Great article on the Bills

BILLS #1

You see the future huh? So let's just spend every dime we have in free agency because YOU don't like who's coming out in the draft. Guess what cheese ball picking eight you'd be picking from the same crop of QB's anyway. Oh but you're probably so smart you know the second tier of QB's will be better next year.

Lets get Johnny football next year! If he comes to the NFL

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bigfootsp...falo-bills.html

I don't think we need to Draft a Qb with the 8th pick or even our 2nd round pick. We have more pressing needs. Matt Scott could be a steal also

I don't disagree with the approach suggested, but prefer my mock to getting there :)

SOS. I can't wait for the draft.

same here. There should just be two threads on TBD that night. one for people freaking out (negatively), and the other for people freaking out (positively)

Edited by RyanC883

I don't think we need to Draft a Qb with the 8th pick or even our 2nd round pick. We have more pressing needs. Matt Scott could be a steal also

That's not an article.....that's a badly written blog.

Did you think it was "great" because you happened to agree with the base sentiment?

"Considering how many holes this team has it would be much wiser to neglect quarterback until the middle rounds (3 or so), and try to improve elsewhere."

:rolleyes:

Edited by Dibs

Lets get Johnny football next year! If he comes to the NFL

He's a great college QB, but imo opinion his game won't work in the pros. At 6'1" and 200 lbs he is going to be susceptible to getting hurt real bad. I think at best he could have a Jake Plummer type career, but I don't think he'll even get there.

Matt Scott is really under developed even at the college level and would need the tutelage of a poised veteran to in front of him to teach him the ropes. I do however agree with you that we have more pressing needs and could get a QB in the mid rounds (3-5) of the draft.

The amount of holes this teams has and overall lack of depth is what annoys me the most with their lack of activity in free agency. Being active in free agency doesn't always mean breaking the bank, there were plenty of players available that signed reasonable deals who could have helped the Bills

The fact that this team has so many holes and lacks depth is a clear indication of how bad a job Nix and his staff have done

+ 1

The amount of holes this teams has and overall lack of depth is what annoys me the most with their lack of activity in free agency. Being active in free agency doesn't always mean breaking the bank, there were plenty of players available that signed reasonable deals who could have helped the Bills

The fact that this team has so many holes and lacks depth is a clear indication of how bad a job Nix and his staff have done

Most of the FA in the first few days have signed either for "BIG" bucks or signed shorter deals with teams that will be competing for the lombardi trophy. Very few good FAs have signed with the likes of Browns, Raiders, Bills, Jax, KC etc without breaking the bank.

There is not much teams like the Bills can do about it. Simple case: I am sure the Bills would have signed Welker to a 2 year 12 M dollar contract.....That is 6M for your 2nd WR.....Will that happen or likely to happen...No.

The same goes for Talib...He signed a 1 year deal with the Patriots...

I am continually amazed at how short memories are on this board. Seems like after the Lombardi is awarded people magically forget what prevents this franchise from becoming even average. Sure, the defense was completely putrid in 2012. Yet it's the QB play most responsible for Buffalo remaining anchored at the division basement. How many game-ending turnovers does Buffalo's QB have to make before we remember why they are 16-32 in their past 3 seasons?

I don't agree with you often but this is dead on. Despite the horrible defense, the Bills have been in position to win a multitude of times only to see their QB fail when it really counts. This needs to change.

Good article. This team can only be built via the draft as top FAs aren't going anywhere near this train wreck for a few years, unless we blow the cap to get them (Mario). Drafted players are stuck with the franchise for 4 or 5 years, when they are free to actually enjoy being in the NFL and make a lot of money. See Andy Levitre. We need lots and lots of draft picks. Bills are like a minor league baseball team. They draft and develop talent for the big leagues while hoping to catch fire for maybe one season and do something before the bigs "call up" their best players at the end of their rookie contracts. sucks, but it is largely true. Stevie was a fool to sign his second contract with the Bills, now his career will amount to "nothing" and he will be forgotten just like many players before him who stuck with a fundamentally mediocre organization. I love 'em, but they suck.

Edited by 8and8Forever

I think the overall point is that the Bills shouldn't force taking a QB just because they need one. If Smith isn't there they should trade back if possible or wait until the second or third. This team isn't going to make the playoffs regardless who is at QB, I'd rather them get the best value then force themselves to pick an unworthy QB.

I'll advocate taking a QB high this year - IF Buffalo believes he is their Franchise QB of the future; that is to say, IF they are sold on him being capable of taking a team all the way. The last thing we need is for Buffalo to take a QB with the 1st or 2nd round pick only because they NEED a QB, not because they really like him, and then be in a situation next year where we CAN draft a really GOOD QB, and we don't want to, because it'll make our pick this year look bad. Don't think an NFL team would make decisions like that? Fitzpatrick and the whole debacle that was is a good example of Buffalo's decision makers not being willing to admit their mistakes and they let a whole - if not 2 - seasons suffer for it.

Personally, I like a lot of the QB's in this draft. I think Barkley has what it takes to be a top 12 QB in the NFL, in the right system. I think guys like Manuel, Scott, and Smith are capable of being really big play-makers, and I think guys like Nassib and Wilson could be good starters too. Obviously not all of these guys will pan out. Yet, I'm not an expert. The Bills should either get their guy, or not waste a pick on what will end up being a redundancy next year. We just don't have enough picks, to begin with, and secondly, there is way too much talent at other positions in this draft to pass up on if the QB talent doesn't stand out.

All that being said - I think this is a deep draft, and IF Marrone and Nix make the very best of it, I could see us getting a Franchise QB, an excellent WR to pair with Stevie, a good Safety, and a decent ILB. OR, we could get a pro-bowl OLB, a starting WR, a QB with potential, and so on - point being, if they play their cards right, we could walk away from this draft with 3 or 4 starters... unfortunately, we have more than 3 or 4 holes. So, we're either going to be counting on a LOT of young guys this year, and really letting the cream rise, or we'll be doing some FA spending soon.

Matt Scott is really under developed even at the college level and would need the tutelage of a poised veteran to in front of him to teach him the ropes. I do however agree with you that we have more pressing needs and could get a QB in the mid rounds (3-5) of the draft.

I love Matt Scott. He has a strong arm, he's mobile and accurate. He could be the next Russell Wilson. Last season he was around 195 pounds but finished this year at 212. So I don't think his weight will be an issue. I really hope the Bills get him. I'm pretty sure he will be moving up the draft boards.

How many time does it have to be said over and over again? There is no QB resolution for the Bills in this class of QBs.

+1.

The draft won't save 'em this year, and no FAs are coming to a team with crumbling facilities, a college coaching staff and a near-death owner. 4 -12 in 2013. HIt bottom as a franchise this year. Fans walk away in droves. Hope is lost.

Yes. This is probably what they will do. Won't sell tickets, but nothing will this year. So continue to rebuild (again).

I think the overall point is that the Bills shouldn't force taking a QB just because they need one. If Smith isn't there they should trade back if possible or wait until the second or third. This team isn't going to make the playoffs regardless who is at QB, I'd rather them get the best value then force themselves to pick an unworthy QB.

+ 1

And we can thank ol' Buddy Nix for that. What a mess.

How many time does it have to be said over and over again? There is no QB resolution for the Bills in this class of QBs.

Said by who? You? :huh:

Look this may not be the best QB class on paper...But just about every "expert" I've read/or heard from about this Draft class has "their QB" that they really like...And it may be just one guy for each talking head, but that guy seems to be a different one across the board...

The majority of Scouts like Geno best...Charles Davis and Mooch love Matt Barkley...Russ Lande and Greg Cossell think Nassib is a Franchise caliber QB...Many feel EJ Manuel and Matt Scott have tons of potential...etc...etc...

So anyway...I think the statement that there is no QB solution in this Draft is a bit...well...ridiculous...Though I do think the chances of Buddy Nix picking the right guy are slim...But that has nothing to do with the talent, or lack thereof, at the QB position in this Draft... B-)

So there are PLENTY of QB possibilities for the Bills in this Draft, and chances are at least one of these QB's, probably two, will become decent NFL starters in time...