Hackett / Fitz Connection

No, I don't see ANY available quarterback leading the Bills to the playoffs this season. I can picture Barkley having some of the throwing limitations that Fitz has (I'm not sure about his arm strength), but I think Barkley won't throw bad interceptions at the rate Fitz does. Fitz is supposed to be great at reading defenses and all the cerebral aspects of the game, but he makes some terrible decisions, especially late in game.

I don't think it will take long for Barkley to surpass Fitz, and having Fitz as the starter will kill the morale of the team before the season even starts. The players need to feel that they are building toward something (same as the fans), and a new Qb is essential to get any kind of optimism started.

I agree, Fitz is a coach killer.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Fitz is a coach killer.

Seriously, I can't see Barkley not being an upgrade, and quickly. He is polished, with tons of experience, and with his training and coaching taken to the next level, he will at least become a competent starter, something the Bills haven't had in a very long time.

Fitz has thrown for a lot of yards, but he has terrible ball placement, throws a ton of picks, and developed a knack for blowing games. That is why, though many will say with a better game plan he can be successful, I don't believe in him.

I don't really think having a different QB would bother Stevie at all. The whole vibe of everything he said about Fitz this year, did not seem whole hearted to me. Infact he seemed a lot like he was losing faith in his QB. His body language was off when talking about Fitz, and a lot of time he looked like he was hoping he wouldn't be asked about him at all. Stevie said exactly what he should say( and I think at one point he actually believed it).

I don't really think having a different QB would bother Stevie at all. The whole vibe of everything he said about Fitz this year, did not seem whole hearted to me. Infact he seemed a lot like he was losing faith in his QB. His body language was off when talking about Fitz, and a lot of time he looked like he was hoping he wouldn't be asked about him at all. Stevie said exactly what he should say( and I think at one point he actually believed it).

I think SJ likes Fitz the person (I think the whole team does. I believe he is a great teammate), but SJ would put up huge numbers, and win a bunch more games, with a quality starter slinging the ball around.

I saw Stevie's body language show frustration when Fitz would throw a dirt ball to him when he was open. We need better accuracy on the out and deep pattern.

I think SJ likes Fitz the person (I think the whole team does. I believe he is a great teammate), but SJ would put up huge numbers, and win a bunch more games, with a quality starter slinging the ball around.

Yup! Even I like Fitz the person. You can see that he wants to be good. He tries like hell to be aggressive, but he just doesn't have it. Wish he would think about going into coaching. I bet he would be great at that :)

Yup! Even I like Fitz the person. You can see that he wants to be good. He tries like hell to be aggressive, but he just doesn't have it. Wish he would think about going into coaching. I bet he would be great at that :)

i like Fitz, he seems to be exactly what you want in a teammate. Nothing would have made me happier than Fitz coming through, and being a good QB. There is plenty to like about the person, just not his play.

He probably will, but given that he can be a top backup QB at a much higher salary for a number of years, he'll be in the league for a while.

When he "leads" our team to another sub .500 season, every Bills fan should be crying, whiny and unhappy, especially with ten mil against the cap in 2014.

Can't believe some people think we should keep fitz. If he costs 2 million to be the back up, it makes a little bit of sense. Very little.

The cap hit next year is reason enough alone.

Hmmmm.

He has a degree in economics from Harvard.

I doubt he'll become a football coach after his playing days are over.

He hasn't worked in any capacity in investment banking, private equity, venture capital, etc.; I see Fitzpatrick getting involved in angel-investing ventures and being successful, but while working in some capacity in football (though the management side is more likely than coaching). It's hard to say what he'll do.

Pat McInally- the former Harvard punter who scored a perfect score on the Wonderlic- currently coaches at a local high school while investing and consulting; I see Fitzpatrick doing something similar in Arizona.

Though the Ivy League doesn't give out athletic scholarships, the academic and intellectual standards for athletes- particularly in football- are noticeably lower than those for regular students. Consider Desmond Bryant, a former Harvard DT who certainly isn't the brightest player in the league.

He hasn't worked in any capacity in investment banking, private equity, venture capital, etc.; I see Fitzpatrick getting involved in angel-investing ventures and being successful, but while working in some capacity in football (though the management side is more likely than coaching). It's hard to say what he'll do.

Pat McInally- the former Harvard punter who scored a perfect score on the Wonderlic- currently coaches at a local high school while investing and consulting; I see Fitzpatrick doing something similar in Arizona.

Though the Ivy League doesn't give out athletic scholarships, the academic and intellectual standards for athletes- particularly in football- are noticeably lower than those for regular students. Consider Desmond Bryant, a former Harvard DT who certainly isn't the brightest player in the league.

Excellent points!

BTW, why ny33?

Everytime I see that I think of Genesee Street.

Can't believe some people think we should keep fitz. If he costs 2 million to be the back up, it makes a little bit of sense. Very little.

The cap hit next year is reason enough alone.

Exactly. I'm hoping (praying?) the Bills' brass sees this and cuts their loss(es).

Ah, Desmond Bryant. "That was my Harvard buddy who hit me, too!" -Fitz. You're likely right. I don't see Bryant attending Harvard without football and he pretty much said as much "The Ivy League isn't my kind of environment".

Fitz, on the other hand, had the academic cred for admission independent of football and as a self-reported scrabble and apple technology addict, probably fit right in.

Fitz interned on Wall Street and is on record he expected to accept an offer after graduation. That would seem to count as "any capacity"? Though perhaps you mean only as a full time regular employee.

I wouldn't expect to see Fitz go to Wall Street after football. Why should he? With careful investing, he's set for life and can grow his money on his own terms. I see him more as coaching than management, but I'd expect him to follow Beebe's footsteps and coach for a high-school team or the like - something because he wants to, but not requiring the all-in overwhelming effort of a major college program or pro team.

Exactly. I'm hoping (praying?) the Bills' brass sees this and cuts their loss(es).

I expect if they do keep him, it will only be until they see who they get in the draft, and into training camp if they draft someone they see as not ready to play.

I can't imagine they keep Fitz and TJax on the 53 man.

Edit: I also don't imagine they'll keep him unless they can somehow decrease the 2014 cap hit

Edited by Hopeful

Ah, Desmond Bryant. "That was my Harvard buddy who hit me, too!" -Fitz. You're likely right. I don't see Bryant attending Harvard without football and he pretty much said as much "The Ivy League isn't my kind of environment".

Fitz, on the other hand, had the academic cred for admission independent of football and as a self-reported scrabble and apple technology addict, probably fit right in.

Fitz interned on Wall Street and is on record he expected to accept an offer after graduation. That would seem to count as "any capacity"? Though perhaps you mean only as a full time regular employee.

I wouldn't expect to see Fitz go to Wall Street after football. Why should he? With careful investing, he's set for life and can grow his money on his own terms. I see him more as coaching than management, but I'd expect him to follow Beebe's footsteps and coach for a high-school team or the like - something because he wants to, but not requiring the all-in overwhelming effort of a major college program or pro team.

Yep, which is why I see him living in Arizona while perhaps coaching high school football. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get involved in some Bay Area/L.A. v.c. investing or consulting, perhaps on sports-related ventures. I highly doubt he will go into investment banking or the like.

Edit: I just did some further research; he interned in a Boston-area hedge fund between his sophomore and junior years, and subsequently interned for the Celtics.

I expect if they do keep him, it will only be until they see who they get in the draft, and into training camp if they draft someone they see as not ready to play.

Most reports indicate just 500k in guaranteed money for Jackson, but I'm guessing Hackett has decided to keep him on the roster at this point. The Fitzpatrick situation is completely unclear.

Edited by ny33

It's an interesting situation.

The new league year starts in 8 days at which time Fitz is due a $3 million roster bonus.