Building a Sustainable Defense through Analytics

I'll preface this post by saying this article is two weeks old, but I thought it was enlightening enough to share. It's an interesting read about the way defenses have been built in the AFC West, and the different way SF, Seattle and the Rams are attempting to sustain their defensive success. I think we can argue the potential successes and pitfalls with all three models, and I'm sure only time will tell in the next few years who wins out there.

And while its not about the Bills, I think there's plenty of takeaways we can see about the Bills defense in the next 2-3 years.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/92769/nfl-econ-49ers-sustainability-rams-plan

PS - Its also from the ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando, which again only really shines more light on how HORRIBLE AFC East James Walker is.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article. It really makes a lot of sense to me. Throw your big $$ at difference makers and save your money every where else. It explains why the Bills let Levitre go and it explains why there are so many optimistic free agents still left on the market.

The Bills are obviously following this model. I like it.

Now put together a good draft.

Great article. It really makes a lot of sense to me. Throw your big $$ at difference makers and save your money every where else. It explains why the Bills let Levitre go and it explains why there are so many optimistic free agents still left on the market.

The Bills are obviously following this model. I like it.

Now put together a good draft.

What makes you say that?

Great article and post. A nice break from all the angst about free agency.

WHY HAVE WE NOT SIGNED FREE AGENTS??!! WE CAN'T BE DISTRACTED BY REASONABLE INFORMATIVE POSTS LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jeremy2020

Having watched as the Hawks built this defense and seeing what the Bills are doing, I can say without hesitation that this has not been the Bills MO for the past 4 years under Nix. The Hawks have no stop-gaps. They think long-term. Their two FA pick-ups on D- Avril and Bennett, are young, on short-term contracts and were signed to emphasize the Hawks Super Bowl opportunity coming into the 13/14 season. Other than that, they have a D focused on youth and speed, with a healthy mix of brute power (see: Bryant, Red).

There's a problem with this approach, as it relates to the Bills. The Bills "Analytics" department is a facade. It's a myth propagated by Brandon and the organizational higher-ups to shield the fans (and media) from the fact that they are unwilling to spend top-dollar on this team. By spreading the myth of analytics, or "Moneyball", they are convincing fans that they are taking a "calculated" approach to configuring their roster, and that spending money is not necessarily the sound avenue to take. In truth, if you were to go into the offices at One Bills Drive, and search for the "Analytics" department, you'd probably find an old storage closet with the placard "Analytics Department" on the door. Unfortunately, all you would find inside is a mop and bucket, a broom, and a pair of Zubaz pants once owned by Jeff Wright. The unfortunate truth is simple: nothing changes until the Bills have a new owner. NOTHING! Brandon may be the "new" CEO; but as Roger Daltrey once wailed, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!"

Walker is terrible. I feel cheated after reading that article. The AFC East blog reads like a 13 year old girl's diary "Blame game is pointless... ." Oh and did anyone notice how he did a "stock watch" and only listed the jets, pats and dolphins?

There's a problem with this approach, as it relates to the Bills. The Bills "Analytics" department is a facade. It's a myth propagated by Brandon and the organizational higher-ups to shield the fans (and media) from the fact that they are unwilling to spend top-dollar on this team. By spreading the myth of analytics, or "Moneyball", they are convincing fans that they are taking a "calculated" approach to configuring their roster, and that spending money is not necessarily the sound avenue to take. In truth, if you were to go into the offices at One Bills Drive, and search for the "Analytics" department, you'd probably find an old storage closet with the placard "Analytics Department" on the door. Unfortunately, all you would find inside is a mop and bucket, a broom, and a pair of Zubaz pants once owned by Jeff Wright. The unfortunate truth is simple: nothing changes until the Bills have a new owner. NOTHING! Brandon may be the "new" CEO; but as Roger Daltrey once wailed, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!"

How do you explain the Bills payroll being near the top of the league?

I can see why you say this, since the analytics approach has played itself out over such a long period of time.

/sarcasm

What makes you say that?

Well, letting Levitre, Fitzpatrick, Kelsay, Wilson, Barnett etc. go rather than over pay for their production, to me, is a sign that the Bills now even CARE about production. In the past, it seemed like they rewarded players with contracts just because they were here. But this off season has been a series of additions by subtraction that will allow this team to grow the right way (if they draft well). It'll be interesting to see what they do with Spiller, Wood and any other players worth locking up.

I know! I wish we employed the highest paid defensive player in history to prove this argument wrong.... wait...

The signing of Mark Anderson proves that the Bills are not following the philosophy detailed in this article. Anderson has had 2 decent years in his 8 year career, but the Bills still threw a bunch of money at him. Ironically, the signing stinks of Russ Brandon.

But, at the end of the day, this article really doesn't say anything we already don't know. Draft well so you will be able to sign your stars.

Edited by kas23