Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of this move at all but I'll have to accept it. I'm just really hoping they still take a QB early.

why can't you just give the guy a chance. It might work out. No pressure in reaching for a guy in the first round that will not be of Kolbs caliber. This could even set up a move for our guy next year. Why waste a pick on a guy that might not be good enough. The QB crop next year is stacked.

From a pure Draft grade standpoint there will almost certainly be higher graded players than the QB's available at #8...Especially if Geno is gone...If the Bills are leveraging to be able to go elsewhere...away from QB at #8...There can be an argument made no question...

I think the mention of LT makes sense because there is a possibility that a truly elite prospect LT will be available at #8 overall...Of all the possible targets at #8 I think Lane Johnson makes the most sense, in this Draft, if the Bills don't go QB...It's not that the Bills don't have bigger needs at LB, QB, and WR...They do...But in Lane Johnson (or Fisher if he's still there) the Bills can actually improve the O-Line, even though they lost Levitre...Plus they would have quite a nice pair of young bookend OT's for years to come...And like you said, this is the year for a pass if it goes down that way... B-)

The other consideration is a round 1 qb this year almost certainly precludes you from taking a round 1 qb next year. Could be painful if a juicier prospect is there when we draft round 1 2014

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Glad to see you've finally come to agree with me about Aaron Murray :D

Not yet, he'll be a third rounder next year anyway :nana:

People need to CHILL on this one....it's a 2 year deal with incentives making up a lot of the upside.

This is not the type of contract that you give to someone that you feel will be "The Answer". There have been a few posts saying that it was a flexibility move....and they could not be more correct.

We are absolutely drafting another QB and the "open competition" will have 4 QBs in camp

Can see Kolb in a starter role to open the season and then having the rookie take the helm midway...and if it doesnt work.....we draft franchise guy 2014.

NOBODY is reading the tea leaves here and figuring our 2013 campaign to be a playoff season....so why NOT use this year to set up to solve the QB issue ....If not then next year for certain.

Those that are reacting as if we just went all-in to make Kolb our future may be overreacting. He's going to be the starter this season and 100% our backup next year IMHO.

+1

I don't understand why this bothers people. It gives us a qb better than Tarvaris Jackson who can play for awhile until a rookie is ready. Better than being 1 injury away from Brad Smith playing quarterback for us lol

Done. This organization is a joke.

Perhaps deffer from that thought until we see the final details of the contract. It could be that he is being paid as a backup with incentives for him if he ends up starting.

Remember TJax's deal? Initially everyone thought it was a 1 year 4.5m contract.

It turned out to be a 1 year 2.25m contract......with the following escalators....

• 50% Snaps: $500,000
  • 60% Snaps: $750,000
  • 65% Snaps: $1 million

I don't understand why this bothers people. It gives us a qb better than Tarvaris Jackson who can play for awhile until a rookie is ready. Better than being 1 injury away from Brad Smith playing quarterback for us lol

Why is it better? So they can win a few games with Kolb but still come nowhere close to the playoffs? That isn't better than finally bottoming out and getting a shot at the No. 1 overall pick and someone like Bridgewater or Clowney. This signing is pointless and it might prove detrimental toward building a good future. The Bills are seemingly always built to rack up 5-7 wins per year - bad, but not bad enough - and this signing is indicative of that notion.

2 years/$13 mil, eh? They sure like setting money on fire at OBD. At least it wasn't a 5 year, 60 mil deal. Nobody knows how he will do here. My guess is not much better than the last bunch of garbage to find jobs here. He hasn't made it through a full season. Seems like a cheaper, slightly worse, more injury prone version of Fitz. I don't even want a QB in this draft. I can make an educated guess that they will have a top 5 pick in 2014. That's where the franchise type QB's will be located. Throw him out there until he breaks something and then let TJack have the rest of the starts. Solid plan.

I actually feel pretty good about this signing after reading up on Kolb's metrics. He is definitely an upgrade for this team. Arizona has had one of the, if not, the worst offensive lines in the league. Kolb took plenty of hits & sacks playing behind that atrocious line. The Bills offensive line is leaps and bounds better then what he is used to. The Bills also have the best duo of RB's in the NFL; Kolb received ZERO help from his RB's in Arizona. Knowing that you have a couple of great backs behind you who can get first downs will really take the pressure off a QB.

This signing also really gives us some flexibility in the draft. It's pretty obvious NFL GM's are not too thrilled with this year's QB class. Nix & Whaley realized this and did not want a gun to their heads to pick a QB at 8 when they get on the clock. This team can now go after the best player available at 8 instead of having to pick a QB. Maybe Lane Johnson to bookend Cordy Glenn. Or maybe someone like Dion Jordan to add that critical edge rusher on defense. They can also consider a trade down to pick up extra picks.

Maybe they really like Nassib but know that he is not the 8th best player in the draft. This move allows them to go BPA in the 1st and then be able to pick up Nassib in the 2nd (IF Marrone thinks he is a NFL QB)

The way I see it, this team should not stop bringing in QB's until they have someone under contract for 7+ years. Let Jackson, Kolb, and the rookie battle it out in TC and let the winner see what they can do this season. They should draft a QB every single draft uintil one is found IMO

Edited by ShhitGoose

Funny how it wasn't too long ago people were all for throwing picks at the Eagles to get this guy, now they barely want to bring him in for a look as a FA.....

And yet there are still also some that would rather use picks to try and get Flynn from the Seahawks, and some had even suggested Foles from the Eagles.

As the saying goes, "that was then, this is now". I "get it" that AZ's OL is poor and the guy took a beating, but there's always the question how much of that is the fault of the OL, and how much is the QB missing the read, calling the wrong protections, not having a quick release, not being able to extend the play by having that instinct to move around in the pocket or roll out, and not tossing the ball away at need. Then there's his concussion and injury history - I'll give him a pass from the "injury prone" label but other QB do take some pretty nasty injuries and stay in the game (Romo, Fitz, TJax).

If he hadn't spent 2 years playing mediocre football in AZ, I'm sure folks would still be slavering over him. Maybe it's not his fault, but maybe (some of it) is.

I don't hate the move, but I don't see him as an automatic upgrade to TJax let alone Fitz.

I'll be interested when we learn how much of that max $13 million is playing time and performance incentives, and how much is signing bonus and salary.

2 years/$13 mil, eh? They sure like setting money on fire at OBD.

Chillax, Ghost, we don't know how much of that stuff is salary/bonus and how much is incentives. I'm guessing $0.5-1 million signing bonus, $2 million salary, $3 million incentives this year,

$0.5 roster bonus/workout, $3 million salary, $3.5 million incentives next year. or something like that.

Fitz signed with Tennessee too soon.

Why do you say that?

This move is purely about flexibility. It wasn't big money and it wasn't long term. It's incentive laden to say the least. I like the option of not reaching for Matt Barkley in the first round if Geno Smith is off the board.

Have you seen the terms then? Link or it didn't happen

why this guy makes me think of Jeff George I dunno..... either way he's likely never been called noodle arm. Every one knew TJ may as well have been Curtis Painter. I was BTW ok taking that path too if it meant being competitive again.

Everyone who follows football knew no such thing. Curtis Painter? 2 years of dressing? 6 TD, 11 INTs in 8 games, record of 0-8?

Try this experiment: go to a sports bar in Seattle and make this pronouncement. Tell us what happens then.