Jairus Byrd--think he'll be traded?

JTO

If the Bills decide they are going to lose Byrd after the year then yes make the trade.

Take the extra 2nd from this year and combine it with your 2nd or 3rd and move back into the first to grab another guy late in that round. Do the same next year. In two years you add 4 first round picks. provided the FO knows what they are doing that is roughly 20% of your starters. these four players will be playing under rookie wages, which is a bonus. This frees you up to sign more of your FA you want to lock up.

OR-

It has been discussed the 2014 QB class should be a very good one. Lets say the Bills finish 8-8 or worse, they could parlay their 1st, and 2 2nds into the QB they want.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills decide they are going to lose Byrd after the year then yes make the trade.

Take the extra 2nd from this year and combine it with your 2nd or 3rd and move back into the first to grab another guy late in that round. Do the same next year. In two years you add 4 first round picks. provided the FO knows what they are doing that is roughly 20% of your starters. these four players will be playing under rookie wages, which is a bonus. This frees you up to sign more of your FA you want to lock up.

OR-

It has been discussed the 2014 QB class should be a very good one. Lets say the Bills finish 8-8 or worse, they could parlay their 1st, and 2 2nds into the QB they want.

If you want the number 1 qb next year think about the rg3 package. That was to bump up a couple spots for the second best qb.

Just having an extra pick or two doesn't mean you have any shot at the top tier qbs

Preference:

1. Extention that pays him as Top 3 safty in the league.

2. 2013 2nd and 2014 1st(QB trade up capital)

3. 2013 1st and 2013 3rd and some other stuff maybe a developmental WR.

Not a fan but could live with if yourot gonna extend him as the highest paid safety:

2 2013 2nd round pick.

Byrd would be very valuable to a team close to a super bowl. The bills are rebuilding and I would trade him if a team made me a offer I could not refuse. Top draft picks now have a lower pay scale. Mario's pay took out Levitre and Byrd, what can I say :cry: . The salary cap limits us.

Edited by independent

The franchise 1 year tag for Byrd is $6.9 million. Could we get a 1st rd safety for less then $1 million under the new pay scale for rookies? Byrd was a 2nd rd, 42nd pick.

Edited by independent

i would trade spiller, byrd, johnson, mario, and kyle williams for a 7th round draft pick. and if that draft pick turns out to be a good player, i would trade him, too, for future considerations.

they drafted whitner, gilmore, mckelvin all low in the first round. we draft safeties and corners high constantly, look at searcy, ron brooks, aaron williams, and it seems to be giving us so much success. so yes, if nix or any other moron draft a corner or a safety in the two first rounds, i will be extremely displeased.

but of course the apologists will be on board. OH NOW WE HAVE BYRD AND SAFETY X. THEY ARE GOING TO B BEASTS, THEY WILL BE THE BEST SAFETY TANDEM IN THE LEAGUE. but this is the same old song and dance. this is ridiculous. i can't believe anybody could actually consider drafting a safety

if i were the bills i would draft six QBs in this year's draft. one of them has to hit. at least it's different from drafting nothing but safeties.

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

A late 1st and a late 3rd is NOTHING for a proven player at any position. And Byrd is better than just proven.

When was the last time a team gave up a 1st and a 3rd for anyone?

The Vikings didn't even get a 1st and a 3rd for Harvin

Edited by Max997

Mario ate a big piece of the salary cap pie, you can't pay everyone like that. I would want to keep Byrd and Levitre. Byrd will make $6.9 million next season, how much can we pay him long term ?

Edited by independent

Go ahead. Trade the whole goddamned team.

As long as you stay within the salary cap, you don't have to trade anyone. Can you do that ? If you can't afford a salary like Levitre you let him walk away instead of trade him before contract is up?

Edited by independent

I have to agree with those who say this is a crazy idea. For one - as mentioned - a team would have to give up a lot, and then pay a lot on top of that; especially at a time when there are a handful of promising safeties in the draft that can be had for pennies in comparison.

Secondly, the Bills are getting good value with Byrd right now, even at 6 or 7 million for this year. In fact, if Byrd stays at the pro-bowl level, or gets better, we can franchise him again, and pay not a whole lot more than what we are this year. If anyone thinks thats a bad deal for Buffalo, you should consider that if you averaged this year and another year at the franchise level, and then added in what we paid him in his first 4 years, you end up with like an average of 3 or 4 million a year over the life of the contract. Any NFL team would take that.

So, it just seems ridiculous to speculate on such a trade unless there were a team with a real desire for him, particularly, and they were willing to make a deal - like the Bucs are with Revis.

Franchise for Byrd is $6.9 million next season, again for 2014 would be 20% more or $8.28 million compared to less then $1 million for a 1st rd draft pick. It's up to the FO and coaching staff to decide. I'am just a armchair GM with no input whatsoever.