Hackett / Fitz Connection

Not to belabor the obvious but all this talk about cutting Fitz & drafting a "franchise" QB has to come down to this basic question: do you believe any QB in this draft is a real improvement over Fitz, who can come in & turn things around right now? If your answer is "no," then how in the world can you even think of getting rid of him? That's the heart of the matter. Or to put it another way, Fitz may not be very good, but are any of these guys better? I don't believe any of them are. The Bills are going to draft a QB. Whoever it is will have flaws & will need work, & to my eyes, none of them are anywhere near capable of coming in this year & turning things around.

7th round fitz is better than projected 1st rounders like Barkley and Geno? I don't understand the Fitzlove at all, can you really stand the idea of watching his erratic arm for another year? It's just not good enough and is not a solution IMO.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Stevie is going to say Fitz is his guy. Saying anything but would be stupid. If fitz is cut, Stevie will end up being happy with it. Fitz sucks.

Stevie wants someone how can throw him the ball without it skipping off the grass two yards from his feet.

I don't think Hackett and Fitz' familiarity with each other will play much. If Hackett feels Fitz can get the job done, he stays. If not, he's outta here. At least that's what I hope anyway. But seeing how Coach Marrone likes guys he's familiar with, I'm not sure.

7th round fitz is better than projected 1st rounders like Barkley and Geno? I don't understand the Fitzlove at all, can you really stand the idea of watching his erratic arm for another year? It's just not good enough and is not a solution IMO.

lol..i hear ya. but just for arguments sake, it's not about where Fitz was drafted relative to Geno or Barkley...it's more a question of whether Geno/Barkley (or anyone else in this draft) can put up better numbers than 3,600yds, 24td's, 19int's and a 61% comp. percentage in the NFL, b/c that's what Fitz has averaged the last 2 seasons. Jamarcus Russell was a top pick compared to Fitz but J. Russell couldn't cut it at all in the NFL.

That being said, i'm a big fan of Geno and would love him at #8 if he falls, which he probably won't.

This should be the end of the debate. Hackett needs to win...Fitz doesn't win

i heard one time, as this was before fitz got PAID, that they went to subway together and split a 5 dollar foot long. you dont go back on a commitment like that just because the success of your entire career depends on it. they are forever tied together.

i heard one time, as this was before fitz got PAID, that they went to subway together and split a 5 dollar foot long. you dont go back on a commitment like that just because the success of your entire career depends on it. they are forever tied together.

This is a GREAT point!!! B-)

I've been aware of Barkley since he was in high school. I was happy he enrolled at USC (and I've watched nearly every game he played there, some in person). And considering he was thrust into starting a year or two too early, he did a great job. HOWEVER, as much as I like him personally, I don't think he'll be a star QB in the NFL. And I certainly don't think he'll be ready to lead a team to the playoffs in his rookie year.

I've watched several Geno Smith games and I can see why people are excited about him. But I think they're editing out those plays where he's less than stellar. And he has those plays in every game. My personal opinion about him is that he's not sound enough in all the key areas a QB needs to be and never will be. In fact, I think he's going to be an enormous bust in the NFL. In any case, you can't seriously believe he could lead the Bills to the playoffs in 2013, can you?

I fully believe Marrone knows that an NFL coaching gig stats for Not For Long if you lose.

They are not going to make major decisions like the QB or who to draft because someone on hist staff shared a tuna fish sandwich in the past.

That said. Cutting Fitz is a fanboarch material. Not likely at this point in time in real life.

You can't cut a QB unless you have a plan on an alternative. Right now there is no alternative on the roster.

I fully believe Marrone knows that an NFL coaching gig stats for Not For Long if you lose.

They are not going to make major decisions like the QB or who to draft because someone on hist staff shared a tuna fish sandwich in the past.

That said. Cutting Fitz is a fanboarch material. Not likely at this point in time in real life.

You can't cut a QB unless you have a plan on an alternative. Right now there is no alternative on the roster.

Tarvaris Jackson has accomished more in this league than Fitz has, and he doesn't limit the playbook with a noodle arm. The sooner you cut Fitz the sooner you get his contract off the books. Rip off the band-aid, move past this career backup and let TJ compete with the rookie.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

so its either upgrade to a real qb or continue to waddle around as a perennial loser with Fitz at the helm?

i choose the upgrade. fitz is just too limited, lets turn the page.

Bob Seger!!

"Here I am, being a 'starter' again. There I go. Turn the page!"

Tarvaris Jackson has accomished more in this league than Fitz has, and he doesn't limit the playbook with a noodle arm. The sooner you cut Fitz the sooner you get his contract off the books. Rip off the band-aid, move past this career backup and let TJ compete with the rookie.

LMFAO. When? And HOW? Please elaborate.

Awesome post Fear!

Thanks

Nassib hasn't been a 2nd round pick, yet, and Fitz will always be what he is: a QB who will win you 5 - 7 games a season.

You are right, he could be a first round pick. He probably will be a late first round draft pick when the Bills trade back into the first to select him

Fitz OTOH has recently been led by morons, Perry Fewell aside. Both Mike Martz and Chan Gaileys offensive philosophy's both proved to be worthless in the long run. Martz's system only worked with great players at almost every position! But then again what scheme doesn't? Gailey however never won more then 6 games with the Chiefs and Bills, and he went downhill with that awesome super bowl Cowboy team loaded with HoFers.

How about we wait to see if Marrone can improve on Fitz. My take is he almost has to improve in every way considering if Marrone utilizes the run heavy offense that he used at Syracuse. Not to mention should the Bills draft an OT / WR with that first pick at #8 will help the offense immensely.

If the Bills draft a QB this year Fitz or TJ should be the starter while Marrone builds the rest of the offense his way, and develops the rookie QB. As I see things TJ won't be an improvement over Fitz unless that O line gets a new LT.

I've been aware of Barkley since he was in high school. I was happy he enrolled at USC (and I've watched nearly every game he played there, some in person). And considering he was thrust into starting a year or two too early, he did a great job. HOWEVER, as much as I like him personally, I don't think he'll be a star QB in the NFL. And I certainly don't think he'll be ready to lead a team to the playoffs in his rookie year.

I've watched several Geno Smith games and I can see why people are excited about him. But I think they're editing out those plays where he's less than stellar. And he has those plays in every game. My personal opinion about him is that he's not sound enough in all the key areas a QB needs to be and never will be. In fact, I think he's going to be an enormous bust in the NFL. In any case, you can't seriously believe he could lead the Bills to the playoffs in 2013, can you?

No, I don't see ANY available quarterback leading the Bills to the playoffs this season. I can picture Barkley having some of the throwing limitations that Fitz has (I'm not sure about his arm strength), but I think Barkley won't throw bad interceptions at the rate Fitz does. Fitz is supposed to be great at reading defenses and all the cerebral aspects of the game, but he makes some terrible decisions, especially late in game.

I don't think it will take long for Barkley to surpass Fitz, and having Fitz as the starter will kill the morale of the team before the season even starts. The players need to feel that they are building toward something (same as the fans), and a new Qb is essential to get any kind of optimism started.

Not to belabor the obvious but all this talk about cutting Fitz & drafting a "franchise" QB has to come down to this basic question: do you believe any QB in this draft is a real improvement over Fitz, who can come in & turn things around right now? YES. If your answer is "no," then how in the world can you even think of getting rid of him? My answer was yes. That's the heart of the matter. Or to put it another way, Fitz may not be very good, but are any of these guys better? Yes. I don't believe any of them are. I disagree. The Bills are going to draft a QB. Whoever it is will have flaws & will need work, & to my eyes, none of them are anywhere near capable of coming in this year & turning things around.

I'd ask this: can it be worse? Even if we won 2 games, that's better than the usual 6 and picking 8th. Here's the deal: We all know that cutting Fitz does not clear a lot of cap space for this season and that about $10 million will remain on the books if he is cut. However, unless the FO truly feels Fitz is "the guy" that can take us to the playoffs, he needs to be cut. Another 6 win season with him "steering" the ship would be disastrous because his cap hit will then be on the 2014 books. I have stated this from the time Fitz became the starter: he will not take this team to the playoffs. Ever. In fact, he has not taken us past 6 wins yet. You can throw in your remarks about our bad defense and lack of WR's and all that other crap, but let's be honest about this. He is NOT the guy to get the job done. Therefore, it is time to move on and hand the keys to someone else.

If the Bills retain Fitz this season, it is one of the biggest mistakes this franchise will ever make.

Thanks

You are right, he could be a first round pick. He probably will be a late first round draft pick when the Bills trade back into the first to select him

Fitz OTOH has recently been led by morons, Perry Fewell aside. Both Mike Martz and Chan Gaileys offensive philosophy's both proved to be worthless in the long run. Martz's system only worked with great players at almost every position! But then again what scheme doesn't? Gailey however never won more then 6 games with the Chiefs and Bills, and he went downhill with that awesome super bowl Cowboy team loaded with HoFers.

How about we wait to see if Marrone can improve on Fitz. My take is he almost has to improve in every way considering if Marrone utilizes the run heavy offense that he used at Syracuse. Not to mention should the Bills draft an OT / WR with that first pick at #8 will help the offense immensely.

If the Bills draft a QB this year Fitz or TJ should be the starter while Marrone builds the rest of the offense his way, and develops the rookie QB. As I see things TJ won't be an improvement over Fitz unless that O line gets a new LT.

Yep, improve a 30 year old 7th round pick who is leading the league in turnovers the last three years. Not a chance. See above as to why Fitz should not even be on the team, let alone starting.

Edited by Marauder24

That is "IF" he can learn the playbook.

There was a reason the Seahawks traded him away with only Matt Flynn and a rookie QB on the roster. Every time the game came down to the QB making a play to win the game TJ was just as bad as Fitz, perhaps even worse... miscues, turnovers, fumbles, INT's.

That is "IF" he can learn the playbook.

There was a reason the BILLS Seahawks traded him away CUT FITZ, with only Matt Flynn TJ and a rookie QB on the roster. Every time the game came down to the QB making a play to win the game TJ was just as bad as Fitz WAS BAD perhaps even worse... miscues, turnovers, fumbles, INT's.

Fixed. End of discussion.

Edited by Marauder24

Tarvaris Jackson has accomplish more in this league than Fitz has, and he doesn't limit the playbook with a noodle arm. The sooner you cut Fitz the sooner you get his contract off the books. Rip off the band-aid, move past this career backup and let TJ compete with the rookie.

This is fan board nonsense.

TJax can't play QB in the NFL, he has accomplished proving that without a doubt.

Man o man you are gonna be one crying, whiny, unhappy dude when Fitz starts :w00t:

When he "leads" our team to another sub .500 season, every Bills fan should be crying, whiny and unhappy, especially with ten mil against the cap in 2014.