Matt Scott - QB - Arizona

Would be interesting to see how he did if he had an O-line that could block, or WR's that don't drop the ball 1/2 the time. I thought he looked poised, but hard to get a good read as he was forced to check-down due to being hit every other play. Thomas from Stanford would be a nice pick for the bills at LB.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Brown was talking about this guy right after the combine. Said that he believe the Bills will not draft a QB in the early rounds, and that Scott could be a target of the Bills in the 4th or 5th round. He throws a nice ball, has good footwork and a nice compact delivery. Was praised by scouts at the combine during throwing drills for his "zip" and accuracy on short and intermediate routes. From what I heard, however, he struggled somewhat throwing deep balls. Scouts said he was putting too much air under the ball causing the ball to "flutter" and be underthrown.

If the Bills truly do not see a QB worth taking in the top 3 rounds, this might be a good guy to target. Don't be fooled though...he's not Kaepernick and he's not Russell Wilson. I think he will end up going in the 4th round.

Probably won't be there. I've been doing some reach on Matt Scott and it seems like the Jaguars would be the team taking him for sure at the very top of the 4th round (pick #95). His former college QB coach is the current Jags QB coach and they obviously need serious help at the QB position. They'd love to purge Gabbert and have this year's Russell Wilson story.

Also, it's clear after reading up on him that Scott is the official "Sleeper QB" of this draft. That being the case, does he even make it to the Jags at pick #95? Given the successes of athletic running QBs like Kaepernick and Wilson, the answer is probably no. I could make a case for eight teams possibly taking him the back end of that third round.

So now we'd be talking about the Bills taking him with their third round pick if they want to draft him...but hold on! There's still a month and a half to go for this kid's stock to rise up another level and the Jags start realizing they have to take him with their third rd pick (#64).

One thing this guy doesn't lack is confidence. He said that he thinks he has the strongest arm in this class. Something he also said, "I’m a big competitor. I like to go out and lay it on the line every play, every down. I have great arm talent. I can do pretty well on the move, can be mobile at times. I think I’ll be a great fit for any offense.”

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/2013/02/20/ex-arizona-quarterback-matt-scott-i-have-strongest-arm-at-nfl-combine/

Wait, aren't you the Manuel crusader?

This was the first time I saw video of Scott.

I'd rather have Scott than any QB in this class and that includes EJ Manuel who's now my second favorite QB in this class.

I would suggest you don't watch the video of that trick shot QB from last year or you will be forced to start yet another thread like this...

Do we as Bills fans really want to look down at "sleeper QB" prospects? Stanford not good enough opponent for you? I've been watching a lot of the 2013 QB youtube videos of Smith, Barkley, Nassib, Manuel ect and not one of them has a better video showing ball throwing skills than the one I posted. That ball shoots out and is on the money every time. Bang bang.

Remember, the Bills passed on Kaepernick and Wilson both of which were pretty much scoffed at by the majority of fans here (including me) as real franchise QB prospects. Not sure if either one had a much better video than Scott's Stanford game.

Also, it's clear after reading up on him that Scott is the official "Sleeper QB" of this draft. That being the case, does he even make it to the Jags at pick #95? Given the successes of athletic running QBs like Kaepernick and Wilson, the answer is probably no. I could make a case for eight teams possibly taking him the back end of that third round.

Have you seen any evidence that Scott is an "athletic running QB" like Kaepernick and Wilson? I haven't.

Do we as Bills fans really want to look down at "sleeper QB" prospects? Stanford not good enough opponent for you? I've been watching a lot of the 2013 QB youtube videos of Smith, Barkley, Nassib, Manuel ect and not one of them has a better video showing ball throwing skills than the one I posted. That ball shoots out and is on the money every time. Bang bang.

Remember, the Bills passed on Kaepernick and Wilson both of which were pretty much scoffed at by the majority of fans here (including me) as real franchise QB prospects. Not sure if either one had a much better video than Scott's Stanford game.

A sleeper is one thing...Using a 2nd Round Pick on a Scott is clearly another...Kaepernick was not a sleeper whatsoever...Neither was Wilson...You had guys like Charles Davis on the NFL Network saying Kaepernick was going to be better than Cam Newton in 3 years...Wilson was only a 3rd Round pick due to his height...His College Resume was incredible...There are some analytics folks who had Wilson as the most NFL ready QB they ever graded... I mean...Are you just trolling?...You're not sure if Kaepernick or Wilson had a better College tape than Scott? You cannot be serious with that comment??? Have you heard of Kaepernick or Wilson before today?... :huh:

I can't believe what I just read... :lol:

Watched the 1st half. He does have a nice throwing motion and puts the ball in good spots. Way stronger arm than Fitz. The TV guys said he was dealing with hip and ankle injuries, so his mobility might have been limited. But I thought he looked pretty good.

I watched most of his games last year. He had some really big games and a couple total stinkers. Athletic and throws a nice ball. I think he's a little raw, but he's a nice developmental prospect who could end up as a good NFL starter if he can clean up some of his mechanics and master the mental side of the game. I could see him rising into the third round and wouldn't mind seeing him as a mid round selection for the Bills.

A sleeper is one thing...Using a 2nd Round Pick on a Scott is clearly another...Kaepernick was not a sleeper whatsoever...Neither was Wilson...You had guys like Charles Davis on the NFL Network saying Kaepernick was going to be better than Cam Newton in 3 years...Wilson was only a 3rd Round pick due to his height...His College Resume was incredible...There are some analytics folks who had Wilson as the most NFL ready QB they ever graded... I mean...Are you just trolling?...You're not sure if Kaepernick or Wilson had a better College tape than Scott? You cannot be serious with that comment??? Have you heard of Kaepernick or Wilson before today?... :huh:

I can't believe what I just read... :lol:

Revisionist history much. Kaepernick and Wilson were complete afterthoughts here. I went back and looked at the archives. There were only a few that liked them enough for the Bills to pick them. Where was this love of these guys from you before their drafts? If you can't post such a thing then you really have no business mocking anyone liking Scott over any of these bozos in this draft class.

If you're so certain, please show me a better (key word) college game video of Wilson or Kaepernick than Scott displays here against Stanford.

Have you seen any evidence that Scott is an "athletic running QB" like Kaepernick and Wilson? I haven't.

He didn't run a lot in college, but you could see his athleticism when he did. He ran a respectable 40 time at the combine and he posted nice numbers in the cone and shuttle drills. He's not a gazelle like Kaepernick. He's more along the lines of a Donovan McNabb type - just not as polished coming out of college.

Revisionist history much. Kaepernick and Wilson were complete afterthoughts here. I went back and looked at the archives. There were only a few that liked them enough for the Bills to pick them. Where was this love of these guys from you before their drafts? If you can't post such a thing then you really have no business mocking anyone liking Scott over any of these bozos in this draft class.

If you're so certain, please show me a better (key word) college game video of Wilson or Kaepernick than Scott displays here against Stanford.

Revisionist history? :lol:

Look...Maybe some folks don't follow College Football, or the NFL Draft like I do...But I don't need to prove anything to you via link or anything else...This is like taking candy from a baby...

Wilson and Kaepernick were far from afterthoughts both here, and anywhere for that matter...Do you not have the NFL Network? Seriously because that would explain a lot...

I lived in NC for 20 years...From the time Russell Wilson was a Freshman QB I saw an absolute ton of his Games on the tube, and I saw him in person several times at NC St...That was before what he did at Wisconsin which, by the way, was absolutely amazing...Kaepernick, as I said before, set NCAA records in College...He is the only QB in the history of Div I FBS to throw for over 10,000 yards and run for over 4,000 yards in his College career...1st player EVER...He was on the watch list for the Manning, O'Brien, Walter Camp, Maxwell, Hornung, and Unitas awards...Every Draftnick and their Mother knew about Kaep...The only question was whether or not The Pistol Offense, and the fact that he played in the WAC, were the main catalysts for his amazing numbers...Turns out it was mostly Colin...If you are not familiar with what Kaepernick, or Wilson did in their College years, that's cool...But no offense, it's really not worth arguing anything with you...You just don't know...

The bottom line is this...There is absolutely no comparison between Kaepernick, Wilson, and Scott coming out beyond the fact that they play the same position...As to what people said around here before the Draft, who cares? You compared Scott's one-game tape with Kaep and Wilson who are two of the best QB's in the history of College Football...You should do more research before you make a statement like that...And it's that statement (mainly) that I was responding to...

Now...That does not mean you're wrong about Scott turning into a good NFL QB...Anything is possible...I'm just pointing out that Scott is no where near the prospect in Scouts eyes that Kaep, or Wilson was...For very, very, very good reasons that took place on the football field in College...That's all... B-)

Revisionist history? :lol:

Look...Maybe some folks don't follow College Football, or the NFL Draft like I do...But I don't need to prove anything to you via link or anything else...This is like taking candy from a baby...

Wilson and Kaepernick were far from afterthoughts both here, and anywhere for that matter...Do you not have the NFL Network? Seriously because that would explain a lot...

I lived in NC for 20 years...From the time Russell Wilson was a Freshman QB I saw an absolute ton of his Games on the tube, and I saw him in person several times at NC St...That was before what he did at Wisconsin which, by the way, was absolutely amazing...Kaepernick, as I said before, set NCAA records in College...He is the only QB in the history of Div I FBS to throw for over 10,000 yards and run for over 4,000 yards in his College career...1st player EVER...He was on the watch list for the Manning, O'Brien, Walter Camp, Maxwell, Hornung, and Unitas awards...Every Draftnick and their Mother knew about Kaep...The only question was whether or not The Pistol Offense, and the fact that he played in the WAC, were the main catalysts for his amazing numbers...Turns out it was mostly Colin...If you are not familiar with what Kaepernick, or Wilson did in their College years, that's cool...But no offense, it's really not worth arguing anything with you...You just don't know...

The bottom line is this...There is absolutely no comparison between Kaepernick, Wilson, and Scott coming out beyond the fact that they play the same position...As to what people said around here before the Draft, who cares? You compared Scott's one-game tape with Kaep and Wilson who are two of the best QB's in the history of College Football...You should do more research before you make a statement like that...And it's that statement (mainly) that I was responding to...

Now...That does not mean you're wrong about Scott turning into a good NFL QB...Anything is possible...I'm just pointing out that Scott is no where near the prospect in Scouts eyes that Kaep, or Wilson was...For very, very, very good reasons that took place on the football field in College...That's all... B-)

Dude, I'm here almost everyday. I went back into the damn TSW archives. There was NO clamoring for drafting either of these two players PERIOD

By "no clamoring" I mean other than a few fans showing passionate support for the Bills drafting of either Kaepernick or Wilson.

It nice that you posted the college stats of these guys, but where was this fervor from you in April 2011 or April 2012? It's AMAZING the clarity you have now for these guys. You are basically saying "I told you so" even though you never actually really did tell us so before their respective drafts. The reality is that Matt Scott looks ever bit the NFL QB that Kaepernick and Wilson did when they were being evaluated. I really don't care that he only has one year to look at. That was the case with Cam Newton. I think the long college career thing is played out. I'm not in fear of making another one year wonder Aaron Maybin mistake because I never thought he was big enough in the first place. These college players today are no longer intimidated by the NFL like they were years ago. Matt Scott does not seem intimidated and appears to have the same "I'm really good, you'll see" attitude that both Kaepernick and Wilson had coming into the NFL.

Yeah I said it. I just got done watching a video of Matt Scott in the Stanford game and he is the best QB prospect in this QB class that I've seen. He has a quick and accurate Marino-like release, great arm, he makes great decisions, he stands strong and delivers in the pocket when about to take a hit, he has great feet. Seriously, why hasn't this kid been talked about around here? After watching his tape and understanding that he got very positive reviews from his combine day, this guy must is the best kept secret from fans and media in this draft. I can't believe that NFL GMs are not noticing him as a potential star NFL QB...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUa4xUGoeM0

This guy Matt Scott has a Colin Kaepernick-type vibe to him. Great talent who is shrugged off by the experts, but who has a lot of guts and belief in their talents. I see no way that he makes it to the third round pick of the Bills. Why are we talking about bench warmer guys like Barkley and Nassib who have nothing on this kid Matt Scott?

What are you doing on these forums man? Go apply for a scouting job somewhere

I don't know why this guy hasn't been getting more press. He throws the ball much better than anyone in this class. Did you see how many drops there were in that Stanford game?...LOL

Yea I caught 3 Arizona games this year,and came away impressed with Scotts, athleticism,and arm strength. He's not as polished as Foles but I think his ceiling his higher.(And I love Foles).

Also, there was nothing special about that performance.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this...I thought it was a joke at first while watching the "highlights". Seems like an average run of the mill college QB, as a matter of fact very similar to Fitz, IMO.

5th Rd- Priority FA

Edited by pimp 2

If we take him in the 5th after grabbing (in no particular order--BPA) OLB, ILB, WR and a TE, I could live with it. Then you can take a gamble next year on a QB with a higher pick. I just feel there is far too much CERTAIN value at positions of need other than QB...