Why does everyone think Matt Ryan is a top 6 QB?

FireChan

We don't no whether he is or is not. His offensive coordinators haven't been close to creative. I have a hunch the HC likes it that way and does not prefer to attack a defense very aggressively.

From what I've observed, he runs a very good two minute offense. When he was allowed to be aggressive at BC, he was extremely effective and lit it up. But, as I stated, it seems to me he's been handcuffed with the Falcons

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what you might be saying about him if he was our QB & led our team to the AFC championship game ??

My personal faults don't make my criticisms invalid. I just said he's not number 6. I've already warned people about derailing this topic; of course he's still a good QB, he just can't get it done in the playoffs.

Dont forget about his run game.. which is average at best.

The interesting part comes in closer to the bottom where he compares Ryan's career to Peyton Manning (who also had no playoff success in his first 8 years) and to Tom Brady. In the case of Brady, if you were to reverse his career, people would be calling him a choke artist. Right now nobody does that because of his wins early in his career.

Also, its easy to look at W/L record in the playoffs to criticize a QB.. but that isnt always the best way. In AFC championship 2 years ago, Flacco played well enough to beat the pats, but his kicker blew the game for him. The same goes for Ryan in this years playoffs. He played well enough to win, but because of the defense and a stumble from a receiver, he was the loser.

Flacco didn't turn the ball over twice, Ryan did. You can't blame the receiver for one mistake and not Ryan for two costly ones. Watch how the situation plays in reverse, "Douglas played well enough to win, but because of the defense and two picks from the QB, he was the loser"

Mistakes are costly, Ryan made too many. He should've lost that Seahawks game that he basically gave away.

And I didn't get down to the playoff reverse thing earlier, here's my take on that.

Matt Ryan has made the post-season 4 times, he's 1-4 in the postseason. He has 7 picks in his post season career, more than a pick a game average. 9 touchdowns.

Tom Brady in reverse, so the last 4 years 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009. 3-4, 10 picks, 16 TD's. Even though the averages are around the same, Brady won two more games. Luck, skill, timing, he still won 2 more games.

And yeah, of course he's inflated because of his early wins, but those early wins did happen. It's those damn hypotheticals again He's not playing in reverse, he's won big before. Matt Ryan hasn't won big before, and loses games for his team on big stages more than he wins. He doesn't hold a candle to Brady.

"If Brady didn't win those Superbowls and play great, no one would think he was great" is a silly argument.

Edited by FireChan

The guy basically owns all the Falcons franchise passing records in just 5 years. Started 3 years in college at BC,went 25-7 in 32 starts along with 3 bowl wins. He was drafted in 2008 his first year 11-5, second 9-7, third 13-3, fourth 10-6, 5th 13-3

Not very many QB's come out of the gate winning in the NFL like this kid, and he is getting better.. He did sprain the AC joint in his non throwing shoulder during that Niners game. The Falcons did beat the hottest team in the Seahawks but fell short against the 49ers. Except for the Ravens this year the last 4 SB winners were the Saints, Packers, Giants. The Falcons gave up more yards on defense then the Bills did last season.

The Buffalo Bills wish they had "Matty Ice" at QB

My personal faults don't make my criticisms invalid. I just said he's not number 6. I've already warned people about derailing this topic; of course he's still a good QB, he just can't get it done in the playoffs.

Flacco didn't turn the ball over twice, Ryan did. You can't blame the receiver for one mistake and not Ryan for two costly ones. Watch how the situation plays in reverse, "Douglas played well enough to win, but because of the defense and two picks from the QB, he was the loser"

Mistakes are costly, Ryan made too many. He should've lost that Seahawks game that he basically gave away.

And I didn't get down to the playoff reverse thing earlier, here's my take on that.

Matt Ryan has made the post-season 4 times, he's 1-4 in the postseason. He has 7 picks in his post season career, more than a pick a game average. 9 touchdowns.

Tom Brady in reverse, so the last 4 years 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009. 3-4, 10 picks, 16 TD's. Even though the averages are around the same, Brady won two more games. Luck, skill, timing, he still won 2 more games.

And yeah, of course he's inflated because of his early wins, but those early wins did happen. It's those damn hypotheticals again He's not playing in reverse, he's won big before. Matt Ryan hasn't won big before, and loses games for his team on big stages more than he wins. He doesn't hold a candle to Brady.

"If Brady didn't win those Superbowls and play great, no one would think he was great" is a silly argument.

Thats not my argument.. my argument is that just because Ryan hasn't won a superbowl in his first 5 seasons, does mean he isnt a good QB and doesnt mean that he will never win a superbowl.

In this past 2 years only 2 QBs have won the superbowl (Eli and Flacco). Thats just how it is, all the good QBs cant win a superbowl every year. Ryan is still a good QB and right now he is definitely in the top 8, probably #6.

Edited by Billsrhody

Thats not my argument.. my argument is that just because Ryan hasn't won a superbowl in his first 5 seasons, does mean he isnt a good QB and doesnt mean that he will never win a superbowl.

In this past 2 years only 2 QBs have won the superbowl (Eli and Flacco). Thats just how it is, all the good QBs cant win a superbowl every year. Ryan is still a good QB and right now he is definitely in the top 8, probably #6.

Exactly. And about 95% of people would have said he was a better QB than Flacco. He still is but the Ravens have a better all around team.

My Top 10 right now

1. Tom Brady (Has not won the big one in a while, but not his fault. He never made the critical mistake to lose the big one. See Welker for that)

2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Drew Brees

4. Big Ben (I don't care if you don't like him as a person, he gets it done)

5. Flacco (Would have been in the SB the previous year, not his fault. See Lee Evans for that)

6. Eli (Finds his way to the Big one and balls out while he's there)

7-10. is a crap shoot...Cam, RG, Luck, Ryan, Kap

32. Fitzpatrick

My Top 10 right now

1. Tom Brady (Has not won the big one in a while, but not his fault. He never made the critical mistake to lose the big one. See Welker for that)

2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Drew Brees

5. Flacco (Would have been in the SB the previous year, not his fault. See Lee Evans for that)

32. Fitzpatrick

P. Manning?

I'm actually not ignoring it. I just think he's a regular season hero, who can never get it done in the playoffs. Hell, the only reason the team he beat for his only playoff win was even in the game was because of his turnovers. If Pete Carrol didn't call that time out, another Falcons playoff loss would've been all his fault.

Flacco also wins in the playoffs. Consistently. How anyone can put Ryan over Flacco now, especially after this year, is ridiculous.

Why put Peyton on your list then?

To answer your question: Look at his last 3 seasons.... http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanMa00.htm.

He had a 68.6 completion percentage last year. He's one of the best in the league right now, and he's only 27. His rating has improved every season in the last four. How can you argue a 99 rating? Jesus, this topic is stupid.

My Top 10 right now

2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Drew Brees

32. Fitzpatrick

I gotta agree with this list. What amazes me is people undervaluing roethlisberger. He is clearly a top-5 QB.

fitz at 32-- funny but unnecessary shot. Sanchez, weedon, Skelton, gabbert, cassell are all worse.

Exactly. And about 95% of people would have said he was a better QB than Flacco. He still is but the Ravens have a better all around team.

He's not a better QB then Flacco, play off wins are more important than a regular season record. Flacco has recorded less picks than Ryan in the post season.

Oh so your argument is based on hopes and dreams? You get ranked higher when you do more, that's the point of a ranking. I didn't say the guy was a bad QB or he would never win a Superbowl, you're putting words in my mouth. If Matty Ice wins the SB and goes 19-0 next year after putting up tremendous numbers, he'll get ranked higher. Based on his accomplishments, there are 9 other QB's who are better than him in production.

"You can't rank Matt Cassel 30th just because he never won a Superbowl, he still might"

C'mon now.

Matty Ice is easily a top 6 QB. I don't even have to say anything else.

You mean like any kind of argument, thanks for letting me know.

To answer your question: Look at his last 3 seasons.... http://www.pro-footb...R/RyanMa00.htm.

He had a 68.6 completion percentage last year. He's one of the best in the league right now, and he's only 27. His rating has improved every season in the last four. How can you argue a 99 rating? Jesus, this topic is stupid.

Because putting up numbers doesn't make you the best. Just ask Cam Newton, he puts up tremendous numbers and still loses. There's this part of the season, at the end, where all of the good teams compete against each other. Whoever's the best of the best wins this end-goal game called the Superbowl. I think that matters a little bit when considering QB play.

Peyton is on the list because he's won the Superbowl with great long-term production. Matty Ice has not won the Superbowl, but still has some good production. Peyton is better.