Those who like the Kolb signing post here

Outstanding deal. Got a starting QB without having to make a trade. A couple years ago people were drooling over Kolb, just like they were about Flynn. He was jackhammered in Arizona b/c they couldn't protect him. We can. I'm glad they aren't in a position of desperation for the draft.

I'm curious as to why they don't get more attention for this signing than Oakland got for giving up 2 picks for Flynn. People should trash Oakland for dumping a 1 and a 2 for Palmer.

We were smart with this signing.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 35 yard TD to Fitzgerald in the Eagles game on the video is exactly the type of pass that has been missing from the offense during the Fitzpatric era. So at least there's that. Now if only we had a WR like Larry.

Fitz threw a 99 yard td to TO. I guess it's natural to trash the old and praise the new. Fitz has a lot of good moments. And right now, he's had a much better NFL career than Kolb, despise much less fanfare. I'm hoping for the best though.

Honestly, I like Fitz better. Sorry. Kolb does have some ability but I think this is the case of a horny husband where every other woman looks better. I hope for the best bit Kolb will be hard pressed to match Fitz' production.

Bottom line, I want a highly drafted rookie this year. I'm sick of journeyman & other teams trash. Here's hoping Kolb can stay healthy but I want someone fresh & unused.

so you are the horny husband then :oops: Edited by 3rdand12

Did you watch the video?, it's not that it's a long bomb, it's the trajectory of the ball and they type of play. I'm not a Fitz hater, but he never seemed to make that throw.

Edited by todzilla

Unfortunately, that is what you will get (a highly drafted rookie who becomes a journeyman) in this draft. The view that the Bills must take a QB in round 1 or 2 is the same view of the "horney husband" hoping that some rookie in a bad class will be better than whomever is available already in the NFL.

How can you be a fan since 1960 and not realize that the Bills unwillingness to draft quarterbacks early has been their greatest downfall?

The draft should be treated like an ongoing process, not like an "event". There needs to be a direction other than plugging holes.

If none of the quarterbacks in this draft pan out.....then so be it. But not trying is why the Bills are where they are.

The intelligent approach to building a team is to draft the best QB you can until you get one that turns into a franchise QB. Fill the roster gaps created by not drafting Aaron Maybin or Marcel Dareus or Stephon Gilmore in free agency if need be.

The Bills do it the other way around. Not a single QB selected with their first pick in any draft since the year you became a fan in 1960.

I will wait to see how he does behind a real ol and with a running game...I remeber listening to nfl radio around week 3 and they were bragging on kolb, how he had grown was showing real leadership and toughness as a qb since he was getting killed behind a terrible ol...so let's see

So those of us that like the move can discuss without the many bitching and whining about it posting their crap.

The guy was behind the worst OL in football the last two years and had no running game, something Buffalo actually DOES have both of. We add another WR and a TE (plus Chandler coming back) the guy can get the job done.

I am sick of the Fitz comparrisons, they just aren't the same guy. This guy was highly sought after 2 years ago for a reason, Fitz... no one come knocking down his door, ever. The guy has a good enough arm, is mobile enough and has played in a very complex offense (Philly).

Now are we still drafting a QB? Sure, but I really think this changes things. I think this move was made (Again just opinion) because Whaley and Nix both didn't think that much of the QB class and IF we took one, he would need a year on the bench to develop.

I see Patterson as the pick if he is there at #8 then a QB in the 2nd.

I don't mind the fact that you like the Kolb signing, but I do mind the fact that you decided to slander Fitz in the process. I don't care what their pedigrees are and I don't care what Kolb signed for two years ago. Don't mean s***. I don't think Kolb will ever throw for 25 TD's in a season, which Fitz just did for three straight years, due largely in part to the fact that I don't think he'll ever stay healthy for more than half a season.

Haha. Not married yet but I've seen it at work. Every girl at the bar is super hot when you've been married for years.

I've seen it too. especially with a couple cocktails in me.

Works out about as well in the NFL.

Cards had by far the worst O line in the entire NFL. I've seen better lines in College. If kolb gets the amount of time Fitz has to throw the ball he will be far more successful. Enough to take us to the playoffs, I don't think so....He is not a long term solution at QB. But he is head and shoulders better than Fitz when given enough time. I still see us finishing 6-10 though...=/

Honestly, I like Fitz better. Sorry. Kolb does have some ability but I think this is the case of a horny husband where every other woman looks better. I hope for the best bit Kolb will be hard pressed to match Fitz' production.

Bottom line, I want a highly drafted rookie this year. I'm sick of journeyman & other teams trash. Here's hoping Kolb can stay healthy but I want someone fresh & unused.

I like the move because it didn't cost any picks, and it fills a need. I would have liked to see Fitz restructure and stay but it wasn't in the cards. While Kolb doesn't have a big arm he is said to be very accurate in a short passing game so the west coast O should fit his skill set. I also like it that we wont be forced into taking one of the questionable QB's this draft is loaded with. Who knows at the end of the year we may be pleasently surprised.

How can you be a fan since 1960 and not realize that the Bills unwillingness to draft quarterbacks early has been their greatest downfall?

The draft should be treated like an ongoing process, not like an "event". There needs to be a direction other than plugging holes.

If none of the quarterbacks in this draft pan out.....then so be it. But not trying is why the Bills are where they are.

The intelligent approach to building a team is to draft the best QB you can until you get one that turns into a franchise QB. Fill the roster gaps created by not drafting Aaron Maybin or Marcel Dareus or Stephon Gilmore in free agency if need be.

The Bills do it the other way around. Not a single QB selected with their first pick in any draft since the year you became a fan in 1960.

Let's look at the "currently successful teams" and then all teams:

Washington: won the NFC East with a rookie whom almost unanimously was rated very high.

GB: awesome with a QB drafted 20+ spots after Alex Smith. No one can tell me that none of the teams between 1 and GB didn't need a QB, but clearly GB's pick was substantial

ATL: won NFC NFC South with highly drafted QB Matt Ryan (who many said was a "reach")

SF: won NFC West with 2nd round QB

NE: still riding the Tom Brady "lucky pick" in the 6th round.

Baltimore: Flacco was good, but not great in Super Bowl season. He was a #1 pick.

Houston: won AFC South with 3rd round pick (traded for) Matt Schaub. Questionable whether they won because of or in spite of Schaub.

Denver: won AFC West with Peyton Manning, but spent #1 pick on Tim Tebow 2 years ago and 2nd on Brock Osweiller last year.

Now for the "other teams"

Giants: 9-7 with Eli Manning - an "elite" QB drafted #1 overall.

Dallas: one game worse (8-8) with undrafted Tony Romo

Philly: 4-12 with #1 draft pick Michael Vick

Minnesota: 10-6 with the best rushing attack in the last decade and Christian Ponder who was drafted early round 1 (but didn't produce much)

Chicago: 10-6 with Jay Cutler (#1 pick acquired via trade)

Det: 4-12 with #1 pick Matt Stafford

Carolina: 7-9 with #1 overall pick Cam Newton

NO: 7-9 with Superstar Drew Brees

TB: 7-9 with #1 pick Josh Freeman

Seattle: 11-5 with 3rd round pick Russell Wilson (while high priced FA Matt Flynn sat and trade acquisition Charlie Whitehurst was gone)

Stl: 7-8-1 with #1 pick Sam Bradford

Arizona: 5-11 with Kolb/Skelton running for their lives

Miami: 7-9 with #1 pick Ryan Tannehill

Jets: 6-10 with #1 pick Mark Sanchez

Buffalo: 6-10 with undrafted FA Ryan Fitzpatrick

Cinci: 10-6 with #2 pick Andy Dalton

Pitt: 8-8 with #1 pick Ben Roethlisberger

Cleveland: 5-11 with #1 Brandon Weedon and #3 Colt McCoy

Indy: 11-5 with #1 overall Andrew Luck

Tenn: 6-10 with #1 pick Jake Locker

Jax: 2-14 with #1 pick Blaine Gabbert

SD: 7-9 with #1 pick Philip Rivers

Oak: 4-12 with #1 pick Carson Palmer

KC: 2-14 with very late pick Matt Cassell

Conclusions (mine):

1. MOST good QBs are drafted in round 1.

2. A round 1 QB is not sufficient to be a good team

2a. 22 of 32 teams had a former #1 QB starting, yet many of those teams were not very good.

It is not sufficient to wish/hope/pray that a highly drafted QB will turn around a struggling franchise. Even some very very promising young QBs (Cam Newton for example) are not "winning" without decent support from their teammates.

It is at least debatable whether any of the QBs in this draft will ever be good enough at the NFL level to elevate an otherwise weak team to the playoffs.

Love the signing, not because Kolb is a likely long-term starter, but because he may not be any worse than any QB in this draft. Kolb, with a decent OL and running game could be serviceable. Draft the Lane Johnson at OLT and move Cordy Glenn to RT, move Chris Hairston to Levitre's spot and feed Spiller, Jackson the ball. When you do have to pass, Kolb will get pretty good protection with Johnson at LT and Glenn at RT with Wood in the middle.

This is a very interesting idea. Levitre will be missed more than most realize. You add a top notch OLT and we are looking at one of the strongest offensive lines in the NFL. Gives us the option of stuffing the ball down our opponents throats. Kolb is certainly serviceable in this situation. He has a fairly strong arm, the injury stuff is overrated, he was never injured in college. Any qb is going to get injured if they are constantly hit/sacked.

My only concern is his ability to digest a new system. He played with the same system in high school and college. If you look on Arizonas web site there is a video with Kurt Warner and him where he admits his first year there was difficult because he didn't fully understand the playbook.

Anyhow, really like the idea, great post.

I keep hearing this bad class & it annoys the hell out of me. Everyone needs to stop acting like experts. Alex Smith & Aaron Rodgers was thought to be a bad class. Romo & Warner didn't get drafted. Brady in the 6th, Kaep in the 2nd, & Wilson in the 3rd.

Face it, no one has any idea. But I know how you don't find a franchise guy, don't take a chance & that's what the Bills have done. And if the guy isn't the guy, draft another one until you get one. But hoping for the next draft class or on Fitz, Kolb, etc. helps you get 13 years without the playoffs.

Not saying to not draft a QB, but rather pick one commensurate with the probability of success. In fact, I would be on-board with drafting one every year until you find one - just not "reaching" every year until you find one. The best QBs in the league seem to fall into four categories:

1. No brainers: Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers. RG3, Andrew Luck...

2, Got lucky early: Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees (round 2), Russell Wilson ( round 3), Colin Kaepernick (Rnd 3), Andy Dalton (rnd 2)

3. Got lucky later: Tony Romo (undrafted), Matt Schaub (rnd 3),

4. Spent high picks and still struggling: Philly (Vick and Foles), Minn (Ponder in spite of Adrian Peterson), Chic (Jay Cutler), Det (Matt Stafford), Carolina (Cam Newton), TB (Josh Freeman), Stl: Sam Bradford), Miami (Tannehill), Jets (Sanchez), Cleveland (Weedon), Tenn (Locker), Jax (Gabbert), Oak (Palmer)

Takeaways:

1. Most good QBs are drafted early, but sometimes blind luck strikes and that team is set for a long time.

2. It is definitely not sufficient to just draft a QB early in order to turn a bad team around.

3. Having a highly regarded QB is not sufficient to be a very good team.

4. Not having a good QB does relegate a team to struggle.

It's okay. Considering the Oakland pending trade and the Arizona/Palmer pending deal, everybody is covering their a**es with vet QB's. Kolb seems no worse than Palmer or Flynn. He seems more accurate than Fitz. He's our bridge guy and a good call by the FO. Would you rather have Colt McCoy? I'm good wtih this. Now let's find a true franchise guy this year or next.

All you can do is ask.

I am not sure about that...Fitz could hit guys who were wide open, about 66% of the time...he just didn't have guys with breakaway speed that Kolb had in Philly and, to a degree, Arizona.

i really don't know much of kolb, but was originally underwhelmed by the signing. after letting it sink in and looking for the silver lining i came up with these thoughts...

- he hasn't sucked for our team yet, so there's that.

- he was rather highly sought after a couple years ago, so he must have flashed some ability.

-he gives a bit of flexibility in the upcoming draft.

- competition is good.

- and lastly, he is a young qb that is being given a fresh start. so it is concieveable that if he works well with the coaches and fits the system well, good things could happen.