Joe Lombardi sure loves Drew Brees

WotAGuy

Today I heard Joe Lombardi, grandson of Vince, speak in Syracuse at IGNITE - a Catholic men's conference. Joe spoke about his Catholic faith and did so in the context of the qualities that a quarterback has....because that is what he can relate to, being a QB coach for the Saints. So, he compared a good QB's qualities with those of a good Catholic. A few tidbits:

• Joe is an engaging, honest and authentic speaker; I enjoyed his talk.
  • He didn't play up the Vince Lombardi connection, which seemed very humble but also accurate, since he never met the man (Joe was born about 10 years after Vince passed).
  • Joe LOVES Drew Brees - total mentions of Drew Brees = 37 (est). Total mentions of Jesus Christ = 0.
  • Joe said he has been studying Ryan Nassib and said "he reminds me of Drew Brees". Unfortunately, you have to qualify that comparison because he pronounced his name "nass-EEB".
  • Joe never mentioned a QB's physical skills, but instead completely focused on intelligence, consistency, dedication, work ethic and leadership (not surprising given the topic of his talk, but it made me appreciate a little better why Chan was so stuck on Fitz....the mental part seems much more critical - and hard to find - from this coach's perspective).
  • Told a funny story about when his 5th kid was born - two of his young daughters wanted to name him Sarge or Chief (because they also had just gotten a puppy). When told that they needed to name their brother after a saint, they said "like Reggie Bush?"

Hey, thanks for sharing that, that was entertaining. I would love to hear what NFL coaches and their assistants really have to say about players, the truth, none of the coach speak.

Honestly, he could not say enough good things about Brees....the quality of person he is, his dedication, smarts and leadership were lauded over and over again. He must be quite a guy in person,the way Joe talked about him.

And I could really understand how Chan stayed with Fitz. Joe talked about discussions with other coaches that complained they can't do things with their protections that the Saints do because their QB can't handle it mentally.

Joe ran through an example play using actual terminology and how various defensive looks will modify the play. It had the audience laughing because it was so convoluted and difficult to follow - and the QB has to process it instantaneously. I got a great appreciation for what they have to absorb so quickly during the week. They develop a portion of the game plan on Tuesday (1st and 2nd down plays) and e-mail it at night and expect the QB to have mastered it by practice the next morning. Wednesday they do 3rd downs and expect QB to get it down before practice Thursday morning. Thursday they develop red zone plan and expect QB to have it cold by Friday morning.....amazing. He said everyone is burned out come Friday.

Wow, the realty of being a QB, how few people even have a clue what they have to go thru mentally and then also being physically gifted.

Btw, one of my sons live Lafayette, Louisiana and ran into Brees at the airport. He let him take a up close picture of him and my son said that he was very cool to him.

So that's Gruden, Greg Cosell (NFL films), Russ Lande, and Joe Lombardi who are on the Nassib bandwagon? Interesting.

On the bandwagon? I'd assume they are looking at him as a mid round backup to replace chase.

As to the drew love - I get it. The guys a warrior, seems to really care about people, and even behind closed doors away from cameras I've experienced and heard nothing but stellar reviews. If your into faith and football you'd probably enjoy his book a lot.

No, these guys think he's the best quarterback in the draft.

There is a good chance that the Bills could be in position to take the top qb prospect in this draft, or at worst the second pick at the qb prospects. I have no firm stance on which one is the best. Each has different skill sets. If the Bills are going to take a risk on a player then why not take the risk on the most important and impactful position on the field. If it doesn't work out then try again next year.

Drew Brees is going to be in the HOF some day. He was drafted in the top of the second round. He was not noted for his athleticism or for his powerful arm. What makes his special is his accuracy and his ability to quickly process information and make reads. What distinguishes him is his intangibles relating to the mental side of the game. Does Barkley fall in the Brees mold or in the Pennington mold?

The below link is a Mariucci interview of Barkley. Barkley is a very impressive person.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Mock-Draft-Watch-50/fa35a67c-93b1-49ea-8bf4-7bbcbe0a4b30?campaign=BillsBuzz

Today I heard Joe Lombardi, grandson of Vince, speak in Syracuse at IGNITE - a Catholic men's conference. Joe spoke about his Catholic faith and did so in the context of the qualities that a quarterback has....because that is what he can relate to, being a QB coach for the Saints. So, he compared a good QB's qualities with those of a good Catholic. A few tidbits:

• Joe is an engaging, honest and authentic speaker; I enjoyed his talk.
  • He didn't play up the Vince Lombardi connection, which seemed very humble but also accurate, since he never met the man (Joe was born about 10 years after Vince passed).

Is Mike Lombardi, the Browns new GM, related to Vince?

Obviously not. He died before he became related to him.

"And I could really understand how Chan stayed with Fitz. Joe talked about discussions with other coaches that complained they can't do things with their protections that the Saints do because their QB can't handle it mentally."

Honestly, so much is discussed about Fitz's brain given his Harvard background - however his decision making was often poor. I truly don't think his brain is is strength - it's his guts. He is a gutsy player that is easy to root for. But his brain/decision making was often suspect.

"And I could really understand how Chan stayed with Fitz. Joe talked about discussions with other coaches that complained they can't do things with their protections that the Saints do because their QB can't handle it mentally."

Honestly, so much is discussed about Fitz's brain given his Harvard background - however his decision making was often poor. I truly don't think his brain is is strength - it's his guts. He is a gutsy player that is easy to root for. But his brain/decision making was often suspect.

I like your points.

Fitz' greatest attribute was possibly his toughness.

Also the academic brain is only one part of quarterback intelligence.

There's a large realm of the mental aspect that cannot be learned regardless of IQ and classroom habits, IMO.

That's why you've had very intelligent QBs fail and some real dummies go on to HOF careers.

I like your points.

Fitz' greatest attribute was possibly his toughness.

Also the academic brain is only one part of quarterback intelligence.

There's a large realm of the mental aspect that cannot be learned regardless of IQ and classroom habits, IMO.

That's why you've had very intelligent QBs fail and some real dummies go on to HOF careers.

Fitz's problem had little to do with the mental side of the game. He could adequately read defenses and know where to go with the ball. His problem was that he was a weak armed erratic passer. He simply on a consistent basis could not execute what he wanted to do. Just as a back could adquately read blocks and know where to run it doesn't work out if you can't hit the hole fast enough. In other words physical limitations trump mental awareness.

Fitz's problem had little to do with the mental side of the game. He could adequately read defenses and know where to go with the ball. His problem was that he was a weak armed erratic passer. He simply on a consistent basis could not execute what he wanted to do. Just as a back could adquately read blocks and know where to run it doesn't work out if you can't hit the hole fast enough. In other words physical limitations trump mental awareness.

Ya his decision making was fine, but his ability to execute it was the problem

I've been on the fence there. Whether his decision making was poor or he knew that despite his shortcomings there were times in the game he didnt get to hide those and had to take the shot anyway.

His play becoming so amazingly good (see Stevie against Pitt, ravens, etc...) or frankly terrible (more than I care to revisit) leads me to believe he knew that it was time to put it all on the line even if the odds weren't very great. Rarely did I feel the same frustration with his reads early that I did often late.... Leads me to believe he had the decision making part down more or less. It may be selective memory but I don't remember as many "dumb throws" or "fitz moments" before crunch time

Edited by NoSaint