Luke Tasker

JohnC

not to hijack your hijack, but he did pretty darn well for himself when our receivers were all banged up. Had a stretch of very good games and not as a young player. Still...his forte was ST and he was the best.

Exactly...

When Kelly finally got his way later in their careers (Jimbo is always commenting that he lobbied the Coaching staff hard for Tasker to play WR throughout his career) Tasker's contributions as a WR were actually very good...I seem to remember The Bills having a rash of WR injuries in 95 in order for Tasker to finally get a shot...But even then The Bills were very careful about how much he was used as a WR...

The more I think about it...I wonder if Tasker played nowadays how good he could be as a WR?...I think he was actually Welker-like...But it was a different game back then... B-)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a short period of time when the Bills had injuries to its receiver corps. He filled in as a receiver. He was terrific. Had glue like hands and was able to find the holes in the defense. He could have been the pre-Welker if he was allowed to just play as a receiver.

You're absolutely right. In Tasker's last two seasons in Buffalo (and of his career) he was a very effective slot receiver.

They also liked to get him the ball with shovel passes and reverses.

It was a shame he wasn't used a bit more from scrimmage because even at the end of his career you could see his incredible quickness and athleticism.

I do not know, not to hijack this to a Steve thread, but I remember him being played at WR and not fairing all that well..

Steve was excellent at receiver whenever given the chance. It wasn't until later in his career that we given any chance. At one point, I remember he was the lynchpin as we didn't have much left. Probably Andre was hurt, etc.

Somebody mentioned Tasker's humility. Before anybody really saw him as a receiver, Kelly used to say how great he is in practice and that if given the chance he could be the next Steve Largent. Tasker said "Statements like that is why they drug test us."

not to hijack your hijack, but he did pretty darn well for himself when our receivers were all banged up. Had a stretch of very good games and not as a young player. Still...his forte was ST and he was the best.

he was very good at WR from what I recall. And watching him on special teams was, well, special.

Steve was excellent at receiver whenever given the chance. It wasn't until later in his career that we given any chance. At one point, I remember he was the lynchpin as we didn't have much left. Probably Andre was hurt, etc.

Somebody mentioned Tasker's humility. Before anybody really saw him as a receiver, Kelly used to say how great he is in practice and that if given the chance he could be the next Steve Largent. Tasker said "Statements like that is why they drug test us."

If this is true, Levy should be drug tested. If your top QB says a guy should be given a shot at receiver and compares him to Largent, he should prob be given a shot. Turns out, Kelly was correct and Steve could have had a great career as a WR....he just got his shot too late.

You're absolutely right. In Tasker's last two seasons in Buffalo (and of his career) he was a very effective slot receiver.

They also liked to get him the ball with shovel passes and reverses.

It was a shame he wasn't used a bit more from scrimmage because even at the end of his career you could see his incredible quickness and athleticism.

You have to wonder what he could of done for some of those SB teams if he could have fully unleashed his quickness and athleticism in a WR/Welker/Harvin hybrid role. And he was that quick at the end of his career you have to think he would have been even better earlier on!

Backups tend not to get drafted.

Is he a backup at Miami. I actually had no idea he was anywhere.

You have to wonder what he could of done for some of those SB teams if he could have fully unleashed his quickness and athleticism in a WR/Welker/Harvin hybrid role. And he was that quick at the end of his career you have to think he would have been even better earlier on!

Is he a backup at Miami. I actually had no idea he was anywhere.

Chad Kelly...that is why I quoted "I dread when Kelly's jerk nephew is eligible for the league in a few years."

Tasker seems like a humble guy. His ST play re-wrote the book. He was a guy you could count on, every time.

It may take years but he is one of the first ST stars for the NFL, that played at a very high level for years. He'll get in.

I doubt that he will get in. He was a unique player for us who made a disproportiante impact compared to the number of plays he was involved in. A roster having a number of rare character guys can't necessarily be measured but they do make a difference.

As much as I have a high regard for him as a player and person I agree with his assessment that he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. Putting him on the Stadium Wall is a worthy tribute to this special player and person.

I missed this take before my post John...

Great minds think alike... ;)

You can do better than that. My mind is not great! I struggle to climb the mountain of mediocrity. LOL

I am not going to disagree with you folks, but hmmm... I guess I do not remember at all then.

I seem to remember him playing pretty well....and thinking "why the hell haven't they been using him as a WR more?" I remember, as well, Jim Kelly raving about him, saying that people will be plesently surprised at how good a receiver he was.

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point on why Marv didn't allow Tasker to play more on offense. Its not because he didn't think he was good enough to, it was because he was such an impact player on ST that he did not want to risk him getting injured as a WR and losing him. Before you attack me and say he has a higher chance of getting hurt on ST than by playing WR, I am just going by what I read from Jim or Marv in one of their books, that was the reason that was given for why Steve didn't play more on Offense.

And another thing some people tend to forget about Steve Tasker was although he was a small guy he was still an exceptional athlete, he was not just a high character guy

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point on why Marv didn't allow Tasker to play more on offense. Its not because he didn't think he was good enough to, it was because he was such an impact player on ST that he did not want to risk him getting injured as a WR and losing him. Before you attack me and say he has a higher chance of getting hurt on ST than by playing WR, I am just going by what I read from Jim or Marv in one of their books, that was the reason that was given for why Steve didn't play more on Offense.

And another thing some people tend to forget about Steve Tasker was although he was a small guy he was still an exceptional athlete, he was not just a high character guy

That is the reasoning that I heard, too. Marv did put so much emphasis on ST that I believe it.

I met Tasker a year after he retired and just simply could not believe that a guy this small could take on these monsters on that field.