Aaron Williams on his way to Buffalo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something to consider:

Pettine has ran a lot of scheme variations. Including lots of 3-3-5, and even plenty of instances of 1-3-7.

Without fully breaking down the Xs and Os, what that could (and likely does) mean is that we will see plenty of 3-safety formations. Da'Norris Searcy (whom everyone is forgetting about) figures to be in the mix too.

If you look at Pettine's tenure with the Jets, you can easily imagine Searcy, Williams, and Byrd on the field at the same time, all essentially playing a safety position.

I still think they are taking a hard look at bringing someone else in (either through FA or the draft), and I wouldn't be surprised if there are 3 safeties on the roster besides Williams, whether or not they designate him as such.

This^

There is nothing better than calling a guy after 2 years a bust. Eric Moulds was a bust after 2 years. So was Spiller. So was Stevie Johnson (7th rounder but still). The list goes on and on.

He may well be a bust but I never got why people have such hard ons to be the first ones to call players busts.

Because early #2 picks should be starters and play well.. if he were a 3,4,5,6 then it would be different.

Also Like Bill mentioned, Nix took this kid and passed up QB's who would have made a huge impact. Face facts, it shouldn't take 2+ years to develop a DB!

Edited by FeartheLosing

Here's something to consider:

Pettine has ran a lot of scheme variations. Including lots of 3-3-5, and even plenty of instances of 1-3-7.

Without fully breaking down the Xs and Os, what that could (and likely does) mean is that we will see plenty of 3-safety formations. Da'Norris Searcy (whom everyone is forgetting about) figures to be in the mix too.

If you look at Pettine's tenure with the Jets, you can easily imagine Searcy, Williams, and Byrd on the field at the same time, all essentially playing a safety position.

I still think they are taking a hard look at bringing someone else in (either through FA or the draft), and I wouldn't be surprised if there are 3 safeties on the roster besides Williams, whether or not they designate him as such.

The Captain beat me to it. But this^ should be considered. Not sure about bringing a FA depending on how they feel after " chopping it up " : )

Pettine will put 3 safeties in.

But mostly i am sticking to the Let's see how A W does with the new regime.

Actually every freaking player on the team is on hold with me till preseason and they start paring down.

Edited by 3rdand12

Exactly. 1 More Season to determine his fate!

yes please, he was considered high ceiling when drafted

Agree with you, it's downright scary how bad some of his plays were. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this resurrection at safety occurs.

I cant deny this, very poor play was noticed by every NFL team we played against and the used to advantage.

Brutal season for the kid

Aaron Williams needs to bulk up to to move in the box to be that extra safety. Bryan Scott is 6'1 220#, George Wilson is 6', 214. A.Williams is 6'0, 199#.

His speed is not great, and he is pretty strong. But. I really want to see where he lines up.

Your point is taken, but otoh, AW has absolutely nothing good to point at in terms of his entire body of work. There really is nothing. He was consistently beat by virtually every receiver he attempted to cover.

What is WAY worse (and not his fault at all) is the fact that we passed on quarterbacks who can play in order to draft him. Icing on the ugly cake is that Nix said that he had offers to trade down in every round in that draft.

Imo, Williams is symbolic of almost all of what is wrong with this franchise. He's a modern day Whitner.

There are three constants in life:

1) death

2) taxes

3) and bill lamenting the drafting of a corner/safety.

I have no position on Aaron Wms until he plays under a good scheme. But you can't compare him to Moulds or Spiller. Williams played way more than Spiller and especially Moulds. He does have an NFL Body of work and it's not very good. The others were still pretty much unknowns until their 3rd years.

But it's early to call him a bust.

Words of wisdom.

I particularly agree that it's very hard to evaluate players on a poorly coached team.

Wannstedt might have been the worst defensive coordinator the Bills have ever had.

That said, the early returns on Aaron Williams are not encouraging.

I don't know why it is, but nearly everything Ye Ole posts makes me laugh, or at the very least, chuckle.

Sometimes he merely makes me smile.

Seems like a good guy.

Aaron Williams needs to bulk up to to move in the box to be that extra safety. Bryan Scott is 6'1 220#, George Wilson is 6', 214. A.Williams is 6'0, 199#.

His speed is not great, and he is pretty strong. But. I really want to see where he lines up.

i would like to see him become an imposing tackler. He looked so unsure last year.

I think he would do well against the run or crossing route underneath once he bulks up AND gets some confidence going.

Keeps plays in front of him he might be alright.

The one thing i have no idea about. Is he smart enough to play safety ?

I have concerns.

Here's an idea, maybe our defensive coordinator looked so bad because he had players like Williams and Dareus.

But I do like BillsWatch's line: Only ones without a bust are Jills

Is that a compliment or a complaint about the Jills (lack of bust)!!!

i would like to see him become an imposing tackler. He looked so unsure last year.

I think he would do well against the run or crossing route underneath once he bulks up AND gets some confidence going.

Keeps plays in front of him he might be alright.

The one thing i have no idea about. Is he smart enough to play safety ?

I have concerns.

He looked uncomfortable more so then lacking confidence. I do not know if he can take the angles he needs to attack down hill.

His hip movement prohibits him from keeping up with the WR once he makes his bump. I would think that if he plays off the DL, letting the first level guy chip his opponent he has a chance to lay his hands on the guy again. Unfortunately, like B.Scott showed up, a little guy in the box gets mugged. Pettine using him to play off the hip of an ILB might be a good idea and I have been thinking of this formation for a while.

If two defenders are too close together then they make an easy target, especially if one of their strengths is speed. If we had a Ray Lewis MLB then we could put a little guy anywhere. However, we don't. We don't have a DL that can support a weak link in the box.

A.Williams, if he among the best athletes on the D, will be on the field.

He looked uncomfortable more so then lacking confidence. I do not know if he can take the angles he needs to attack down hill.

His hip movement prohibits him from keeping up with the WR once he makes his bump. I would think that if he plays off the DL, letting the first level guy chip his opponent he has a chance to lay his hands on the guy again. Unfortunately, like B.Scott showed up, a little guy in the box gets mugged. Pettine using him to play off the hip of an ILB might be a good idea and I have been thinking of this formation for a while.

If two defenders are too close together then they make an easy target, especially if one of their strengths is speed. If we had a Ray Lewis MLB then we could put a little guy anywhere. However, we don't. We don't have a DL that can support a weak link in the box.

A.Williams, if he among the best athletes on the D, will be on the field.

Yep the switching hips has been issue, trouble turning. And then make up speed some have mentioned. He seems to do better as a press coverage maybe. i think Gilmore is quite suited for that, yet Wannstadt played a cushion so much.

Do you think Williams up on the line would be a better corner ?

Attack angles can be coached i would think. The hips not so much?

looking forward. But if they dump him i will be shocked again by the new staff.

When do the voluntary workouts begin ?

Buffalobillsgirl any updates ?

Yep the switching hips has been issue, trouble turning. And then make up speed some have mentioned. He seems to do better as a press coverage maybe. i think Gilmore is quite suited for that, yet Wannstadt played a cushion so much.

Do you think Williams up on the line would be a better corner ?

Attack angles can be coached i would think. The hips not so much?

looking forward. But if they dump him i will be shocked again by the new staff.

When do the voluntary workouts begin ?

Buffalobillsgirl any updates ?

See it is so funny, because closing speed is not catch up speed. Closing speed is getting there and catching up. Closing speed is putting the period at the end of the sentence. When the ball is in the air and the player loses his stride or misses a beat A.Williams gets there with some heat - however, as we have seen in the NFL this means crap when your QB gets you the ball long and on stride. His forte in college was closing speed, which is why I avoid many CB's who use this in their tool box. It don't work in the NFL.

Technique can get you so far. Speed cannot be coached but can be improved. Hips can be a coachable fix but not easily. There are a number of exercises you can use to get the hips to the work with the angles - but I am not sure how much the coaches will want to work with him. (I do not think they will give up on a 2nd year player.)

I cannot imagine them cutting him. If they did it, it might be the closest I will come to quitting this team. I do not care if they succeed in a few years. I just cannot imagine them cutting so many players out of the gate and releasing a 2nd year player who was just a starter last year is unfathomable.

I see A.Williams inside the hashes. His speed, unless something was drastically f'd up last year, prevents him from playing outside football. He HAS to be in a position where the action stays in front of him but he cannot be the player to take the angles to stop a barreling RB. There needs to be true SS and a FS to pair with A.Williams.

I have probably said it before in other posts but I want to see Byrd covering the top, an umbrella that nothing gets behind and can get to where it is going. Byrd lacks speed but he has instinct and that is enough to get him by. If we brought in LaRon Landry we could easily slide A.Williams in to the box, slide him around the middle and put him as a Rover/Monster. I think Bryan Scott was more athletic then A.Williams, Scott was also top end speed faster. A.Wiliams, though, can find a spot on this defense and if Pettine cannot make one for him then I will be shocked.

BuffaloBillsGrl is Luke Russerts Mom???

Because early #2 picks should be starters and play well.. if he were a 3,4,5,6 then it would be different....

:lol: Good one!

.....Nix took this kid and passed up QB's who would have made a huge impact....

Good point! Highly pertinent to him being a bust or not.

...Face facts, it shouldn't take 2+ years to develop a DB!...

It's obviously a fact.....every true fan knows it. If only the players would pay attention to it we'd be alright.