86 year old man shoots wife in head...

boyst

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime/article/Man-86-gets-probation-in-Ariz-mercy-killing-4393915.php

and it is called a mercy killing. I... find it hard to believe the softest way was a gunshot to the head. However, I am ok with this. The suffering, the pain, etc... and this guy is 86. Come on, they'd been married so long and it's not like he's going to just run of with some 60 year old jailbait.

Tell you girlfriend I said Hi

She said "whoever that is, hi back..."

So wait, if your girlfriend offs my wife then she and I...........?

Um, pictures first please.

I have a policy against posting current girlfriends*. An ex good enough? http://i.imgur.com/0Ui6LsT.jpg

*except while high, in which case that was still only for a minute. I do not remember if I took it down or a moderator did for me... it was just her bent over gardening.

I got a picture of one of his girlfriends.

I am mostly monogamous right now, and neither is her... which is too baaaaaaaah'd, those are some hotties.

Who was the mercy for? Her or him? Ok, I kid, I kid!

But seriously, as well as I believe that what he did was a mercy killing. She was suffering and didn't want to spend the rest of her life in a NH. I don't know if this would be considered a slippery slope or not. I mean perhaps a person could kill their wife out of spite and claim it was a mercy killing later. I know that seems a little far fetched but look as some of the crap that ends up being claimed as a defense for murder already.

The judge made the right call in this case. I don't think this man is a danger to society and should not be in prison.

But we need to move more towards the laws we see in states like Oregon. When the end is near and your suffering is great. You should have the right to end your own life.

http://www.seattlepi...ing-4393915.php

and it is called a mercy killing. I... find it hard to believe the softest way was a gunshot to the head. However, I am ok with this. The suffering, the pain, etc... and this guy is 86. Come on, they'd been married so long and it's not like he's going to just run of with some 60 year old jailbait.

Maybe a better way to do this though would have been to let her do it herself. Though if the MS had progressed enough she may not have been able to hold the gun.

I have a policy against posting current girlfriends*. An ex good enough? http://i.imgur.com/0Ui6LsT.jpg

*except while high, in which case that was still only for a minute. I do not remember if I took it down or a moderator did for me... it was just her bent over gardening.

I am mostly monogamous right now, and neither is her... which is too baaaaaaaah'd, those are some hotties.

Freudian slip there??

If the power-mad scumbags who run our gubmint didn't have such a hard on to abolish any type of reasonable euthanasia, people wouldn't need to resort to gunshots to the head.

It's not just the scumbag politicians. It's the religious freaks who think their imaginary daddy in the sky disapproves of euthanasia.

It's not just the scumbag politicians. It's the religious freaks who think their imaginary daddy in the sky disapproves of euthanasia.

or its just the common sense idea, present in all of us, that ALL human life has value.

What we need is the federal government to do away with any religion. Make it against the law to believe in a god other than the government

Makes you smile just thinking about it, doesn't it? Imagine. Only the government to rule the world.

Oh, well, a man can dream, eh?

What we need is the federal government to do away with any religion. Make it against the law to believe in a god other than the government

Makes you smile just thinking about it, doesn't it? Imagine. Only the government to rule the world.

As a strong athiest who speaks his mind on it quite often here in the Bible belt I am still fine with religion if people can maintain a propper values system and know where it falls in their life and most importantly how it effects others around them. That people in this state believe in a supreme being THEN draw a conclusion that 'he' disapproves of homosexuality THEN determines what their neighbors can and cannot do annoys the **** out of me. However, if those same very people turned the other cheek and just let them go to Hell, as they think they will, I'm fine with that.

or its just the common sense idea, present in all of us, that ALL human life has value.

First of all, it's not present in all of us. Many believe in abortion. Many others believe in capital punishment. And of course, there are sociopaths, murderers, etc...

But the issue of euthanasia isn't about "human value." It's partly about the freedom of individuals to have control over their own bodies. It's also about human compassion to not see others suffer.

And for the purposes of any further euthanasia debate, the pro-euthanasia group like myself is referring to people with obvious terminal illnesses that cause great pain during their final days. Think more of the woman referred to in this thread, not some teenager with depression.

Wrong. As a libertarian, I strongly dislike most forms of government force - especially forms that go against our first amendment liberties.

But yes, I would love it if religion and all forms of supernatural thought were eventually eradicated throughout the world with the use of verbal persuasion and rational thought. Religion is an assault on human dignity, but it also muddies public policy issues like euthanasia.

P.S. Happy Easter, everyone!

Edited by Marc Miller

Religion is an assault on human dignity, but it also muddies public policy issues like euthanasia.

You call religion an assault on human dignity, and then wish everyone a Happy Easter. Having read your stuff before, I'll assume you couldn't even trip over that level of intended stupidity, so tell us, what would love about eradicating all religion? Then tell us how it is an assault on someone's dignity?

First of all, it's not present in all of us. Many believe in abortion. Many others believe in capital punishment. And of course, there are sociopaths, murderers, etc...

But the issue of euthanasia isn't about "human value." It's partly about the freedom of individuals to have control over their own bodies. It's also about human compassion to not see others suffer.

And for the purposes of any further euthanasia debate, the pro-euthanasia group like myself is referring to people with obvious terminal illnesses that cause great pain during their final days. Think more of the woman referred to in this thread, not some teenager with depression.

Wrong. As a libertarian, I strongly dislike most forms of government force - especially forms that go against our first amendment liberties.

But yes, I would love it if religion and all forms of supernatural thought were eventually eradicated throughout the world with the use of verbal persuasion and rational thought. Religion is an assault on human dignity, but it also muddies public policy issues like euthanasia.

Personally I'm not religious but I don't see religion as the main problem to societies ills Mr Maher.

Personally I'm not religious but I don't see religion as the main problem to societies ills Mr Maher.

Remember, there are people like yourself who don't believe in God, and there are people like MM who don't want anyone to believe in God.

Lost on no one is how liberals spend every day trying to tell you to be more tolerant. Except when it comes to believing in God. That's when who insist they are tolerant are intolerant of the tolerant.

The fun part is pointing this out to them, at which time they explain how the thinking is flawed because they're really an independent who voted for Jon Huntman.

Remember, there are people like yourself who don't believe in God, and there are people like MM who don't want anyone to believe in God.

Lost on no one is how liberals spend every day trying to tell you to be more tolerant. Except when it comes to believing in God. That's when who insist they are tolerant are intolerant of the tolerant.

The fun part is pointing this out to them, at which time they explain how the thinking is flawed because they're really an independent who voted for Jon Huntman.

:rolleyes:

Religion is an assault on human dignity, but it also muddies public policy issues like euthanasia.

it doesn't muddy the issue at all....it brings an inconvenient point of view into the arguement with which you do not agree.

Got a number for that?

Ok, but I wouldn’t so casually disregard the strife between Islamic peoples and the Judeo-Christian/secular nations of the West. Same thing with all of the human rights abuses throughout the world made in the name of religion.

The problem with religion is that it used as a justification to suspend logic and rationality in ANY public policy debate in order to support ANY cause. In the specific issue of euthanasia, these religious ideas happen to support government authority over an individual’s free choice. Maybe Terri Schiavo court cases don’t affect nearly as much of society as - say – the financial crisis of 2008, but they do legitimize non-analytical ways of thinking that eventually poison the broader public discourse.

it doesn't muddy the issue at all....it brings an inconvenient point of view into the arguement with which you do not agree.

Yes, invoking an imaginary authority figure to logically support one side of an argument can be highly "inconvenient."

Ok, but I wouldn’t so casually disregard the strife between Islamic peoples and the Judeo-Christian/secular nations of the West. Same thing with all of the human rights abuses throughout the world made in the name of religion.

The problem with religion is that it used as a justification to suspend logic and rationality in ANY public policy debate in order to support ANY cause. In the specific issue of euthanasia, these religious ideas happen to support government authority over an individual’s free choice. Maybe Terri Schiavo court cases don’t affect nearly as much of society as - say – the financial crisis of 2008, but they do legitimize non-analytical ways of thinking that eventually poison the broader public discourse.

Yes, invoking an imaginary authority figure to logically support one side of an argument can be highly "inconvenient."

So, where did Terry Schiavo stand on this issue?

That's not the problem with religion, that is the problem with lack of education and tribalism. I know plenty of religious people, Jew; Christian and Muslim and yet they are perfectly reasonable and educated people who have faith but are also very open minded. They use their faith to guide them but that doesn't mean it controls every aspect of their lives.

The smug elitist attitude of some atheists (yes you and Gene) makes you no better than the person who thinks you're going to hell because you don't believe.

Me? I think religion is part of our culture which is why it is still embraced. I enjoyed Easter at my mothers house, my brother (who is Jewish) comes over with his family and a tasty kosher cake and we all enjoy a nice weekend together. These traditions define people which is why I have Muslim friends who never go to a mosque who still choose to fast for Ramadan out of tradition.

Edited by meazza