2013 Mock Draft - 1st Round

H2o

1. Kansas City Chiefs - Luke Joeckel / OT / Texas A&M - Widely regarded as the best OT prospect in this draft by many, this will come as no surprise. Joeckel is a lock to start for the Chiefs on day one, the question is on which side? I say that he will be the new blindside protector for Alex Smith and Branden Albert will be moved to RT. This works out well for both Smith and Jamaal Charles.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Geno Smith / QB / WVU - Despite a ringing "endorsement" of Blaine Gabbert, Jacksonville sent everyone they employed to Geno's Pro Day at WVU and then met with him there also. Gabbert is not the answer and they are just trying to dance around that fact until they bring someone else in, like Geno Smith with the #2 pick.

3. Oakland Raiders - Dee Milliner / CB / Alabama - This is where it begins to get a bit tricky. Oakland has so many holes at so many places they could basically take anyone here and it would make sense. They need someone to match up with Malcolm Floyd, Demaryius Thomas, and Dwayne Bowe twice a year. Their secondary is pretty horrendous right now. I think they take the best CB in this year's draft.

4. Philadelphia Eagles - Sharrif Floyd / DT / Florida - Floyd has been heralded as possibly being the best player in the entire draft. The Eagles are flipping to a 3-4 defense and Floyd looks to be a do everything DE that will remind many of a young Richard Seymour. They are kind of disappointed for not being able to get Milliner here, but Floyd is a nice consolation.

5. Detroit Lions - Eric Fisher / OT / Central Michigan - They lost one OT in FA and another to retirement. Unless they want to have Stafford land on IR they will draft one of the top tier LT's on the board. Lane Johnson is a possibility here, as well as one of the top pass rushers available, but I see them taking the Michigan raised Fisher to keep Stafford upright in the pocket.

6. Cleveland Browns - Jarvis Jones / LB / Georgia - You really think that Cleveland will draft another OLB after just getting Kruger and Groves? Yes I do. Horton is going to put together a ferocious, attacking defense to make QB's loathe playing the Browns for the foreseeable future. The pick will either be Dion Jordan or Jarvis Jones and, imo, Jones is definitely the better prospect.

7. Arizona Cardinals - Matt Barkley / QB / USC - Arians love of Barkley hasn't been hidden very well and they will scoop him up @ #7 faster than a local law enforcement employee grabs a fresh box of Krispy Kreme.

8. Buffalo Bills - Cordarrelle Patterson / WR / Tennessee - Lord knows Stevie needs some help and I think he will get atleast two, if not three, potential cadidates from this draft. Patterson is the best WR in this draft and should be an immediate impact player, depending on who is getting him the football, along the lines of AJ Green. They are almost identical in size and possess the same traits on the field. With the top two QB's off the board Buffalo will make this pick to improve the offense at another skill position.

9. New York Jets - Ezekiel Ansah / DE / BYU - How old is this guy anyway? I can't find a website that shows his dob. The Jets draft a 30 year old DE/OLB from BYU to cause problems for AFC East QB's for the next 4 years and then he will retire at the the age of 34 when someone finally produces a birth certificate from the state of Hawaii. Kidding, just kidding. :) Ansah is undoubtedly a gifted athlete and the Jets will pounce @ #9. They could select Dion Jordan, but I think Rex will shy away from the more slender of the two prospects. Ansah has the same great length and athletecism, only he's about 30lbs heavier.

10. Tennessee Titans - Bjoern Werner / DE / Florida St. - The Titans need more help along the defensive line from guys who can get after the QB. They didn't expect to see him on the board here and move quickly to take him off of it.

11. San Diego Chargers - Lane Johnson / OT / Oklahoma - Gaither will be moved back to RT and Lane Johnson will now protect Phillip Rivers' blindside. You don't know what you will get from Gaither health wise and the Chargers look to the future here by taking the top LT prospect on the board.

12. Miami Dolphins - Desmond Trufant / CB / Washington - The Dolphins went on a gigantic spending spree in FA and have only a few holes left to fill via the draft. CB is one of those holes and it is a toss up between Xavier Rhodes and Desmond Trufant as to who is the 2nd best CB in this draft. I just feel that Trufant is a little more fluid on the field and that the Dolphins will take him over Rhodes here.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Xavier Rhodes / CB / Florida St. - Tampa's secondary was outright awful this past season. They signed Goldson in FA to team up with Mark Barron @ S, but are still in need of a couple of CB's. They were trying to get Revis, but won't surrender this pick right here for him. Something may still possibly be worked out between the two teams, but it is uncertain at this time. Rhodes will be a day 1 starter and should be an upgrade over what their fans saw on the field last year.

14. Carolina Panthers - Star Lotulelei / DT / Utah - Regarded as one of the top players in the draft, but his fall is due to medical concerns over his heart condition. The Panthers need all kinds of help along that defensive front and Star will step right in and should be able to live up to his first name if healthy.

15. New Orleans Saints - Kenny Vaccaro / S / Texas - Vaccaro is another from along the lines of Earl Thomas a couple years back in Safeties from Texas. He will be an immediate upgrade over what they have in Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins. Really has the chance to be a special player in this league.

16. St. Louis Rams - Dion Jordan / LB / Oregon - This can be seen as a bit of a fall for Jordan, but he really doesn't have the size of the pass rushers who went before him at the moment. He will probably bulk up a bit after getting past the shoulder surgery. He is athletically gifted enough that Jeff Fisher believes he can use him on the football field @ OLB. Good choice by the Rams.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Demontre Moore / DE / Texas A&M - The Steelers are a team in need of someone to fill James Harrison's spot and apparently there is not much confidence in Jason Worilds to step into that role. Moore is explosive off the edge and has good length, but could use about another 10-15lbs of muscle added to his 6'4" frame and some coaching on technique. If anyone can coach a defensive player it is Dick LeBeau, the wieght room work will be on him.

18. Dallas Cowboys - Chance Warmack / OG / Alabama - Argueably one of the best players in the entire draft, fills an immediate need for the Cowboys on their OL, and Jerry Jones gets him @ pick #18? He will surely be patting himself on the back after this one.

19. New York Giants - D.J. Fluker / OT / Alabama - The Giants need help at the RT spot. They re-signed Beatty for the LT position to sure that up and now take Fluker to do the same for the right side. Needs to be coached up a bit on his pass protection technique, but is an absolute mauler in the run game.

20. Chicago Bears - Johnathan Cooper / OG / UNC - Chicago's whole OL could use a makeover. They already signed Jermon Bushrod from the Saints and now they take the best interior OL'man on the board. Jay Cutler shakes the GM's hand and says "Thank you".

21. Cincinnatti Bengals - Barkevious Mingo / LB / LSU - They let go of Rey Maualuga and Manny Lawson signed with us in FA. Mingo will step right into the starting lineup and Marvin Lewis will coach him on the finer points of the game on defense. Great value pick for the Bengals here.

22. Washington Redskins - Matt Elam / S / Florida - The weakest position on the Redskins' defense is Safety. They need a FS and a SS. Elam is a playmaker, big time hitter, and fills a position of need. He will start the process of solidifying that defensive backfield.

23. Minnesota Vikings - Sheldon Richardson / DT / Missouri - Sheldon Richardson will tell you he is the best DT in this draft and should be considered for the #1 overall pick. You have to love his confidence and the Vikings will love having him beside Kevin Williams on the interior of their DL. He is too good of a player to pass up @ this point in the draft.

24. Indianapolis Colts - Johnathan Jenkins / DT / Georgia - The Colts need a mainstay @ NT for their 3-4 defense and Johnathan Jenkins is a mamouth man in the middle @ 6'3", 360lbs. There aren't too many people that can honestly say they have pushed this guy around. He will consistently take up two blockers on the interior of that DL making an opportunity for others to make plays on defense.

25. Seattle Seahawks - Menelik Watson / OT / Florida St. - The Seahawks are going to have an incredible team next year if everyone gets together on the same page and that defense gels. One place that they do need an upgrade though is at RT. Most of the times that Wilson was running for his life it was due to the fact that Breno Giacomini couldn't block anyone. Watson is a gifted player with quick feet and athletecism that either you have or you don't. He is as effective as they come in the run game. He will be an upgrade.

26. Green Bay Packers - Eddie Lacy / RB / Alabama - After missing out in the Steven Jackson sweepstakes the Packers make a move to draft their RB of the future. Lacy has size, power, good feet, and enough speed to be a really good RB in the NFL. He reminds me a lot of Marshawn Lynch. Green Bay hopes he plays on the field like him as well.

27. Houston Texans - Tayvon Austin / WR / WVU - The Texans are still in search of a WR to split out across from Andre Johnson. Austin is the most dynamic playmaker in this year's draft. A Desean Jackson type of player, only hopefully without the antics.

28. Denver Broncos - Alex Okafor / DE / Texas - This pick would not be made had it not been for the Dumervil fiasco, but the Broncos still get and excellent young talent in Okafor. The #11 pick in this draft, Lane Johnson / OT / Oklahoma, said he was the best pass rusher he's ever faced.

29. New England Patriots - Johnathan Hankins / DT / Ohio St. - With the ability to play DT in the four man fronts and DE/NT in the 3-4 Hankins fills a couple of needs for the Pats*. He's a good player and will fit right in along that defensive front, likely starting week 1.

30. Atlanta Falcons - Tyler Eifert / TE / Notre Dame - The rich get richer. After having the greatest TE of all time to throw passes to for the last few years, now Matt Ryan will have a young, elite prospect @ TE who will get to learn the game behind the greatest of all time and then come into his own when Tony rides off into the sunset.

31. San Francisco 49ers - Jonathan Cyprien / S / Florida International - They lost Goldson in FA and I know I'm not the only one who was laughing at Whitner while he was getting toasted in the Super Bowl by Anquan Boldin. Well, the 49ers didn't find it as amusing as the rest of us and are drafting to make amends.

32. Baltimore Ravens - Alec Ogeltree / LB / Georgia - Well, one criminal just retired and now they will replace him with another. Kidding, just kidding. :) Ray Lewis was the greatest LB I have ever had the privlige to watch play football. Ellerbe got his ring, his money, and took his talents to South Beach. That leaves a gaping hole in the middle of that defense. Ogeltree will be a day 1 starter and has the looks of being a good ILB in the NFL. He is tough against the run and solid in pass coverage. They will make sure he walks the straight and narrow in Baltimore. Good player, good fit, and fills a need for the Ravens' defense.

Edited by H2o

You say:

8. Buffalo Bills - Cordarrelle Patterson / WR / Tennessee - Lord knows Stevie needs some help and I think he will get atleast two, if not three, potential cadidates from this draft. Patterson is the best WR in this draft and should be an immediate impact player, depending on who is getting him the football, along the lines of AJ Green. They are almost identical in size and possess the same traits on the field. With the top two QB's off the board Buffalo will make this pick to improve the offense at another skill position.

Along the lines of AJ Green? Well yes, except that AJ Green caught 166 passes for 2600+ yards and 23 TDs over 3 seasons in the SEC whereas Patterson caught 46 passes for 778 yards and 5 TDs in one season.

Patterson is much more of a projection (and bigger risk) than AJ Green was.

I am not saying that Patterson might not be a good choice, but he has only 1 season of production at the major college level. AJ Green was a surer bet when he came out than Patterson.

You say:

Along the lines of AJ Green? Well yes, except that AJ Green caught 166 passes for 2600+ yards and 23 TDs over 3 seasons in the SEC whereas Patterson caught 46 passes for 778 yards and 5 TDs in one season.

Patterson is much more of a projection (and bigger risk) than AJ Green was.

I am not saying that Patterson might not be a good choice, but he has only 1 season of production at the major college level. AJ Green was a surer bet when he came out than Patterson.

You can find his JUCO stats here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordarrelle_Patterson#JUCO_statistics

Let's not forget that Cam Newton only had 1 year of Division I production as well. I compare the two (Green and Patterson) because of size, physical attributes, and similar ability if you watch them both on the field.

You can find his JUCO stats here: http://en.wikipedia....JUCO_statistics

Let's not forget that Cam Newton only had 1 year of Division I production as well. I compare the two (Green and Patterson) because of size, physical attributes, and similar ability if you watch them both on the field.

I am not saying that Patterson might not be great and I don't think that there is any debate that he is an outstanding athlete. All that I am saying is that he is a considerably riskier pick than AJ Green was. Without even looking, I am sure that his JUCO stats are incredible, but I am also certain that most WRs that will go in round 2 or 3 would put up outstanding stats against JUCO competition.

That description of Patterson is a joke. He is not even close to what AJ Green was coming out of college. Patterson would be a major risk anywhere in the first.

That draft would be a worst case scenario for the Bills. Everybody we want, and everybody other teams would trade up for, are gone.

I appreciate the time and effort it must have taken to put this together.

One thing that jumped out at me right away:

You have Kenny Vaccarro getting picked before Dion Jordan, Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper, and Barkevious Mingo...I would be absoluty flabbergasted if that happens.

In truth, I'll be shocked if any of Jordan, Warmack or Mingo get out of the top 10 picks. Jordan is one of the the top 3 defensive prospects in the draft...I doubt heavily the Jets would pass on him at 9th overall if he slid that far. Warmack is a top 10 pick in any year...Mingo could slide a bit, but probably no further than Miami.

I also think that Sharrif Floyd will be the first defensive player off the board, either to Jacksonville or Oakland.

As for the Bills, I can't see the Patterson pick happening. I think it's either a QB or an impact defender. There's depth in the WR class to be had in the 3rd round with guys like Ryan Swope and Steadman Bailey, and Patterson is something of a one-year wonder.

Just my thoughts...

aj green is quite different than CP. AJ runs a unreal route tree and has some unreal hands. he just plucks the ball out of the air. he is polished as it comes. paterson is very raw and has really ill talent but he is really raw in his routes and i dont think he has close to the hands that aj has.

Not an aweful pick, I think I like your mock more then many overall. If Al Davis was alive Patterson would be going to Oakland. If Milliner is there for us and we draft him I would be happier with him then Patterson. FA CB's production cannot be matched to a top shelf rookie, where as a FA WR can more easily match a top shelf WR to contribute as much. Or, look at it that we have two good RB, we have ? at QB, and we will run the ball as much as pass. When we pass the ball it is going to be as likely to go to any one of 3 others as it will be a new WR. A new CB will get more action and be more important... though, if Dion Jordan is there I would much rather have him. I am back and forth on Jarvis Jones.

And I just wonder if we'd trade back up to the first. If we trade back in to the first I want it for only one thing: TE.

Actually, it is my "work product" being that I am at work on a Sunday, trying to kill some time. :lol: All my own thoughts my friend. :thumbsup:

Its good work. Only thing jumps out as improbable to me is jones going that high with his health problem

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Impressive work, aqueous one!

Like other posters, I 2 am not sold on his "corduroy splatterskin" as an immediate starter. he's big, he's got wheels, and it could take him longer than it did moulds and stevie to crack the lineup(they needed 3 yrs ea.).

In the 1st round it's common to seek more immediate gratification than that, and there are many other options that would seem more likely to achieve that, e.g. the more polished LB and OL players. (not that we have any needs at LB or OL) ... L-OL :flirt:

~AS

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I really have no idea if this is how it will go, just like every one of the other people who make mocks. I tried to rationalize everything and make sense of it all, but if you hit on 4 or 5 out of 10 selections you are doing well great. There are still some Pro Days left, individual workouts, and FA's left to be signed so it's all still hard to predict. Just like I thought the Bengals were letting Maualuga continue his career elsewhere, but he just re-signed for 2 years. I respect all of your opinions and input on this. About Patterson, I truly feel both QB's that are most talked about will be gone like I posted in this mock. Signing Terrell Owens was one of the best things that the Bills could have done a few years back. I truly believe that he helped Stevie with all of the nuances of the game. I believe that Stevie could take Patterson under his wing and this could be special because of the God given ability he already possesses. Just a thought. We could go any direction and it would be acceptable for the most part because we need a lot of upgrades. The main thing is we need to hit on our draft picks and that's all I hope for in the end. :thumbsup: