Bills are placing franchise tag on S Jairus Byrd.

Think they'll take that CHANCE?

There's a chance Chance won't be there at 8 from what I've been hearing.

Cue the "GM's don't value Gs enough to take them that high in the draft" crowd. Great football players are ALWAYS valued, regardless of position. Warmack has greatness written all over him. Best G prospect in years.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very rare does a player "test the waters" and not leave the team he is on. Once a player feels he's not worth the extra effort to keep them, pride kick in and they walk. Letting him go is worst than letting Byrd go IMHO. He's been the only foundation this o-line has had since he came to buffalo. Played where ever they have asked and held his own. Guards are supposedly easy to find, but football players aren't.

Levitre is good, but is he 8 or 9 million dollars good? I don't know about that. I hope they keep Levitre, but OG are easier to find. Urbik is a good OG and he got pulled of the Steelers practice squad. Rhinehart is okay as well. Another PS guy. And don't forget, Brandon Moore, the guy Marrone is credited with turning into a pro bowl player, is a FA and would come cheaper than Levitre.

All depends on what's important to the Bills. Do you pay Levitre and forget about some other areas or do you let him walk and use Levitre money for a guys like Moore, Ellerbee and Bowe. They might be able to get more good players and fill more needs before the draft by letting Levitre go.

I dont like it. :thumbdown:

I would think Byrd would be THE player to take care of. Sign him long term get it over with. He was one of the best safeties in the league and the Bills don't sign him long term. WTF? the guy plays his ass of for a losing team , stays clean off the field, what more do you want from the guy??

Same old dumb as Bills.

And as I've already said: Part of it Byrd wanting to come back. With new coordinators, new everything, there is legitimate uncertainty whether this is a ship he wants to be aboard.

Can anyone name even one recent example of a player taking notably less money to play for a "real" team? This happens in the NBA but I'm pretty sure it almost never happens in the NFL.

There have been times when players take less money in the NFL.

Although usually it is with players who are in the age range of 33-37 who have already accumulated millions of dollars but have never won a championship and are willing to take a "smaller" contract to sign with a contender.

I'm talking about the current front office, whereas you gave examples from 10 years ago and 5 years ago.

The current front office has re-signed every free agent they've attempted to over the past 3 years, with the exception of Poz and Whitner, who it's debatable they wanted to sign in the first place.

Agreed. Nothing is certain, but those saying it's a certainty that Levitre's gone are ignoring the current regime's track record of not losing anyone they've made an effort to keep/acquire.

Moreover, IMO, the elevation of Brandon to President makes it even more likely the front office will find a way to work out a contract with Andy. If Russ wants the Bills to be relevant again, this is one of the ways he can demonstrate it--by keeping one of their most valuable home grown players in the fold.

Please stop posting your opinions as fact. It kills me when people make statements like "Levitre is gone". You don't know that until he signs with another team. People did this last year with Stevie.

People need less egg on their face around here. People need to dig up old threads and show people how incorrect people on this board really are.

Tom Brady just took less money in an extension

There have been times when players take less money in the NFL.

Although usually it is with players who are in the age range of 33-37 who have already accumulated millions of dollars but have never won a championship and are willing to take a "smaller" contract to sign with a contender.

Please stop posting your opinions as fact. It kills me when people make statements like "Levitre is gone". You don't know that until he signs with another team. People did this last year with Stevie.

People need less egg on their face around here. People need to dig up old threads and show people how incorrect people on this board really are.

Way ahead of you, bro. Standby.

And as I've already said: Part of it Byrd wanting to come back. With new coordinators, new everything, there is legitimate uncertainty whether this is a ship he wants to be aboard.

I understand your point, losing does get old. I would not blame him for wanting to move on but....

He will be playing under a good , proven DC who would IMO make him better.

And besides , if he does move on next year he going to have to learn another system anyway.

I understand your point, losing does get old. I would not blame him for wanting to move on but....

He will be playing under a good , proven DC who would IMO make him better.

And besides , if he does move on next year he going to have to learn another system anyway.

Okay, but you realize that to make this case, you're projecting your own confidence onto the guy who actually has stake in the game...

By the way - Byrd is not guaranteed to be back in Buffalo. It's a non-exclusive tag. If, let's say Cincinnati, signs Byrd to an offer sheet and the Bills don't match, the Bills get two 1st round picks and Byrd is gone. Better yet, if I'm Green Bay or the 49ers, I would give up those low 1st rounders for Byrd. No brainer.

Edited by JPS

That would be a great enhancement. But it's likely the same people would make the same posts under new user names when their past pronouncements were shown to be bupkis...

Einsteins definition of insanity comes to mind here. Didn't we learn our lesson? We let Antoine Winfield go for nothing, then drafted Clements to replace him, then let him bolt, and drafted another CB. 1-1+1=1 how the hell are we supposed to get ahead?

That assumes they don't use the resources saved from Levitre on a player of a different position, perhaps one that has more of an impact.

My thoughts exactly. They are looking at an OL-deep draft and thinking they can replace Levitre with an early round pick.

This is what I think too. Pick up another guard in the draft, use the money not spent on Levitre to fill another need in FA.