Buffalo one of the 5 weakest rosters

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo is listed as number 4 of the 5 weakest rosters going into the draft. They list (1) Jacksonville, (2) Oakland, (3) New Jersey Jets behind us; and (5)San Diego ahead of us. The article pointed out the deficiencies at LB, CB, and WR which I agree with. But I don't feel we're in need of a RT. Your thoughts?

RT is mediocre but acceptable with Pears and Hairston. The current status of the QB, G, WR, and LB positions is downright frightening. So overall, I would say that ranking is pretty accurate.

I look at the lack of depth or well.. the lack of positions filled. But I have to admit. I am a little excited to see what our coaching staff comes up with. When was the last time we had such a high tempo offense kind of coach. He is all offense and I love it. I can care less if our QB, G, WR and LB starters are all rookies. I am excited to see what he does.

I would agree with the ranking which is why the following is true.

1) We have a small salary cap problem as we have heard on this sight...tells me our Front Office is bad. since we are drafting poorly and paying too much for many players. (see mario as #1). Can anyone tell me who we are overpaying...to be in that trouble..it must be everyone...and the only reason I can think of is we are bad managers and no one wants to play for the Bills without being overpaid, which leads back to the bad FO.

2) The biggest strength we had was the Oline and we allowed that to be hurt and become week with the loss of Levitre and Rinehart. We draft Levitre, he plays well and almost every game for 4 years...and we allow ourselves to create another hole because we over pay for Mario, Fitz, (I know he is gone now).

Anyone disagree

Buffalo is listed as number 4 of the 5 weakest rosters going into the draft. They list (1) Jacksonville, (2) Oakland, (3) New Jersey Jets behind us; and (5)San Diego ahead of us. The article pointed out the deficiencies at LB, CB, and WR which I agree with. But I don't feel we're in need of a RT. Your thoughts?

That's our GM for ya.

We don't NEED a RT but we need a a RT.

We'll have THE weakest roster next year, but at least we'll have the top pick and ANOTHER new head coach...

The bills are not going to have the weakest roster unless Jacksonville dramatically improve over the rest of the offseason. They are not going to give up on their head coach after one season either, he is not responsible for this roster.

I look at the lack of depth or well.. the lack of positions filled. But I have to admit. I am a little excited to see what our coaching staff comes up with. When was the last time we had such a high tempo offense kind of coach. He is all offense and I love it. I can care less if our QB, G, WR and LB starters are all rookies. I am excited to see what he does.

When was the last time a team hires a OC with NO nfl experience? I can't ever recall that happening before.

Whatever deficiencies this team has, other than the qb position, can be adequately and temporarily fixed with mid-level free agent acquisitions. If we come out of this draft with a qb prospect that demonstrates that he has the potential to be a quality franchise qb then the trajectory for this franchise is upward. It might not be reflected in this year's record but capable qb play will give this fanbase hope that this can be a serious team.

The one qb in this draft who is most prepared to start right away is Barkley. He is well schooled in the type of system that Hackett wants to employ. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that in the long run Barkley will be the best qb in this draft for this franchise. Geno Smith has more tools (athleticism and arm strength) than Barkley. But it will take him a little more time to get acclimated to the pro game. Manuel is another qb who has more physical assets but is much rawer as a player coming into the pro ranks.

1) We have a small salary cap problem as we have heard on this sight...tells me our Front Office is bad. since we are drafting poorly and paying too much for many players. (see mario as #1). Can anyone tell me who we are overpaying...to be in that trouble..it must be everyone...and the only reason I can think of is we are bad managers and no one wants to play for the Bills without being overpaid, which leads back to the bad FO.

2) The biggest strength we had was the Oline and we allowed that to be hurt and become week with the loss of Levitre and Rinehart. We draft Levitre, he plays well and almost every game for 4 years...and we allow ourselves to create another hole because we over pay for Mario, Fitz, (I know he is gone now).

Anyone disagree

No, pretty spot on. I think most were pretty shocked by the Fitz and going back a few years the Kelsay contract. (among others).

Wait...,my script says that our roster has gotten much better over the past 3 years and they have performed poorly due to poor coaching and "schemes".

Ha HA Ha :thumbsup:

Edited by Cville Bills

Wait...,my script says that our roster has gotten much better over the past 3 years and they have performed poorly due to poor coaching and "schemes".

We have one zealot fan who is a regular poster who believes the failure of the organization is due to the lackluster support of the fans. His line of reasoning is when your eyes tell you that something is bad the solution is to close your eyes. He believes that chiding the battered fans is the solution to breathing new life into a deflated franchise. LOL

Anyone disagree

You say we shouldn't overpay for players, but then suggest that letting Levitre (a B+/A- guard not known for elite run-blocking) walk at $8.5m/year was a mistake. We shouldn't be spending 7% of our cap on a guard, much less a non-elite guard. When a team has been as bad as the Bills have been for as long, it's everything: front office, coaching, significant numbers of under-performing players. I think this ranking reflects a mediocre roster with a horrific QB situation. Whether we're in worse shape than the Rams or the Lions or the Chiefs or the Cardinals, well, that's what the season's for. I think it's highly unlikely that the worst five rosters in the NFL are all from one conference.

So we are actually second wrost roster in NFL according to above. Way to go Buddy!!!!!

Surprised we're as good as 5th worst. It's hard to fathom other teams being as devoid of talent as we are. We just don't have more than a handful of playmakers on this team. We have a good DE, 2 good DTs, one good CB and one good S on defense. So we're only 7 players away on defense. On offense, I count CJ, Stevie, Wood, Glenn, and Freddy if he's healthy. That's 5 on offense and no QB to boot.

It's gonna be fugly for a few years folks.

GO BILLS!!!

You say we shouldn't overpay for players, but then suggest that letting Levitre (a B+/A- guard not known for elite run-blocking) walk at $8.5m/year was a mistake. We shouldn't be spending 7% of our cap on a guard, much less a non-elite guard. When a team has been as bad as the Bills have been for as long, it's everything: front office, coaching, significant numbers of under-performing players. I think this ranking reflects a mediocre roster with a horrific QB situation. Whether we're in worse shape than the Rams or the Lions or the Chiefs or the Cardinals, well, that's what the season's for. I think it's highly unlikely that the worst five rosters in the NFL are all from one conference.

FYI, Levitre signed for $7.8 million/year, not $8.5.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/andy-levitre/