With $17M to spend what FAs should Bills sign??

What happens when we sign lets say 3 players(average to below average)for 2 mil a year(very low number) that leaves us with a little over 10 mil in cap space. 5.5 mil to sign rookies. Now we have 4.5 mil left. The cap isn't going to go up very much the next few years.

So going into next year we will have somewhere around 5 mil in cap space(if we sign 3 average to below players like all of you suggest). We will need to re-sign wood who when healthy is one of the best centers in the game. He will get more than 5 mil a year. That will leave us with very little to no cap space to sign anyone next year let alone rookies. What if CJ holds out for more money?

So by all means screw up our cap situation now because the fans want the bills to sign anybody just because. There is a reason why these players are still out there. There is this thing called the future that we have to take into consideration and plan for.

Thank you. Many here don't understand this point and figure it is all because the team has incompetent front office personnel and is cheap. I think the lack of activity in big $ signings shows that they are actually paying very close attention to the long-term and know where their priorities are.

1 free agent signing, 6 draft picks and a boat load of money available. Nix has a funny way of rebuilding a team. I guess the plan is to sign a bunch of street free agents after the draft and hope a few stick. This might turn into one ugly season.

Because the best way a rookie LB learns is to be the only rookie or only crappy linebacker Dansby). Because the best way a rookie safety or CB learns is to have a run defense keep the opposition in long passing downs, not 2nd and 3 or 4 all day (Dansby). Because the best way a rookie QB learns is to have a good line in front of him (Moore) and some targets to throw to (Bey) and a defense that keeps teams from scoring so he is not forced to throw all day. Because the best way a project OG drafted in the fourth round learns is to play behind a veteran (Moore) for a year or two. Because the best way a rookie WR learns is to be the third or fourth option and not the second option.

The Bills are a pretty young team already. The best way for young guys to learn is to play around some older guys. You're right, we don't want a bunch of washed up vets on one leg. But, as stated, Dansby and Lawson next to Bradham, Sheppard and a rookie LB is going to help that rookie a lot. Lawson next to Bradham, Sheppard, a rookie and an UDFA is cause for panic.

Not saying Dansby isn't a good player. Its just that at his age and what he'll command for a salary and the reality that he would only be a Bill for a couple of years, why do that for a team that is probably a 4-6 win team in 13. A team to be said to be building through the draft and with players like Byrd, Wood, Spiller to re-sign. Draft a LB and plug him in.

Bills youngens didn't learn a whole lot from Barnett, Mario, and Anderson last year. And I suspect they wouldn't get a lot from Dansby either

Dansby belongs on a contender to get full value not a perennial doormat.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

From the way we simply announced a press conference to sign Lawson I think it's clear they have been trying to land free agents since free agency started, just quite unsuccessfully. Players on offense won't sign until we have a QB unless we overpay and it looks like we're not going to. I dunno why D players aren't signing, other than the obvious small town, cold climate, terrible team argument. The Davis negotiations became public most likely because he was using us and hoping to get a higher offer from the redskins before re-signing. In this case silence isn't golden, I think its a clear indication we are failing at attracting anyone.

I'm trying to think of the players we pretty much know the Bills had an interest in: I believe Delanie Walker, obviously Manny Lawson and Fred Davis. Certainly they're not batting 1.000 but it's hard to say how many players they've actually approached.

I think the lack of activity in big $ signings shows that they are actually paying very close attention to the long-term and know where their priorities are.

As I've said a few times this offseason, it seems like the Bills are being very disciplined about appraising players and sticking to their appraisals. Players will come to Buffalo to play under the Bills terms or not at all. It doesn't look like the Bills are willing to "throw in another $300-400,000 to get deals done.

I think it's clear that the Bills are conducting things very differently this offseason on several fronts, another area being how tight-lipped and secretive they've been since the reorganization.

Anyways, my view is that the Bills are being very disciplined.

As I've said a few times this offseason, it seems like the Bills are being very disciplined about appraising players and sticking to their appraisals. Players will come to Buffalo to play under the Bills terms or not at all. It doesn't look like the Bills are willing to "throw in another $300-400,000 to get deals done.

I think it's clear that the Bills are conducting things very differently this offseason on several fronts, another area being how tight-lipped and secretive they've been since the reorganization.

Anyways, my view is that the Bills are being very disciplined.

Here's the problem with that: there's no reason for a player coveted by any other team to sign with us absent overspending. They're not going to line up at the door to catch passes from unnamed rookie or Tavaris Jackson and we're not attracting anyone who is looking to come play for a winner. So while I understand the notion that the "disciplined spending" route is better in the long run, it is frustrating to sit here knowing we're restarting the rebuilding process yet again and we won't be competitive for at least 3 years. Oh and we have no idea whether Marrone will be even a halfway decent coach, but we know it will take at least 2 years to determine that, so come 2015 we could be doing this all over again.

Stand pat and wait to sign a few UDFA's and other teams waived players after the draft. This way we can take advantage of picking up a couple of compensatory draft picks next year due to our net loss of FA's this offseason. One of those picks should be high due to the contract LeVitre signed with Tennessee. If we sign 1 or 2 more FA's during the FA period we risk losing these compensatory picks, one of which could be a 3rd or 4th rounder. I don't think theres anybody left on the open market that would be worth sacrificing a mid round pick on........do you? Bottom line is: we're going to suck this year, so don't go after short term band aids that will cost us compensatory picks next year. We need all the picks we can get with this new regime that will certainly be turning the roster over on both offense and defense over the next couple of years.

Edited by Estro

That $17 million cap space is only good for the 2013 season. $10 million roll over from 2012 , then in 2014 a charge of $7 million for Fitz. If I understand it correctly.

From what I understand, Fitz total cap hit was $10m. $5m to be absorbed in 13 and $5m in 14.

From what I understand, Fitz total cap hit was $10m. $5m to be absorbed in 13 and $5m in 14.

It's 3 this and 7 next.

In releasing him, the Bills deferred some of the cap hit they will take by giving him a “post-June 1” designation. He will count $3 million against this year’s salary cap and $7 million against the Bills’ salary cap in 2014. Those numbers account for amortized bonus money Fitzpatrick has received.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130312/SPORTS/130319741/1082