Building a Sustainable Defense through Analytics

But what exactly is the analytics thing?

Buzzword indeed.

I would say that NFL analytics has been around since the inception of the salary cap. Every NFL team has needed to be able to figure how to put together a team.....and future years teams.....while staying under the cap. How much money to justify paying top players, what players are "value for money", what players can be cut to improve the cap situation.....without being too detrimental to team play etc, etc.

Every team in the NFL has been doing "moneyball" type analytics for years......only now they have a name for it.

Mind you......caponomics worked well as a name for many years.

Analytics for some teams goes well beyond, analyizing say player strengths or weaknesses. Cost analysis, whatever.

One interesting use of the term, is when Ducks coach Chip Kelly, left for the Eagles. Although, stunned by Kelly's change of heart. The AD there said our program as built by C. Kelly, is plug and go. So while his right hand man took the promotion to HC, the Ducks may or may not see any slip in offensive production. Time will prove that out. Make no mistake the new Eagles coach has a different thought process when words like analytics are tossed about.

Another over used word? METRICS!

Edited by Best Player Available

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article seems to suggest that you pay for elite players. By most statistical measures, Andy Levitre is an elite player at his position. The Bills decided to go the middle class route, choosing to sign a guy for $4 million per year. That guy played for the Niners until very recently (through 2010), and they (Marathe et al.) decided he wasn't worth keeping.

Excellent piece, btw. Way better than the crap we get from the guy covering the AFC East now, or from his Buffalo-based predecessor, for that matter.

Wait, we actually signed a 2nd FA?

Okay.

So for the record kas, BPA, BillsVet and Dibs all think Brandon was lying when he mentioned that the Bills were going to establish an analytics department? I'm confused here.

It seems that some are suggesting that the Bills have been using analytics while others are suggesting that the Bills never have and never will.

Was Nix also lying when he said "You know, obviously, I'm old-school in more ways than one," Nix said, laughing. "It'll be something I'll have to get used to because I go a lot on feel and what I see."

Was Nix lying just to cover Brandon? This is kind of a crazy discussion so I'll leave it now.

I don't think he was lying.....perhaps(and only perhaps), he might have made the announcement for PR purposes(but I don't think he did).

The issue I was pointing out is that we......as the generally ignorant Bills fan.....have no idea what "establishing an analytics department" means. A lot of people have jumped to what I consider to be an illogical conclusion......that the Bills have not used analytics prior to the announcement.

It is obvious that what most people think to be "analytics" roughly equates to the "moneyball" type concept. The concept of caponomics shows that all teams have been using analytics in this regard for many years.

"Establishing an analytics department" likely means the expansion of what is already in existence......and hopefully means the use of analytics(or logical analysis) in a much wider spectrum in regards to all decisions. It also hopefully means there is a higher emphasis on following said analytic results.......rather than looking at them.....considering them.....and then going with one's original direction based upon tradition, emotion, hubris or any other emotion which can negatively influence a rational and logical decision.

Establishing a department means hiring someone or giving someone a extra title. They may hire some additional people, move people or just place people under multiple departments. Or may just hire consultants like they have done elsewhere in organization. it is just an internal organization change mostly.