Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

You have no clue. "Checking down" is the worst part of Nassib's game if you've ever watched him play. I've watched every one of his games. His strength is his strong arm and mid-to-deep range throws, clutch game winning drive intangibles and Fitz-type of scrambling abilities. His weakness is accuracy in short-yardage passing, in the flats and throwing with pressure in his face. If you draft Nassib you better sign Levitre. Stop posting that this kid has a weak arm, etc. He would probably out-bench any player on our offensive.

Hmmm. Nassib looks very below par as far as elusivity and speed.

I would say he's far below Fitz in that category. The problem with Fitz is that once he decides to run, he stops looking downfield for a throw.

I don't know how Nassib extends plays with his feet but in about 100 Nassib snaps I've watched he's pretty statuesque.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have no clue. "Checking down" is the worst part of Nassib's game if you've ever watched him play. I've watched every one of his games. His strength is his strong arm and mid-to-deep range throws, clutch game winning drive intangibles and Fitz-type of scrambling abilities. His weakness is accuracy in short-yardage passing, in the flats and throwing with pressure in his face. If you draft Nassib you better sign Levitre. Stop posting that this kid has a weak arm, etc. He would probably out-bench any player on our offensive.

The videos of Nassib are on youtube with all his throws. His WRs are constantly waiting on the ball to get there when he throws it deep, and those are college WRs not NFL WRs who are much faster. Not only that, but Nassib seems to put a lot of his body into those type of throws. I give the kid a lot of credit for having a very good college career at Syracuse. I simply hope the Bills don't see him as a potential franchise QB. If they do and they pick him, I will expect another three year delay in this franchise making a real comeback.

When you starting having to tout a QBs bench press then I think you should KNOW he's not the guy. Nassib doesn't have the arm, speed or athletic ability to be a starting QB in the NFL. He could be a good backup though. I think that's what his destiny is at the next level.

Edited by 1billsfan

The videos of Nassib are on youtube with all his throws. His WRs are constantly waiting on the ball to get there when he throws it deep, and those are college WRs not NFL WRs who are much faster. Not only that, but Nassib seems to put a lot of his body into those type of throws. I give the kid a lot of credit for having a very good college career at Syracuse. I simply hope the Bills don't see him as a potential franchise QB. If they do and they pick him, I will expect another three year delay in this franchise making a real comeback.

When you starting having to tout a QBs bench press then I think you should KNOW he's not the guy. Nassib doesn't have the arm, speed or athletic ability to be a starting QB in the NFL. He could be a good backup though. I think that's what his destiny is at the next level.

You could be right about not translating to the NFL - most QBs don't. Each year as his attempts went up, his sacks dramatically went down and his TD/INT ratio improved. He has clearly been getting better and was pretty consistent. He can make throws that Fitz can't. I referenced the bench pressing because he is a workout warrior and is a leader by example. He's not Drew Bledsoe, but arm strength is not an issue.

Working with the same coaching staff, running the same offense - if he could put up the same #s that he did at Syracuse in 2012, we would be very happy. Those are Fitz 2011 pre-injury #s.

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT 2012 294 471 3749 62.4 7.96 68 26 10 16 143.3 2011 259 415 2685 62.4 6.47 62 22 9 29 129.9 2010 202 358 2334 56.4 6.52 52 19 8 31 124.2 2009 36 68 422 52.9 6.21 50 3 1 7 116.7

Nassib literally wilted in the Senior Bowl. He looked scared and intimidated in that game.

scared and intimidated? lol

Or perhaps Nassib realizes If he wants to hook back up with Marrone, he doesn't need to impress anyone.

Marrone knows what Ryan Nassib is all about and doesn't need a demonstration.

Edited by dog14787

In 2009 without Nassib, Syracuse won 4 games. 2 years later, with Nassib, they won 5 games. You are saying Syracuse will win zero gmaes next season? Crazy. Also, Barkley has had a great career in the Pac12, not the Big East.

And how do you know that Nassib is smarter by a mile than Barkley or that he will put more time into the game than him? Where do you get this from? If Marrone wasn't HC, would you even mention Nassib as a QB for the Bills?

Let me put this in terms that you can better understand. Put Barkley in Nassib's shoes and Nassib in Barkley's shoes. Barkley could never have taken the beating Nassib did, nor withstood the challenges Nassib did... we wouldn't even be talking about Barkley as an option right now. Nassib, on the other hand, surrounded by the cast of athletes and A list ballers Barkley was afforded, would have lit it up and be considered a can't miss prospect.

As far as football and intelligence. Nassib is a known gym rat and game tape junky. He benches over 400 lbs... all fact. He's an academic all american with a 4.0 gpa and graduated a year ago. How does Barkley stack up agianst that?

Now... a lot of folks think its all about passing. If that's the case, give Barkley or Smith an edge. But, if its about being a QB that understands the big picture, setting up a defense for big plays, into the mental aspects and chess playing of the game, Nassib is way more 'Bradyesque' than either of those two.

scared and intimidated? lol

Or perhaps Nassib realizes If he wants to hook back up with Marrone, he doesn't need to impress anyone.

Marrone knows what Ryan Nassib is all about and doesn't need a demonstration.

Yeah, I'm sure Nassib just dialed it down a notch or two just so he wouldn't get drafted any higher than he might otherwise get drafted by Buffalo.

QB at the Senior Bowl and Combine that doesn't need to impress anyone. I gotta give you points for origniality.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, I'm sure Nassib just dialed it down a notch or two just so he wouldn't get drafted any higher than he might otherwise get drafted by Buffalo.

QB at the Senior Bowl and Combine that doesn't need to impress anyone. I gotta give you points for origniality.

GO BILLS!!!

The success or failure of a player has much to do with coaching/ supporting cast, Buffalo has a good deal of talent on both sides of the football. Buffalo also has a HC that Nassib is very familiar with and has had success under.

If you think that has nothing to do with a players preference on where he will go then I beg to differ...

Let me put this in terms that you can better understand. Put Barkley in Nassib's shoes and Nassib in Barkley's shoes. Barkley could never have taken the beating Nassib did, nor withstood the challenges Nassib did... we wouldn't even be talking about Barkley as an option right now. Nassib, on the other hand, surrounded by the cast of athletes and A list ballers Barkley was afforded, would have lit it up and be considered a can't miss prospect.

As far as football and intelligence. Nassib is a known gym rat and game tape junky. He benches over 400 lbs... all fact. He's an academic all american with a 4.0 gpa and graduated a year ago. How does Barkley stack up agianst that?

Now... a lot of folks think its all about passing. If that's the case, give Barkley or Smith an edge. But, if its about being a QB that understands the big picture, setting up a defense for big plays, into the mental aspects and chess playing of the game, Nassib is way more 'Bradyesque' than either of those two.

Thanks for the attempt at dumbing it down for me, bro. But it is just as likely that Nassib would have been injured had he been facing the competition that Barkley faced in his career. And I would imagine the pressures and championship expectations as the USC QB far outweigh the complete obscurity (who watched this kid outside of Central NY until that crappy pinstripe bowl game?) in which Nassib cranked out his mediocre college career, where absolutely nothing was at stake every Saturday.

So basically, because you say so, I am to believe that if these two QBs were switched NAssim would be the top can't miss QB prospect. I am completely unconvinced. Maybe you watched a ton of Syracuse games the last 3 years to come to your conclusion. But I'm guessing you haven't.

As far as "GPA"--I can think of at least 3 HOF QBs who weren't exactly intellectually gifted. It's nice that Nassib will have an accounting degree from Syracuse to fall back on though.

Yahoo's Mike Silver reports there's a "growing sense in NFL circles" that the Bills will target Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib with the No. 41 overall pick.

"If I'm a team that needs a quarterback and wants the Syracuse kid, I know I've gotta get ahead of Buffalo in the second round," said an AFC executive. Per Silver, it's "hard to conceive" the Bills taking new coach Doug Marrone's college quarterback at No. 8, but that could change if he "starts shooting up draft boards." Nassib's stock is murky, but he won't fall beyond day two.

Edited by bobobonators

Yahoo's Mike Silver reports there's a "growing sense in NFL circles" that the Bills will target Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib with the No. 41 overall pick.

"If I'm a team that needs a quarterback and wants the Syracuse kid, I know I've gotta get ahead of Buffalo in the second round," said an AFC executive. Per Silver, it's "hard to conceive" the Bills taking new coach Doug Marrone's college quarterback at No. 8, but that could change if he "starts shooting up draft boards." Nassib's stock is murky, but he won't fall beyond day two.

If this is true, then I'm really starting to wish the Bills never hired Doug Marrone. This would not be the plan for the Bills to become the 49ers of the AFC, it's the plan to become the Cincinnati "one and done in the playoffs is good enough for me" Bengals.

Edited by 1billsfan

If this is true, then I'm really starting to wish the Bills never hired Doug Marrone. This would not be the plan for the Bills to become the 49ers of the AFC, it's the plan to become the Cincinnati "one and done in the playoffs is good enough for me" Bengals.

Ya, i'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. I'm assuming this scenario would play out if neither Geno or Barkley are there at #8. There isn't much separating Nassib from the other 2nd tier QB's in this draft, imo. At the same time, though, I wouldn't be too thrilled about having so many ties to Syracuse on the team at the same time - it's not like they just won a national championship or anything where it would warrant bringing in the QB, HC, and OC from one college team. :mellow:

I agree with this. I do not think he will last until 41. If that is the Bills plan, then they will be shut out again. I am not convinced he is worth the number 8 either, but there are too many teams ahead of Buffalo to assume he, or anyone else they might be considering with that pick, will last until 41. If they think he is the guy, or whoever else they think might be the guy, they either need to take him at 8 or agressively move back to the first. A win/win would be getting a great prospect at 8, and then trading back into the last third of the first round and getting a QB, IMO.

I agree with this. I do not think he will last until 41. If that is the Bills plan, then they will be shut out again. I am not convinced he is worth the number 8 either, but there are too many teams ahead of Buffalo to assume he, or anyone else they might be considering with that pick, will last until 41. If they think he is the guy, or whoever else they think might be the guy, they either need to take him at 8 or agressively move back to the first. A win/win would be getting a great prospect at 8, and then trading back into the last third of the first round and getting a QB, IMO.

yup, win / win

Some perspective. Both Barkley and Smith played for mature college programs who consistently reloaded with A list recruits. Compare that to Syra cuse, a college program that was in shambles and haven't recruited an A lister in years. Compare the supporting cast each QB had. Remove the qb from their respective teams. WV & USC don't miss a beat. With Nassib out of the Syracuse lineup they don't win a damn game. Nassib was the heart and soul of his team. Smith had Tavon Austin, one of the most electrifying players in college. Barkely threw to the most polished wr in college and an excellent offensive line.

Nassib carried his team on his back. The supporting cast supplemented Barkley & Smith. Questioning Nassib's arm strength is ridiculous. He may not have the strongest arm in the draft, but he's the strongest, toughest, and smartest by a mile. On the engagement factor, he's off the charts and will put more time into the game than either Barkley or Smith.

Did you see USC play with Wittack?

The only problem with the trade up scenario is the cost.

If we take a WR at 8, then trade our 2 and 3 to get back into Rd1 to get a QB, now we have no 3rd round pick. And in fact, a trade into the mid 20's or Rd1 will probably cost much more than that. Probably similar to the Losman deal, our 2 and 5 this year and our 1 next. No Thanks. Take the best QB available at 8. Take the best LB and WR available at 2 and 3 respectively.

This is the time of year that a lot of stuff is leaked out and thetr is a lot of misdirection going on. If the Bills have everyone thinking they are going to take Nassib, it might force another teams hand. The other odd thing about this is why would you telegraph exactly who you are going to take because if any other team knew it, well then all they have to do is get ahead of you.

That's incredibly optimistic. If we even get to .500, I'll be surprised.

The only problem with the trade up scenario is the cost.

If we take a WR at 8, then trade our 2 and 3 to get back into Rd1 to get a QB, now we have no 3rd round pick. And in fact, a trade into the mid 20's or Rd1 will probably cost much more than that. Probably similar to the Losman deal, our 2 and 5 this year and our 1 next. No Thanks. Take the best QB available at 8. Take the best LB and WR available at 2 and 3 respectively.

Yes.

To get into that sweet spot to draft a quarterback, it makes a helluva lot more sense for the Bills to trade out of the #8 spot and pick up a couple of high picks than to draft at #8 and try to trade back into the first round.

Either trade down or stand pat at #8 and #41, IMO.

I'm against any trade up scenario.