Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama

Smoke-E

I want the Bills to draft Chance Warmack. By most accounts this kid is the best guard in a decade, perhaps since Steve Hutchison. Don't you have to draft a guy like that if he is available when you pick (regardless of needs)!?!? I certainly haven't heard such accolades about anyone else in this year's draft! Even if we do resign Levitre, I'd still take him and I'd move Urbik outside to RT.

My logic is this...a top flight, stout O-Line truly makes everyone on offense better - the QB by giving him and extra secound or two to find an open man, the WRs by giving them an extra second or two to create separation and get open, and the RBs by creating more/better/bigger holes. And not to mention...there is no point in drafting a franchise QB or even a developmental QB if he's just going to get killed. You need to protect him and give him the best possible chance to develop, to build confidence and to actually succeed. Furthermore, doesn't a top notch O-Line play to our one and only team strength - our RBs and our running game? It supports our best two players and best offensive weapons - CJ and Freddie! Maybe I'm overly critical, but I am NOT a firm believer in the strength of our O-Line. We're close but not there yet. A line with Glenn-Levitre-Wood-Warmack-Urbik looks pretty damn sweet to me.

Chance Warmack, OG-ALA (6-2 3/8, 325)

Production 1 2009: Played five games at OG as true freshman; 2010: Started all 13 at LOG; 2011: Started all 13 at LOG Height-Weight-Speed 3 Slightly shorter and heavier than the average OG prospect at past five NFL combines. But is country strong and moves well for his size/position. Durability 1 as started all 26 games during past two seasons combined (2010-11). Intangibles 2 Has been a consistent, reliable player throughout career. Continues to improve. Has taken care of his business in the classroom and has no off-the-field issues to our knowledge. Enrolled early at UA (January of 2009).

Pass Protection 2 Wide-body OG with adequate lateral agility and overall athleticism for the position. But he's a natural knee bender with good short-area quickness and balance. Light on his feet. Explosive punch. Occasionally can get knocked back by powerful bull rusher and will let pads get too high. But more often than not, shows ability to re-sink hips and regain balance/leverage. Very good awareness and consistently picks up twists, stunts, blitzes and delayed blitzes. Run Blocking 1 Consistently does a good job with his first step to get quality initial positioning. Has a strong lower body and a powerful upper body. Can jar defender initially but also has the leg drive and tenacity to sustain and generate a surge. Tough, thick and smart run blocker. Impressive initial quickness and mobility when getting out on pulls. Takes solid angles. Good balance in space. Consistently shows ability to hit moving target on second level. Awareness 1 Very good football intelligence. Knows opponents' tendencies. Film work transfers to the field. Keeps head on a swivel in pass pro. Very good awareness versus stunts, twists and blitzes. Does a nice job of locating assignments on pulls and second-level blocks. Toughness 1 Classic OG tough guy - both physically and mentally. Keeps chopping away at defenders every play. Fights hard to regain leverage if he loses it initially. Not satisfied until he buries the defender. Plays hard for four quarters. Takes pride in his craft.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David DeCastro from last year's draft was said to be an elite guard that hasn't come out of college in a long time. He was drafted late in the 1st round.

I hate the idea of taking a guard at #8. We have too many more pressing needs.

David DeCastro from last year's draft was said to be an elite guard that hasn't come out of college in a long time. He was drafted late in the 1st round.

I hate the idea of taking a guard at #8. We have too many more pressing needs.

I agree with Bangarang. I heard the same things about DeCastro last year that I hear about Warmack this year -- best in a decase. Well you can't have the best in a decade every year. He will be good, but not for the Buffalo Bills.

I agree with Bangarang. I heard the same things about DeCastro last year that I hear about Warmack this year -- best in a decase. Well you can't have the best in a decade every year. He will be good, but not for the Buffalo Bills.

ha, they say that about Centers too. I remember them saying that about Kalil and Mangold, and they were like 1 or 2 years apart. That said, I'm for an O-line upgrade; though I think I'd prefer Fisher at OT over a Guard. Still a chance we could retain Levitre.

If for what ever reason they don't get Andy resigned then i would be all in b/c this kid is getting talked about all over the place & he could start day one & we wouldn't miss a lick as far as the O line is concerned .

That being said if they do resign Levetrie we have way to many other positions on this team that need tending & that would be a waste of a pick !

Then we would sit back like we have in the past & watch a player the caliber of a Nata , Mathews , or Orapko go on to be great while this guy is in rotation or sitting the bench.

Now if we were San Fran with 15 draft pick grab him but seeing as we give our picks away so often we need all of them we can get !!

What we need to do is wheel & deal with the 49er's & trade our first pick to them & add another pick or 2 to our draft to make up for the one given up for T jack ...

Sadly, odds are Levitre will sign with another team and I would not be shocked if the Bills took Chance at 8

Again, Andy would be missed.

But, Chance Warmack is younger and could be better than Levitre in the long run.

Better in the long run? Warmack is ALREADY better than Levitre will ever be.

GO BILLS!!!

I mean this sincerely...

Would some of you still be saying so matter-of-factly that he is going to be so good if his name was Jerry Heffernan? I think people get blinded by little things, feed into what the talking heads are serving, etc. How many people actually watched Warmack dominate?

He could be great, but it is no sure thing like some suggest. We cannot afford to take a guard at 8.

I mean this sincerely...

Would some of you still be saying so matter-of-factly that he is going to be so good if his name was Jerry Heffernan? I think people get blinded by little things, feed into what the talking heads are serving, etc. How many people actually watched Warmack dominate?

He could be great, but it is no sure thing like some suggest. We cannot afford to take a guard at 8.

This is only one of several facets in the discussion of why you don't draft Warmack at #8.

Personally you can't say he's better than someone who has a good career in the NFL because Warmack hasn't played in the NFL yet.

Doug Marrone has an opportunity to build his team properly from day one, and it starts with the O line. If you can find a player you know will be an all pro from day one... you draft him, period!

According to Mike Mayock, Warmack is arguably the best player at his position in the draft. The pick might not be sexy, but it will fill a need at far less money then what Levitre wants.

I'd prefer one of the top 3 LT's Fisher, Joeckel, Johnson, and move Glenn to RT because that right side is still a weakness. The Bills need depth on that line instead of band-aids.

From NFL.com

"Bottom Line

Sturdy guard with dominating strength at the point of attack and enough mobility to clear the way for Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram, 2012 top five pick Trent Richardson, and probable first round pick Eddie Lacy over the last three seasons. His toughness and durability are outstanding, and he grades out as one of the elite talents in the 2013 draft, and as a probable starter day one on Sundays -- and he'll stick around for a long time. "

"3) Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama (5): There are plenty of scouts who believe Warmack is the best player in this draft. He is a dominant interior blocker with the capacity to overwhelm defenders with his combination of size, strength and power."

http://www.nfl.com/n...ft-big-board-20

Edited by FeartheLosing

Buddy Nix will never draft an OG period. His philosophy is to draft T's and convert them to G's, if they dont work out as tackles. I'm not sure Nix has drafted one OG since hes been with the team. If you remember Mark Asper was viewed more as a C by the Bills when he was drafted. You might be able to get Justin Pugh from Syracuse in the 2nd round who has the ability to play tackle.or guard, and probably wouldnt be much of a dropoff from Warmack. If we're to take Buddy at his word, which I do, theres virtually no chance a G will be considered with the 8th pick.

If Levitre signs with the Patriots and we draft a guard at #8 i will never watch a Bills game again.

I agree!!!! I will be caught however in the continuing downward spiral of my beloved Bills. I am hoping this "new" front office will do something smart and bold with FA and the upcoming draft. I am truly hoping this is Nix's last draft.

This is only one of several facets in the discussion of why you don't draft Warmack at #8.

Personally you can't say he's better than someone who has a good career in the NFL because Warmack hasn't played in the NFL yet.

Could you say that Andrew Luck was better than Ryan Fitzpatrick at this time last year?

Levitre is a dependable, solid starter. And there's a lot to be said for that. But he doesn't dominate his position in the NFL and he didn't in college, either. Chance Warmack, on the other hand, has flat out dominated his competition for two years now. Cue up the tape from the Georgia game this year. That's just one example.

None of that is a reason to take Warmack at 8 per se and I'm not advocating that they should necessarily, but I'm confident there won't be a better football player on the board. There won't be when the Chiefs are on the clock with the first pick, either.

GO BILLS!!!

Buddy Nix will never draft an OG period. His philosophy is to draft T's and convert them to G's, if they dont work out as tackles. I'm not sure Nix has drafted one OG since hes been with the team. If you remember Mark Asper was viewed more as a C by the Bills when he was drafted. You might be able to get Justin Pugh from Syracuse in the 2nd round who has the ability to play tackle.or guard, and probably wouldnt be much of a dropoff from Warmack. If we're to take Buddy at his word, which I do, theres virtually no chance a G will be considered with the 8th pick.

Spot on! There really is no chance we take Warmack at 8.

Your name is Smoke-E and Warmack is an Ogalalla Sioux?

I respect you repping your people but I don't think that's a good reason to draft a player.

You'd think differently if he was a Hunkpapa or a Miniconjou? :huh: