Alex Smith traded to Chiefs

Rubes

Can't believe 9ers swiped a 2nd + conditional for him. Look for them to offer jets pick (s) for revis. Makes so much sense for both teams

The perks of a qb playing for peanuts this year.

If they just traded their backup qb for a year of revis, and possibly more..... What a deal it would be.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe 9ers swiped a 2nd + conditional for him. Look for them to offer jets pick (s) for revis. Makes so much sense for both teams

Technically (and I think you know this) the trade can't be made until March 12.

Until then nothing is guaranteed and in fact there are rumors that other teams are contemplating sweetening the pot for Smith.

I think it still goes down as advertised but it's not official, FWIW.

The perks of a qb playing for peanuts this year.

If they just traded their backup qb for a year of revis, and possibly more..... What a deal it would be.

I'd say something close to that is most probable outcome right now. They can give their 1st round + one of their 3rds to jets. Jets can run around advertising they got a 1st for him. But that 1st is 31st overall, a mere 3 spots ahead of the 34st they will get from chiefs. So trading with chiefs is what enabled this and allowed them to essentially keep their 1st. Amazing. Jets need it because rookie salary cap only room they have and maybe they get a pair of starters with 9ers 1st and 3rd. Banking on exceptional drafting is a necessity for jets.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

So now ll the Geno Smith fans are going nuts hoping he falls to the Bills. Alls i can think of with what is coming out at the position this year is

1) We will reach for a QB this year & once again watch a dominant defensive player be taken that was there at our pick & go to another team & be a corner stone on their D for years to come ala Nata, Mathews, Orapko !!

2) We will get a QB that can't play very well in bad weather - welcome to Buffalo !!

3) We will be in the Losman position for the next 4 years, current coaches won't be here & he will have 2 to 3 different OC while in his rookie contract cementing his legacy in B/Lo ...

Hope i'm wrong ???

I know. The one year that we seem to be committed to finally picking a QB happens to possibly be the worst QB class ever.............I really would have given a 2nd for Alex Smith myself. I think KC will be better off with him than whoever we get for QB.

Quarterbacks like this don't come on the market very often, and when one does, you grab him. Smith gives the Chiefs a chance. To illustrate the point, I have put all 32 starting quarterbacks into four categories:

Franchise Guys (12)

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck, Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan

Guys You Know You Can Win With (7)

Jay Cutler, Cam Newton, Philip Rivers, Matthew Stafford, Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Alex Smith

Mystery Guys (6)

Ryan Tannehill, Sam Bradford, Josh Freeman, Andy Dalton, Mike Vick, Christian Ponder

Guys (7)

The Buffalo guy, the Arizona guy, the Raiders' guy, the Browns' guy, the Jets' guy(s), the Titans' guy, the Jags' guy

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130227/alex-smith-trade-kansas-city-chiefs-san-francisco-49ers/#ixzz2MAYBCreP

Quarterbacks like this don't come on the market very often, and when one does, you grab him. Smith gives the Chiefs a chance. To illustrate the point, I have put all 32 starting quarterbacks into four categories:

Franchise Guys (12)

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck, Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan

Guys You Know You Can Win With (7)

Jay Cutler, Cam Newton, Philip Rivers, Matthew Stafford, Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Alex Smith

Mystery Guys (6)

Ryan Tannehill, Sam Bradford, Josh Freeman, Andy Dalton, Mike Vick, Christian Ponder

Guys (7)

The Buffalo guy, the Arizona guy, the Raiders' guy, the Browns' guy, the Jets' guy(s), the Titans' guy, the Jags' guy

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2MAYBCreP

Why all the bold? It's making my eyes go funny. :bag:

KC got raped.

I was anticipating a bidding war and KC having to give up a first round choice. The deal sounds pretty good to me. Reid knows that the business is a show me now business (except in Buffalo) and probably figured the quickest turnaround was to get a game ready qb who could manage the team from day one and bring in a winning record in year one. I think he bargained well. We'll see what Smith has left in the tank next year.

shows you what Reid thinks of 2013 QB class too. Unless they trade the pick, be first time since 08 (Jake Long Miami) QB doesn't go #1 overall.

Producing first rounders of Matt Ryan and joe flacco.

Another "weak qb class" being Alex smith himself who I think in a better situation from the get go would've been atleast productive even if not a franchise guy, and Aaron Rodgers

It really is a crapshoot at times.

Edited by NoSaint

It's gotta between KC and Tampa for worst track record trying to solve qb long term. I am talking franchise history not just recent history. Detroit gets honorable mention

Packers, colts and niners have been reduculously good.

I never thought of that. In ten years, I bet you can say that the Colts had 3 of the top 10 of all time - Unitas, Manning and Luck. And, those first two are in the top 5 already. And, Bert Jones could have been great but seemed plagued by injuries. I think Earl Morrall won an MVP with them, as well.

I'm not crazy about Smith, but a 2nd round pick, more often than not ends up being a Torrell Troup, or Aaron Williams, or Roscoe Parrish. The 34th pick, for a guy that has at least won some games isn't so bad. I didn't want the Bills to get Smith, but I think it's a justifiable trade.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Anyone else find the notion of trading pick #34 for Alex smith really comical? Poor kc fans

No, not really. They don't have a QB and obviously decided that Smith + keeping the #1 pick was a better option than spending the #1 pick on one of the high risk rookies.

I'm not crazy about Smith, but a 2nd round pick, more often than not ends up being a Terrell Troup, or Aaron Williams, or Roscoe Parrish. The 34th pick, for a guy that has at least won some games isn't so bad. I didn't want the Bills to get Smith, but I think it's a justifiable trade.

Exactly. People seem to be forgetting that the draft is a total crap shoot and a huge % of guys drafted never amount to anything.

I think Mr. Rosenberg is being pretty presumptive adding RGIII and Russel Wilson to the "frachise" list, but otherwise...no news here.

True. I also don't think Kaepernick should be on there either. SF was winning with him and without him. Plus, he's played so little. Teams may still figure him out.

Don't be surprised if the Chiefs still draft a QB in round 1 or 2 (probably 2). I thought Cousins would be available to the Bills last year but after drafting RG III, the 'skins drafted Cousins too.

Cousins WAS available into, what, the 4th round? I think that if the Bills had wanted him, they'd have drafted him.

Be careful with declaring him to be great based on 1 start where the opposition had no scouting on him in the NFL. Yes, he played well for one game. I remember when Dennis Shaw was rookie of the year for the Bills at QB. He was never heard from again.