• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's say the Bills like the QBs in this order:

Manuel

Smith

Glennon

Nassib

Pick #8 comes up and all are still available. There are no potential trade down partners.

What do you do? Do you pick Manuel? You like him better than anyone else.

Do you wait until round two knowing that Smith will be gone but hoping that Manuel lasts? It is likely that most teams like Smith best do there is at least one QB that goes before Manuel. Are Nassib and Glennon good enough as consolation prizes? Does your plan become trading back in ahead of a team that you think wants Manuel?

Those are all hypotheticals.

One general question is whether you think Manuel will last and become an option for the Bills at #41.

I am sure Barkley and Geno are on everyone's list at the top of the board. E.J Manuel is a project, someone like Chip Kelly may be inclined to draft and have him learn for a year while Vick finishes his contract.

There is likely to be a run on the 2nd tier QBs from the end of 1st round to beginning of 2nd round. It kind of hurts the Bills that their 2nd rd pick comes only after the Jets. If they stay course, they are likely to lose out on their choice. The Bills have a choice...Just pick their highest rated QB that is still available at #8 and everything else is moot. If the Bills take the risk of trying to draft one in the 2nd, they may have serious competition.,

Simple - you draft a WR at #41... There will plenty of WRs there for the picking....

+1. It is a deep WR draft.

I am sure Barkley and Geno are on everyone's list at the top of the board. E.J Manuel is a project, someone like Chip Kelly may be inclined to draft and have him learn for a year while Vick finishes his contract.

There is likely to be a run on the 2nd tier QBs from the end of 1st round to beginning of 2nd round. It kind of hurts the Bills that their 2nd rd pick comes only after the Jets. If they stay course, they are likely to lose out on their choice. The Bills have a choice...Just pick their highest rated QB that is still available at #8 and everything else is moot. If the Bills take the risk of trying to draft one in the 2nd, they may have serious competition.,

+1. It is a deep WR draft.

LOL...that's total BS. EJ Manuel is smarter and much more of a leader type than Smith, and he's fits the mold of today's modern athletic and fast NFL QB while Barkley clearly does not.

Where do people get this stuff? Manuel isn't a lock to be a great QB, but he's certainly not a "project" prospect. He ran a pro offense at FSU. The guy is huge and can outrun defenders with ease. Has a good arm with a lot of potential there.

Just draft EJ Manuel in the first and Hunter or Wheatley in the second round and let's get this train a movin'.

Let's say the Bills like the QBs in this order:

Manuel

Smith

Glennon

Nassib

Pick #8 comes up and all are still available. There are no potential trade down partners.

What do you do? Do you pick Manuel? You like him better than anyone else.

Do you wait until round two knowing that Smith will be gone but hoping that Manuel lasts? It is likely that most teams like Smith best do there is at least one QB that goes before Manuel. Are Nassib and Glennon good enough as consolation prizes? Does your plan become trading back in ahead of a team that you think wants Manuel?

Those are all hypotheticals.

One general question is whether you think Manuel will last and become an option for the Bills at #41.

You trade back from #8 get a pick in the teens or low 20's and pick the QB that you want with the highest ceiling at that spot. There will be teams looking to move up, and the Bills NEED more picks.

in all honesty i don't know much about any of these guys. i don't watch much college ball so i have to relly on the expert opinions of my fellow TBDers. in closing, you can appreciate how badly my head is @!#$ed right about now. buddy, i'm really hoping that the sun is shining on your backside come draft day!

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: just want to close my eyes and wake up one month from now.

You are exhausted by the number of QB threads? Damn dude, get off your couch and get some exercise.

Hardy har har. Wanna race?

It's amazing how some fans just assume that if we take a non QB at #8 that the player we would take will automatically become a "Blue Chip Player" whereas if we take a QB somehow that player is almost certainly doomed to fail...

We took Dareus at #3 - Has he become a "Blue Chip Player"???? NO

I'm definitely guilty of this. I catch myself thinking there has to be a blue chip LB or WR at 8 that is a sure thing, with much better odds of succeeding than reaching for these Mallet/Gabbert type QB's we have to choose from this year.

Then I read the mocks with us taking a guy like Patterson at WR and all the analysts say he's raw and still a reach at 8 and I'm thinking we might as well roll the dice on a thrower.

This draft class is the strangest one I can remember.

To the OP, does this mean you're no longer in favor of selecting Johnny Manziel this year?

I do want us to take Manziel but that is contingent on either another team in the 5-7 range manning up and taking Clowney so we have an ally in the inevitable court case OR someone putting up the White House petition which would negate the need to go through the courts. I wrote the darn thing and nobody has submitted it. I think you should. I would sign it and think if we got enough publicity we could get to the required number.

Edited by 4merper4mer

You trade back from #8 get a pick in the teens or low 20's and pick the QB that you want with the highest ceiling at that spot. There will be teams looking to move up, and the Bills NEED more picks.

And then the Jets take the QB you wanted and you are screwed.

Y'know . . . it's been 13 looooong years since we've seen the post-season. It's time to change tack. We need to stop picking the best player available (BPA) and pick the best QB available in Rd 1 - every year until we get our next 'Jim Kelly'.

Sound crazy - I don't think so. Going into the last 13 years HOPING the guy we have at QB can do the job has been crazy. Hoping that if we surround him with the best 52 other guys we can find and hoping that he'll be good enough to lead us to wins is crazy. It hasn't worked. The craziness must end!

Drafting the BPA is the rule of thumb WHEN you have your 'Jim Kelly' in place. But until then, I say grab a QB at #1 of Rd 1 every year. I bet if we do this we'll have our next QB within 3 years. THEN we can build around him to win in January!

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Given our present situation (passed on Alex Smith and cut Ryan Fitz.) I think we have to draft a quality qb in round 1 or round 2. There are the four quality qb's mentioned, and it is probable that Manuel and/or Smith will be there at 8. If we wait until the 4r1st pick, it is possible that NONE of the four will be available. I think we have gone out on a limb at this point and have no choice but to go for the best qb available in round 1.

even though we NEED a QB, it's the same issue every year regardless of position. it comes down to the gap between the guys you can get in rd1 and rd 2. if the Bills were "sold" on a guy, then this isn't even a discussion.. we take him, or trade up to get him. to even be thinking about waiting, then the premise here is obviously they are NOT "sold" and only think of any QB, even their highest rated, as a "B" grade player.

if there is an A receiver, and by rd2 likely only only to be a "C" receiver left on their borad... and if there are a bunch of B quarterbacks, very closely rated and probably even a difference of opinion in the room, then it's logical they go and get an A receiver and B QB, rather than a B qb and a C receiver.

if the difference between getting a Geno and getting one of Manuel , Wilson, or Nassib is very small compared to Patterson vs. i dunno... Dobson from Marshall say, then you gotta go WR first.

The more I think about it I dont draft a QB at all this year. Lets address other areas go 2-14 and grab a top notch one next year.

This is what I would do, although I may take a flier on a guy in the 3rd-4th. This season will be rough regardless of who we take... we seriously lack that much talent. This will be another tough rebuild. I'd rather tank this season and get a Bridgewater next year.

The more I think about it I dont draft a QB at all this year. Lets address other areas go 2-14 and grab a top notch one next year.

This is what people said last year. And the year before. And the year before that.

What happens if Bridgewater and Manziel both stay in school? The idea of waiting another year is dumb. Take a guy every year if you have to. We can't keep ignoring the QB position hoping that an elite one falls in our laps the next year.

This is what people said last year. And the year before. And the year before that.

What happens if Bridgewater and Manziel both stay in school? The idea of waiting another year is dumb. Take a guy every year if you have to. We can't keep ignoring the QB position hoping that an elite one falls in our laps the next year.

Consider me onboard with drafting a QB every year in perpetuity. The worst that happens is you have a "controversy," second worst is a "controversy" for backup (something I think any level-headed coach would welcome), best case scenario: you upgrade the most important position on the field...

LOL...that's total BS. EJ Manuel is smarter and much more of a leader type than Smith, and he's fits the mold of today's modern athletic and fast NFL QB while Barkley clearly does not.

Where do people get this stuff? Manuel isn't a lock to be a great QB, but he's certainly not a "project" prospect. He ran a pro offense at FSU. The guy is huge and can outrun defenders with ease. Has a good arm with a lot of potential there.

Just draft EJ Manuel in the first and Hunter or Wheatley in the second round and let's get this train a movin'.

If EJ is the complete player that you are talking about, then he would be projected as a #1 pick, especially in the days when "read option" QBs seems to be the hot thing....I am yet to see a single draft expert put Manuel at the top of the draft board.

If Geno & EJ are there when we pick at 8 & we pass on taking a QB then Nix should never be allowed any where near Buffalo ever again. We NEED the best QB we can possibly get.

People said this about a LT last year, and we ended up with Glenn in round 2.

It could easily happen again with a QB this year...

1) the OP proposed in his scenario that there were no trade partners

2) I don't see a single player that would entice a team to give up extra picks to move up into the top 10 this year...too deep a class with too little top-end talent

I say Patterson at #8 and with #41 QB I would expect all Glennon, Nassib and possibly even Manuel to be there

That is a textbook way of bombing a draft.

You take a guy who can produce IMMEDIATELY, from day 1 at 8. Not a project WR that will be good 2-3 years down the line. If Jarvis Jones, Ziggy Ansah, Star Louteilei, or Dion Jordan is there, you take one of them. None of this "REACHING" for players garbage. This is how we got here in the first place.

I still laugh at people who think we're set at the pass rush department. We need pass rushers and CBs. I'll even take Dee Milliner at 8 if he's available.

Pure garbage

Edited by FleaMoulds80

Im surprised that there is not talk about going after Palmer, not reach for a qb or a wr in round 1. We can get an impact player OL, DE/OLB that has great percentages of working out. WR are one of the biggest bust positions in the first round especially that high if a pick (less then 40% turn out). Patterson is not Julio Jones nor shoud he warrent that high of a pick, we should wait till the second round and have whatever qb learn behind Carson palmer for a year and draft another qb every year until we get our guy.