Nix Nixing Nix - are we in full rebuilding mode?

I find it somewhat amazing that this offseason has seen the departure (and likely departure) - orchestrated by Nix - of much of the "nucleus" that Nix himself constructed.

Consider that the following players are gone, or likely to be gone: Fitzpatrick, Jones, Nelson, Levitre, Barnett, Meriman, Kelsay, Wilson.

Nearly all of those players were acquired and/or signed by Buddy Nix within the past few years. All of them were considered part of the "core" heading into the 2012 season.

And now Buddy Nix is orchestrating their departures.

It seems to me we might be in full-on rebuilding mode. What I find odd is that the GM overseeing the rebuilding is the same GM who built the foundation in the first place, and relatively recently. Seems somewhat anomalous for an NFL team to be doing that type of thing.

So my question is, are we in fact rebuilding? If so, are we comfortable with Nix as the architect? Personally, I have my doubts about Nix, but I wouldn't mind it if the Bills were to finally "bottom out" this year and become eligible for either Clowney or Manziel. I just don't want to hear their marketing garbage about how it's playoffs or bust this season. There are so many holes on this roster (most of them self-created) that I have trouble envisioning a successful season, absent a grand slam draft and free agency period.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I think we are in full rebuilding mode. If the writings on the wall are correct, Nix is retiring after the draft and Whaley is taking over. Its very possible that behind the scemes, Whaley is already in charge and Nix is just hanging around for the draft. Im hoping these moves are at his direction and not at Russ Brandons :death:

I think there is a good chance we bottom out this year. I'd love me some Clowney. But Manzeil was a true freshman this year (Im pretty sure) and would have to stay in school for another year, so he isn't elligible for next yrs draft.

I find it somewhat amazing that this offseason has seen the departure (and likely departure) - orchestrated by Nix - of much of the "nucleus" that Nix himself constructed.

Consider that the following players are gone, or likely to be gone: Fitzpatrick, Jones, Nelson, Levitre, Barnett, Meriman, Kelsay, Wilson.

Nearly all of those players were acquired and/or signed by Buddy Nix within the past few years. All of them were considered part of the "core" heading into the 2012 season.

It seems to me we might be in full-on rebuilding mode. What I find odd is that the GM overseeing the rebuilding is the same GM who built the foundation in the first place, and relatively recently. Seems somewhat anomalous for an NFL team to be doing that type of thing.

So my question is, are we in fact rebuilding? If so, are we comfortable with Nix as the architect? Personally, I have my doubts about Nix, but I wouldn't mind it if the Bills were to finally "bottom out" this year and become eligible for either Clowney or Manziel. I just don't want to hear their marketing garbage about how it's playoffs or bust this season. There are so many holes on this roster (most of them self-created) that I have trouble envisioning a successful season, absent a grand slam draft and free agency period.

No offense, but were your entombed in carbonite for the past few months? Yes the Bills are in full rebuilding mode. They may stay that way for some time if they do not hit on a QB soon. By the time a potential QB gets up to speed all of the decent players (the few) we have will be aging Vets....and then it begins all over again

No offense, but were your entombed in carbonite for the past few months? Yes the Bills are in full rebuilding mode. They may stay that way for some time if they do not hit on a QB soon. By the time a potential QB gets up to speed all of the decent players (the few) we have will be aging Vets....and then it begins all over again

So there is absolutely no hope that the Bills can win this season? Not buying it. What this team lacked last year can be fixed. They need to fix the defense and I believe that can be done through scheme and coaching with some guys added in FA and the draft. It can be done this year. And they definitely need a new QB. Fitz made too many poor throws and critical mistakes and replacing him with almost anyone will be an improvement. I say they make the playoffs this year.

Yes I think we are in full rebuilding mode. If the writings on the wall are correct, Nix is retiring after the draft and Whaley is taking over. Its very possible that behind the scemes, Whaley is already in charge and Nix is just hanging around for the draft. Im hoping these moves are at his direction and not at Russ Brandons :death:

I think there is a good chance we bottom out this year. I'd love me some Clowney. But Manzeil was a true freshman this year (Im pretty sure) and would have to stay in school for another year, so he isn't elligible for next yrs draft.

Actually he was a red shirt freshman, therfore next year will be his third year and he would be eligible for the draft in 2014 (if he chooses to declare).

McGee, Kelsey, Wilson, Levitre [Ed: Fitzpatrick] were not Nix guys. They were drafted or picked up prior to Nix becoming GM. I think there's others in there but these are off the too of my head.

FWIW, the only one of these I wanted to return was Levitre and honestly, at 7+ million I have no problems letting a Guard walk. AL is very good but ILmen are expendable. If you've got a good LT and a good C, the LG is the one that benefits the most. They could probably plug in Glenn and move Hairston to LT, or Rhinehardt at LG and keep the rest of the line the same and be fine.

Yes, this is rebuilding. It's a new coaching staff. The entire staff. They are getting rid of the players that have contributed to the 13 straight losing seasons. They plan to replace them with their own players. I've got no problem with it.

Wouldn't we have had to actually have been in a "building" mode to qualify for the term "rebuilding" mode? The last decade has been a "frittering and stumbling" mode.

Wouldn't we have had to actually have been in a "building" mode to qualify for the term "rebuilding" mode? The last decade has been a "frittering and stumbling" mode.

After frittering and stumbling comes bottoming out. Then the rebuilding can begin.

Seriously, are we just programmed to believe that we should be in rebuilding mode and that it's gonna take a few more years? That's total BS. Buddy's plan was flawed from the beginning when he committed to Gailey and Fitz. Not to mention 3 incredibly mediocre drafts.

How can anyone believe that Buddy's tenure was anything but a failure? So why believe him when he said it takes 3 years to rebuild? His words are hollow and baseless.

If the Bills have a solid draft, which has been nearly impossible the last 10 years, and add some key FA's they can win football games this year. Losing a good guard and a bunch of crap/D level players doesn't mean that we have to rebuild. We can win now, we just need a new architect.

The bills have tried to rebuild since Bill Polian and John Butler were let go.

Not to speak ill of the dead but Butler started this problem. He kept aging vets too long, put the team in salary cap hell, had bad drafts and made stupid trades.

Always? really?

Yes, clearly...the retention of guys like Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, Erik Pears, Scott Chandler, etc. in the last 2 off-seasons means nothing...several posters have made this quite clear.

Technically, either a team is the defending Superbowl champion, or they're building to get there. If you didn't win the Superbowl, then you're not done building, are you?

So, yes, we're "re-building"...along with 30 other teams.

McGee, Kelsey, Wilson, Levitre [Ed: Fitzpatrick] were not Nix guys. They were drafted or picked up prior to Nix becoming GM. I think there's others in there but these are off the too of my head.

Merriman, McGee, Kelsay, Wilson, and Fitzpatrick were all given long term (3 or more year) contract extensions by Nix. In doing so, he affirmed they were necessary to his rebuilding, which he said would take 3-4 years.

He also signed Erik Pears, who last season affirmed why he was out of the league and had played for multiple teams in the preceding few seasons.

EDIT: McGee and Merriman had a 2 year deals IIRC.

Edited by BillsVet

:thumbsup::w00t: