Boldin traded to 49ers

BILLS #1

So what you're telling me is that Percy Harvin, who can't stay healthy and on the field, is worth a first round pick swap but Boldin, who was a HUGE part of the Raven's SB run and victory is only worth a 6th. That doesn't seem odd to anyone?

That is not at all the issue. The issue is getting nothing for him, or getting a #6 pick for him.

Not to mention that Boldin is on the downside and Harvin hasn't reached his prime.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But they didn't want to pay him 6 million a year, and have two WRs in line to play. They were going to cut him. What do you think was the wise move? Paying him 6 million this year to be a #3 WR? Cutting him and getting nothing for it? What was dumb about it? I can understand if you think he was worth paying 6 mil. But they are cash strapped.

I think they will be just fine. Ray Rice is the offense. With Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones there, they will be very competitive.

The Flacco contract definitely will hurt them. However, I think they were just in a tough position as Flacco was not going to settle for less, however, franchising him may have been a better option. That way when they likely don't win the super bowl this year and his stats are nowhere near truly elite QBs, they would be able to sign him for less. If they did that, they would not have so much long term money locked up in him and would be able to keep more of the team intact (like Boldin). I also find it hard to believe another team wouldn't be willing to give up more than a 6th round pick for Boldin. The guy is an absolute animal, though he is a bit old. Torrey Smith is a great deep threat but Jacoby Jones is nothing special. They already are losing a huge emotional leader in Ray Lewis and they may be losing Ed Reed as well as either Kruger or Ellerbe. These things will hurt them and it's all a result of overpaying Flacco. They should have handled Flacco differently and then would have been able to keep more of the essential players around. They will not be as good. I'm not saying they will be slouches, but they will not be what they were.

The Flacco contract definitely will hurt them. However, I think they were just in a tough position as Flacco was not going to settle for less, however, franchising him may have been a better option. That way when they likely don't win the super bowl this year and his stats are nowhere near truly elite QBs, they would be able to sign him for less. If they did that, they would not have so much long term money locked up in him and would be able to keep more of the team intact (like Boldin). I also find it hard to believe another team wouldn't be willing to give up more than a 6th round pick for Boldin. The guy is an absolute animal, though he is a bit old. Torrey Smith is a great deep threat but Jacoby Jones is nothing special. They already are losing a huge emotional leader in Ray Lewis and they may be losing Ed Reed as well as either Kruger or Ellerbe. These things will hurt them and it's all a result of overpaying Flacco. They should have handled Flacco differently and then would have been able to keep more of the essential players around. They will not be as good. I'm not saying they will be slouches, but they will not be what they were.

I agree with almost all of that, but that wasn't the choice they were given today. The Flacco contract was already done. You said the Boldin trade was a bad move.

For a sixth round pick. the Bills should of moved on him!

Initial reaction is always "wow thats cheap, we should have traded for him" because that was such a great deal for the 49ers to get him for only a 6th round pick. However, like several people have already said, this was most likely a situation where Boldin wanted to go to a real contender for this next season and had little to no interest in a rebuilding team like the Bills at his stage in his career. Yes, I would have loved to have gotten him, especially at that price, but at the same time the reality is that I would be willing to bet it wasn't even possible.

Niners got a really good player for their young QB out there as he will likely be a significant upgrade over what they had in Moss last year.

The flacco signing cleared 10m worth of salary cap this year when compared to the tag, which would 100% have his full pay hit the cap this year.

Dear God...so, the 49ers, who already had the talent to be a Superbowl team, get Boldin for a 6th round pick and STILL have 14 PICKS! The Ravens are losing a lot of players to free agency, while the niners are looking strong with young talent. I'm glad we don't have to play them this year.

For a sixth round pick. the Bills should of moved on him!

This wouldnt have happened....this was a brotherly love discount where he was willing to accept a trade to a competitive team.

Since Baltimore plays them next year during the regular season there was no way in hell they would trade him to Buffalo and come back to beat them. He was only going to a team that they were not facing next season.

The flacco signing cleared 10m worth of salary cap this year when compared to the tag, which would 100% have his full pay hit the cap this year.

As I said it was a tough situation for the Ravens overall. Flacco thinks he deserves Tom Brady/Peyton Manning money which is just ridiculous. He wasn't going to accept less than he got and of course the Ravens couldn't let him hit the market. Should have franchised him and then tried to use the threat of injury in 2013 in order to get him to consider dropping his asking price. Then the team should have pointed out to the press that if he gets top dollar, the team can't resign other big pieces making Flacco look like a selfish guy, thus winning the PR battle. Bottom line, they vastly overpaid for Flacco and it is clearly costing them. He has the biggest contract in the league and is nowhere near the best player or even a top 5 QB.

As I said it was a tough situation for the Ravens overall. Flacco thinks he deserves Tom Brady/Peyton Manning money which is just ridiculous. He wasn't going to accept less than he got and of course the Ravens couldn't let him hit the market. Should have franchised him and then tried to use the threat of injury in 2013 in order to get him to consider dropping his asking price. Then the team should have pointed out to the press that if he gets top dollar, the team can't resign other big pieces making Flacco look like a selfish guy, thus winning the PR battle. Bottom line, they vastly overpaid for Flacco and it is clearly costing them. He has the biggest contract in the league and is nowhere near the best player or even a top 5 QB.

His cap hit this year is 7m, not 20+

His cap hit is less than it was last year.

He's not the biggest cap hit this or next year. He's less than guys like fitz, kolb, Flynn, etc.... currently.... So I'm not sure it's fair to lay the cap issues at his feet.

If they tagged him and tried to win the battle his hit today would be more than double his current. They would've been in worse shape entering free agency, cutting more salary etc...

One day it'll hurt them, but this week they are dealing with issues that are only so connected to flacco

Edited by NoSaint

His cap hit this year is 7m, not 20+

His cap hit is less than it was last year.

He's not the biggest cap hit this or next year. He's less than guys like fitz, kolb, Flynn, etc.... currently.... So I'm not sure it's fair to lay the cap issues at his feet.

If they tagged him and tried to win the battle his hit today would be more than double his current. They would've been in worse shape entering free agency, cutting more salary etc...

One day it'll hurt them, but this week they are dealing with issues that are only so connected to flacco

Fair enough. I guess if his hit is 7 million only, why are they struggling with cap issues? And if that is the case, they're really screwed in future years when the rest of that money hits the cap. Lewis is gone. Reeds not under contract. Are Suggs, Gnata and Rice sucking up that much cap? If Flacco only 7 mil, wouldn't they have some room?

Fair enough. I guess if his hit is 7 million only, why are they struggling with cap issues? And if that is the case, they're really screwed in future years when the rest of that money hits the cap. Lewis is gone. Reeds not under contract. Are Suggs, Gnata and Rice sucking up that much cap? If Flacco only 7 mil, wouldn't they have some room?

Suggs and ngata are 1 & 2 for them, Yanda is 3rd, edging out flacco. Add rice and Webb and those 6 guys are edging up to close to 50m in hits.

Oher and jones are another 5 each, so there's almost 50% of the cap

Boldin would've been 6

Leach, and McClain are 4+ each

pollard isnt huge but adds 3 more

plus your looking at needing to pay some combo of ellerbe, Kruger, reed

Possibly pitta getting a deal

Dead money from Lewis is another 3

Adds up quick when you have guys in line to be paid. The curse of drafting well and winning - guys are jumping from rookie deals to Super Bowl winning deals.

Edited by NoSaint

Stone Hands Stevie wouldn't have approved of someone better than him 'Catching" the ball.

Two ridiculous assertions in one short sentence.

No, it was a dumb move. The Ravens will not be as good in the future. Watch.

Considering they won the Super Bowl, you're not exactly going out on a limb here.

I see your view on this whole Flacco/Ravens issue has evolved in this thread so I'll only point out (as you already started to suggest) that this is actually a rebuilding year for the Ravens. Ray Lewis is gone, Reed could go. Suggs is aging. Rice has high mileage.

AND, the record for Super Bowl winning teams the following year is pretty dismal. Many SB winners fail to make the playoffs the following year.

The Ravens would never admit it but Ozzie is taking the broad view of things and that means accepting that the team will lose players to free agency and retirement. He's trying to get the cap back in order so he can start to reload.

This is a transitional year for the Ravens.

Also, Flacco's deal was fairly team-friendly considering the big numbers.

I thought Boldin said a few weeks ago that he won't play for anybody but the Ravens? It was either them or retire?

And then he changed his tune a few days ago.

Some related updates on the Boldin/Flacco/Ravens story.

There's talk that the Niners are resigned to losing Goldson and are targeting the Ravens Ed Reed as his replacement.

Also, Ravens starting OLT Bryant McKinnie has publicly said that there would be no discount for the Ravens this year. He is an unrestricted free agent and for one of the rare times in his career, he actually played up to his immense talent last year.

Finally for Harbaugh Brothers Conspiracy Theorists, FWIW the Vikings offered Baltimore a 7th rounder for Anquan Boldin before the Niners bested the offer with a 6th. It's hard to believe that the Ravens wouldn't have given Minnesota a chance to increase their offer. Very likely, the Vikings didn't want to sweeten the pot anymore.

If flacco wanted boldin to stay he could have taken a pay cut for a few years himself, instead of "settling" for the richest contract in NFL history. I have no problem with guys getting the most for themselves, but don't turn around and biatch your team out because your contract necessitates cutting corners somewhere else

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

As I said upthread, this is a rebuilding year for the Ravens. Super Bowl winners often times have lousy seasons after winning the world championship and it looks to me like the Ravens are accepting that they'll have to endure pain in 2013 before getting back on track in 2014.

At least with the trade of Boldin, they have a better chance of re-signing Ellerbe or Kruger. Both being younger players, I'm sure that's what they'd like to do.

To what? A contender only?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/09/anquan-boldin-claims-ravens-havent-asked-him-to-rework-contract/