Mysterious Booms Plaguing the United States

Apologies if this has been covered -- I'm just catching up on this. I have been looking into several of the alleged booms in Kentucky but just learned there were some recently between Buffalo and Rochester. Did anyone hear anything near them?

http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_db9ca928-8dee-11e2-801c-001a4bcf887a.html?fb_action_ids=227441624068021&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

http://www.earthfiles.com/news.php?ID=2058&category=Environment

Haven't they been happening for many, many years now... Especially on Cayuga and Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes... Mistpouffers or in NYS: Guns of Seneca. Seneca Guns (Seneca, SC)...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistpouffers

"The term originating in Seneca, South Carolina, mistpouffers, or Seneca Guns, referring to the rumble of artillery fire. An alternative explanation for the term "Seneca guns" is also provided. In 1850, James Fennimore Cooper, author of The Last of the Mohicans, wrote a story, “The Lake Gun,” describing the phenomenon, which seems to have popularized the term."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Ha!

lol, I knew it would be a very limited number of people who might know why I said that, so thank you for making it worth it lol.

The topic of her imaginary gas is of never ending enjoyment for me :lol:

lol, I knew it would be a very limited number of people who might know why I said that, so thank you for making it worth it lol.

And the real stuff... Don't get him started.

Haven't they been happening for many, many years now... Especially on Cayuga and Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes... Mistpouffers or in NYS: Guns of Seneca. Seneca Guns (Seneca, SC)...

http://en.m.wikipedi...ki/Mistpouffers

"The term originating in Seneca, South Carolina, mistpouffers, or Seneca Guns, referring to the rumble of artillery fire. An alternative explanation for the term "Seneca guns" is also provided. In 1850, James Fennimore Cooper, author of The Last of the Mohicans, wrote a story, "The Lake Gun," describing the phenomenon, which seems to have popularized the term."

I haven't heard any of them first hand so I can't say for certain. But the reports say they're definitely not from artillery fire or sonic booms.

Have a friend who's entire house shook, pictures broke, books fell, dogs went nuts -- but his neighbor three houses down didn't hear or feel a thing.

Vacationed in the Adirondacks last year and nearly every day we heard roaring and booms overhead. It was hazy quite a bit, but we always searched the sky to see if we could see planes that might have been the source of the noise. Mid week we finally did catch a glimpse of fighter jets hovering, going to pointing straight up - then losing altitude, then breaking off in a wild scramble that seemed to defy at least some of the laws of physics. Made more noise than a freight train passing at a road crossing in downtown Chicago.

We come in peace... we're getting ready for war.

Vacationed in the Adirondacks last year and nearly every day we heard roaring and booms overhead. It was hazy quite a bit, but we always searched the sky to see if we could see planes that might have been the source of the noise. Mid week we finally did catch a glimpse of fighter jets hovering, going to pointing straight up - then losing altitude, then breaking off in a wild scramble that seemed to defy at least some of the laws of physics. Made more noise than a freight train passing at a road crossing in downtown Chicago.

We come in peace... we're getting ready for war.

There have been Military "Oil burner" routes over that part of the country for 60 years. Used to be more activity when Pease & Plattsburg AFB were open.

I got it.

Booya

If everybody is saying "sonic boom" from modern planes... That may be the case now for the more frequent "booms." BUT, how do they explain "The Lake Gun?" That preceded jet aircraft, capable of breaking the sound barrier, by 100 years and written by famous American author: James Fennimore Cooper.

Mistpouffers have been heard all over the world for many, many years now. Could it be explosive gas escaping? Cayuga and Seneca Lakes are very deep lakes:

??

Has Lana been scuba diving recently? ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Haven't you left (again) yet...? :P

:nana:

I got it.

Booya

:thumbsup:

Has Lana been scuba diving recently? ;-)

God help the fish!

If everybody is saying "sonic boom" from modern planes... That may be the case now for the more frequent "booms." BUT, how do they explain "The Lake Gun?" That preceded jet aircraft, capable of breaking the sound barrier, by 100 years and written by famous American author: James Fennimore Cooper.

Mistpouffers have been heard all over the world for many, many years now. Could it be explosive gas escaping? Cayuga and Seneca Lakes are very deep lakes:

I'm going to side with Mark Twain on this one: Cooper was a moron.