrop into Marcus Sales’ arms along a hash mark a few times, and you start to see that high first-round pick. Then, he disappears for a few series.

The problem comes in sorting the Jekyll from the Hyde. Nassib’s Senior Bowl practices looked like his 2012 tape. He spent whole drills overthrowing every receiver he saw, then would settle down and made a few big-time throws. This isn’t a guy who makes nine special throws for every clunker; the ratio is close to six-to-four. My colleagues, and no doubt some NFL scouts and coaches, see raw materials that can be molded into something special. I see a block of marble, not a masterpiece.

The writer's schtick aside, that's almost exactly how I viewed Nassib...talented but erratic, deficient with the deep ball, inconsistent footwork.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When what I read confirms what I've seen on game tape, I sure do, yes.

I have seen enough of him to believe he has potential and can do some great things, and that he is inconsistent.

His description of Nassib with shot-put throws every which way, and putting to much air under a ball which Nassib seldom does, just the opposite actually, is almost laughable.

Makes Nassib sound way more inconsistent then he really is in my opinion.

This guy is a very talented writer who employs an entertaining, free form style:

As soon as someone mentions a quarterback’s bench press prowess, one name comes to mind: Jim Druckenmiller. As for won-loss records against other quarterbacks, this isn’t arm wrestling. As Michael David Smith noted this week, Danny Wuerffel was 2-0 against Peyton Manning in college. In the read option, Nassib sometimes took a pistol snap, faked a handoff, and scuttled forward for a few yards, reminding no one, not even Gruden, of Colin Kaepernick. Gruden clarified that Nassib was more of a “nuisance” with the read option; I thought we were drafting quarterbacks, not gophers.

There are stretches of games where Nassib barely looks draftable. The pass rush gets to him, and he either launches a wobbly pass off his back foot or forces a short pass into a defender’s belly. Or, his throwing motion goes totally out-of-kilter for a series or two, and his awkward shot-put throws go every-which-way. On short passes, he drives 95 mile-per-hour fastballs past his receiver’s fingertips. On deep throws, he puts too much air under the ball and forces his receiver to come back for the ball. He looks like an erratic aerosol passer.

But then there are moments when everything converges. When Nassib’s mechanics are smooth, his release is a snap, his velocity excellent, and his accuracy pinpoint. Nassib has terrific touch and timing on deep passes along the sidelines and on seam routes. Watch Nassib find Alec Lemon on a deep post or place a teardrop into Marcus Sales’ arms along a hash mark a few times, and you start to see that high first-round pick. Then, he disappears for a few series.

The problem comes in sorting the Jekyll from the Hyde. Nassib’s Senior Bowl practices looked like his 2012 tape. He spent whole drills overthrowing every receiver he saw, then would settle down and made a few big-time throws. This isn’t a guy who makes nine special throws for every clunker; the ratio is close to six-to-four. My colleagues, and no doubt some NFL scouts and coaches, see raw materials that can be molded into something special. I see a block of marble, not a masterpiece.

A regional kid with sky-high bust potential with Russ Brandon behind the curtain ... haven't we seen that movie before?

When what I read confirms what I've seen on game tape, I sure do, yes.

I have seen enough of him to believe he has potential and can do some great things, and that he is inconsistent.

Is the game tape you're referring to the 5 YouTube game cut ups from his 2012 season? You know he had 3 years worth of games right?

Do you believe everything you read?

That's exactly what I thought when I read it.

I've watched the videos of 5 Nassib games this year: Missouri, Louisville, Rutgers, USC, and Northwestern.

I agreed with the article.

I think Nassib could be a really good player but he's very oddly inconsistent, IMO.

Is the game tape you're referring to the 5 YouTube game cut ups from his 2012 season? You know he had 3 years worth of games right?

This is true but I think even pro scouts put greater weight on the most recent season, for obvious reasons.

This is true but I think even pro scouts put greater weight on the most recent season, for obvious reasons.

The point being is that of the 5 games on YouTube of Nassib, how many times did we see him throw deep?

People are basing their opinion on 4-5 throws out of years more worth of games that they probably haven't seen.

The main thing is that this issue with Nassib (if it really is one) is correctable. The kid has enough arm to throw it 25 yards on a rope or launch it 50+.

The point being is that of the 5 games on YouTube of Nassib, how many times did we see him throw deep?

People are basing their opinion on 4-5 throws out of years more worth of games that they probably haven't seen.

The main thing is that this issue with Nassib (if it really is one) is correctable. The kid has enough arm to throw it 25 yards on a rope or launch it 50+.

Yeah actually in the Quicken Loan Skills Competition, Nassib hit 61 yards on his long throw attempt.

EJ Manuel won that event (and the entire QB competition) with a throw of 66 yards.

I can't remember what Mike Glennon threw but Manuel's was the farthest.

The fourth QB who competed in the event was Aaron Rodger's younger brother Jordan, who was the starting QB for Vanderbilt this year.

Nassib's are is plenty strong. Having a weak arm is one of the false criticisms of him.

But I remain unconvinced about the player as a whole.

I think you bring up an important point. Are his flaws coachable/correctable? Who better to asses his potential than the coaches who have already worked with him for 4 years? If they decide not to draft him, I think that says alot. If they do draft him, I have confidence the coaches know exactly what they are getting and believe he has the capability to live up to his potential.

Every qb ever drafted have been drafted based on potential. Some live up to it, most dont. I just hope, like the rest of Bills nation, that we find that franchise qb soon. I dont care who it is, and dont feel like I have the knowledge to make a proclamation on who is the guy to draft this year or any other. The one serious benefit of drafting Nassib is the 4 year relationship established between him and the coach. Nassib knows exactly what Marone wants in any given situation, and Marone knows what he can get out of Nassib in any given situation. This puts him light years ahead in the developmental process of a rookie qb. I think if he is drafted, we will find out immediately if he is an NFL qb. Immediately, as in he wont start for 3 years like JP Lossman if it doesnt click. So the Bills could move on to the next option.

Final thing I've say. I don't want Nassib at #8. However if Marrone is willing to put his job on the kid after working with him for 4 years, I'll be behind it 100%. This is possibly his one shot as a NFL head coach so if he trusts RN, then bring it on.

Final thing I've say. I don't want Nassib at #8. However if Marrone is willing to put his job on the kid after working with him for 4 years, I'll be behind it 100%. This is possibly his one shot as a NFL head coach so if he trusts RN, then bring it on.

nobody is taking nassib at 8. get real. hell be there in the 3rd and possibly the 4th. some scouts rate this guy as not even being able to make it as a career backup

nobody is taking nassib at 8. get real. hell be there in the 3rd and possibly the 4th. some scouts rate this guy as not even being able to make it as a career backup

Just like nobody would take Ponder or Locker in the top 12. Right?

Teams overdraft QBs. Stop talking in such certainties when you have no idea how much teams like osme of these prospects.

Jaws just rated him the second QB behind Geno. But I agree, his value is all over the place.

IMHO, I hope the Bills have the fortitude to pick the BPA at #8 and if the QB they wants falls to them in the second, pull the trigger then. If not, then take a project in the 3rd or 4th.

The great part about taking Nassib in the second is that it doesn't preclude us from taking a QB in 2014 if we have the opportunity to get a great one. If we take him at #8 this year, then Marrone/Nix/Whaley/Brandon will be more or less married to him for at least a few years because of the negative perception of taking 2 QBs high in the draft in consecutive years.

He won't be available in the third round. My guess is that he won't even be available by our second round pick. We'll see who's right