Bills sign Manny Lawson

BRAWNDO

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think either of those guys are penciled in as starters. They will both play but if the team loves Jones or someone else, even another FA LB, they will jump at him. We need about three new LBs and just got one. He's a role player but a needed and decent one. Pettine likes to play a lot of different guys.

Great first step

Wasn't this guy a back-up last year? If so, why would the Bills sign a 29 year old back-up to a 4-yr agreement?

To make you upset.

Obviously the length of the deal is irrelevant.

Edited by Bangarang

OK I'm officially confused. Is this guy a cover LB or not? Tim Graham says no:

Lawson played in the 4-3 the past two seasons with Cincinnati, but his best fit is as a 3-4 strong-side linebacker. He filled that role in San Francisco for three years, from 2007 to 2010. Lawson is not a coverage guy, which is why he played only a third of the snaps last season for the Bengals. They played a lot of nickel defense, and he came off the field.

This guy was signed b/c 1) Pettine likes him b/c he's a 3-4 guy but can do 4-3, if needed; 2) he is 100% undervalued and comes w/ a light contract and 3) he's the kind of player the analytics department is going to keep on signing b/c he rarely makes mistakes on the field. Be prepared for more signings like this.

From what I know, and have read, he seems to be very good at covering TEs and not so much at covering WRs in the slot. Plus, he seemed to have a very good rep for coverage at SF and didnt fare as well in a different defense at CIN. A lot of people seem to think he has been misused a lot. I think he's the kind of guy that Pettine likes, but will see only a little more than half the plays (depending on who else they sign and draft of course). He may also take the spot that Bryan Scott held in the nickle and dime defenses.

my impression was he was suitable, but not GREAT. plays better forward than backwards in space. not a big liability, but i was surprised by the ringing endorsements early in the thread and assumed i hadnt watched enough of him. i had always heard run stopper around his name more than coverage. never that he was a liability in coverage either though.

Edited by NoSaint

Does this mean the Bills now have a professional LB on the roster?

My god. I had the exact same words in my head and figured I'd just scroll through to see what every one else thought. The have a professional linebacker. Now bring in Dansby for a look.