A Question for those who live in, or have been to San Francisco

Special K

I'm going to be in San Francisco for a couple of days next week, and I was wondering what is the best way to get to and from SFO airport.

I was planning on taking the BART from the airport to the last stop on the downtown SF line, then taking a cab from there to my hotel at Fisherman's Wharf.

Is the extra effort worth the money you save from not taking a cab straight from the airport to the hotel?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

I'm going to be in San Francisco for a couple of days next week, and I was wondering what is the best way to get to and from SFO airport.

I was planning on taking the BART from the airport to the last stop on the downtown SF line, then taking a cab from there to my hotel at Fisherman's Wharf.

Is the extra effort worth the money you save from not taking a cab straight from the airport to the hotel?

I don't know what a cab costs from sfo to the wharf - but I think supershuttle would probably be about $20 one way on a shared ride into the City.

Still, from the Embarcadero Bart (catch a cab at the Hyatt) to the wharf can't be very much via cab (1.5 mile tops).

Edited by NorCal Aaron

Depending on the Hotel, they have shuttles? Personally I hate BART. But if your on a tight budget you gotta do what you gotta due. There's also shuttle buses to areas in the city, but I don't know the savings over a cab.

I'd beeline on a cab. Also hit some bars in North Beach my old stomping grounds for many years. NB is now my kids place to hang.You can walk there.

Take BART to Embarcadero and then cab to the hotel would be probably the best. Or take BART and walk to your hotel if you don't have a lot of luggage. If you're going to be here for any length of time you're going to eat and drink tons so you'll need the exercise.

take notes of what you did, then when you get back you can offer some tips/advice to our resident Chef, he lives there but he always appreciates new ideas....

Take BART to Embarcadero and then cab to the hotel would be probably the best. Or take BART and walk to your hotel if you don't have a lot of luggage. If you're going to be here for any length of time you're going to eat and drink tons so you'll need the exercise.

HYPOCRIT!

You can't give advice, and OP needs to dismiss your illogicalness nonsense respond.

By bicycle. It's quickest, since you don't have to pay attention to traffic laws.

take notes of what you did, then when you get back you can offer some tips/advice to our resident Chef, he lives there but he always appreciates new ideas....

Lol.....I forgot about Chef's "Thanks, but I don't need any advice" threads.

In fact, according to Chef, my original idea is the best way to go, so technically I could respond with a "Thanks, but it turns out I don't need any advice!!!!" Lol.

Lol.....I forgot about Chef's "Thanks, but I don't need any advice" threads.

In fact, according to Chef, my original idea is the best way to go, so technically I could respond with a "Thanks, but it turns out I don't need any advice!!!!" Lol.

Do you really think I gave you the best way to get there? :w00t: Ok, here's what you do:

BART to Civic Center station then Muni to Montgomery Station. Take the outgoing 10 bus and get off at Brannan and 2nd. From there you'll want to walk to King St and pick up the N train. Now here's where it get's tricky. The N train runs M-F at regular hours but weekends it runs inbound from 6am-3pm but only stops at every third station. This may be confusing but keep track. If you're riding on a Saturday take the 3rd stop (the 9th stop M-F) which will be Deboce. Now the only reason I mention this is because there's a real nice cafe that serves some great beers on tap. Pliny the Younger is usual there (HA..!@#$ you Pooj). From there you have two choices. You can either get back on the N train going inbound to Embarcadero this time OR you can walk to McCallister and take the 5 inbound to Market. Now the reason you'd want to do this is because you can take the F train down Market to The Embarcadero. These are cool old cars which are fun. Either way you'll be at the Embarcadero. Here you have two, no three, wait four choices. Number one and my favorite is to walk the Embarcadero to the Hi Dive for a couple of cocktails. It's a nice little joint with good drinks and a nice view of the bay bridge. From here take the 8x bus to your hotel. Now keep in mind the 8x only runs on odd days but you're in luck. Every day is odd in SF. Number two is to stay on the F train up the Embarcadero. This is fine but a very crowded ride. This will take you to Fisherman's Wharf. Number three is to walk to the Ferry Building and so some shopping. If you do stop at the Wine Merchant for some wine. Good stuff with a very knowledgeable staff. From there you can take a cab to Fisherman's Wharf. The fourth option is to stay at the Hi Dive and !@#$ your hotel. Find a hot chick (you're not traveling with a girl are you??). Now regardless of what you do you better hope your hotel has late checkouts because you ain't getting there to the following afternoon. :devil:

Edited by Chef Jim

Do you really think I gave you the best way to get there? :w00t: Ok, here's what you do:

BART to Civic Center station then Muni to Montgomery Station. Take the outgoing 10 bus and get off at Brannan and 2nd. From there you'll want to walk to King St and pick up the N train. Now here's where it get's tricky. The N train runs M-F at regular hours but weekends it runs inbound from 6am-3pm but only stops at every third station. This may be confusing but keep track. If you're riding on a Saturday take the 3rd stop (the 9th stop M-F) which will be Deboce. Now the only reason I mention this is because there's a real nice cafe that serves some great beers on tap. Pliny the Younger is usual there (HA..!@#$ you Pooj). From there you have two choices. You can either get back on the N train going inbound to Embarcadero this time OR you can walk to McCallister and take the 5 inbound to Market. Now the reason you'd want to do this is because you can take the F train down Market to The Embarcadero. These are cool old cars which are fun. Either way you'll be at the Embarcadero. Here you have two, no three, wait four choices. Number one and my favorite is to walk the Embarcadero to the Hi Dive for a couple of cocktails. It's a nice little joint with good drinks and a nice view of the bay bridge. From here take the 8x bus to your hotel. Now keep in mind the 8x only runs on odd days but you're in luck. Every day is odd in SF. Number two is to stay on the F train up the Embarcadero. This is fine but a very crowded ride. This will take you to Fisherman's Wharf. Number three is to walk to the Ferry Building and so some shopping. If you do stop at the Wine Merchant for some wine. Good stuff with a very knowledgeable staff. From there you can take a cab to Fisherman's Wharf. The fourth option is to stay at the Hi Dive and !@#$ your hotel. Find a hot chick (you're not traveling with a girl are you??). Now regardless of what you do you better hope your hotel has late checkouts because you ain't getting there to the following afternoon. :devil:

Is it impossible to enjoy SF without being drunk?

After getting your bags, get on the red line tram. It goes clockwide in a circular loop and stops at the BART station. Take the escalator down a level to the station. DO not take the blue line. It goes to the rental car structure.

Oh it's possible. At least that's what I've heard.

How is this different than any other city you have been in since the age of 15 or so?

Headed to SFO in about an hour.

Save some money and stay at one of the many fine hotels in the tenderloin.

If you go down Market Street before 9 AM, you can see the store owners washing the urine off the sidewalk, watch the female bums strip to their long johns while getting dressed, or run over to the front of City Hall and watch the cops roust the bums for the day!

Visited San Fran 2 years ago and stayed at the Parc 55 Wyndham in Union Square. My wife and I took a shuttle from the airport (about a 30-45 min. ride), and it only cost us $15 per person. The shuttle van we took wasn't operated by any particular hotel, but was more like a taxi (and they were all over the place just outside the baggage claim). Was really convenient and cheap...IMO. I'd hate to have to drag my luggage onto a train, and then have to walk to my hotel. Funk that!!

Visited San Fran 2 years ago and stayed at the Parc 55 Wyndham in Union Square. My wife and I took a shuttle from the airport (about a 30-45 min. ride), and it only cost us $15 per person. The shuttle van we took wasn't operated by any particular hotel, but was more like a taxi (and they were all over the place just outside the baggage claim). Was really convenient and cheap...IMO. I'd hate to have to drag my luggage onto a train, and then have to walk to my hotel. Funk that!!

2005 we stayed @ the Embassy Suites in South San Fran... Took the BART to the game in Oakland. We caught a few cabs for trips north into the tourist parts of the city (warf, even the Bills Backer Bar: The NorthStar) Cabby's there were pretty cool... One was getting stoned with my brother and his friend. Ah, the California life... Oh my, LoL... Agreed to take us out of "his area." Whatever that meant? The year the Sox beat Houston in the World Series... I go all the way to SF... LoL

Made me think of the lines:

"It was raining hard in 'Frisco,

I needed one more fare to make my night...

...And me, I'm flying in my taxi, Taking tips, and getting stoned

I go flying so high, when I'm stoned."