Bill Polian loves Marrone

“Every general manager, as George Allen used to say, keeps a list in his right-hand drawer of potential head-coaching candidates, because situations do occur,” said former Bills General Manager and current ESPN analyst Bill Polian. “... I can tell you Doug Marrone was No. 1 on my list and I’m certain that he was very high on a lot of other lists in the National Football League.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130222/SPORTS/130229641/two-bills-drive-1004

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm such a patsy as I really am excited. Even if they resign Levitre Byrd, how do they address so many needs to be competitive? We need 1-2 LBs, a CB, a QB, a WR, and a TE. I wish we would accept we're in a build, buy one free agent who is young, cut Fitz to save the money along with Kelsey, and use the draft to pick up these needs. We can get a QB late as a back up, and we infuse a ton of talent on the team if we hit on the first three rounds. We accept TJ for QB, and go for a franchise guy next year. The only QB maybe who is worth it this year is Tyler Wilson.

I just would rather do what San Fran did and keep picking the best available guy each year. One of the reasons Harbaugh turned the program around is he had a very talented team when he walked in and look what happens with excellent coaching.

I'm such a patsy as I really am excited. Even if they resign Levitre Byrd, how do they address so many needs to be competitive? We need 1-2 LBs, a CB, a QB, a WR, and a TE. I wish we would accept we're in a build, buy one free agent who is young, cut Fitz to save the money along with Kelsey, and use the draft to pick up these needs. We can get a QB late as a back up, and we infuse a ton of talent on the team if we hit on the first three rounds. We accept TJ for QB, and go for a franchise guy next year. The only QB maybe who is worth it this year is Tyler Wilson.

I just would rather do what San Fran did and keep picking the best available guy each year. One of the reasons Harbaugh turned the program around is he had a very talented team when he walked in and look what happens with excellent coaching.

We only have a couple clear cut needs. QB is hands down #1 and nothing on this team changes till that is addressed. I would have thought all the years from 1996 till now would show fans and the front office this, but apperantly not.

WR, LB those are the other two clear cut needs. There is enough talent on here with the right systems to get a wildcard spot THIS year if those are addressed, but since Fitz still is on this roster and has a chance to compete........

These endorsements are a little worrisome. It seems as if people are trying to put at ease many Bills fans initial concerns/reactions to the hire.

Kudos to Brandon going out and getting all the sound bites from different players, coaches, and league people.

It is better than people saying something like 'i did not think he was HC material, or not sure he is ready yet'.

We only have a couple clear cut needs. QB is hands down #1 and nothing on this team changes till that is addressed. I would have thought all the years from 1996 till now would show fans and the front office this, but apperantly not.

Obviously they just won't address the QB position. i wish they would just wake up and listen to the fans and realize "Hey we need a great QB", and then go get one. I mean how damn hard is it to address this problem and go get a franchise Quarterback? It's like they just won't admit we need one. I'm just so sick of it. Every other team has a franchise Quarterback except us. Do they not see it's our number one need? I know they do it on purpose. They say they want one, but they won't do what it takes to do it.

I've got real talent at reading people - and one of the BIGGEST factors for success in the NFL, especially now, is INTELLIGENCE. Why has N.E. beaten the snot out of Buffalo for so many years? Yes - they have Brady. But far more importantly, they have Bellicheck. The guy is so smart. He knows what other teams are likely to do, and he always throws things at a team they aren't expecting. Most anyone who has watched NE play as much as Bills fans have been forced to would admit as much. YET - how many coaches has Buffalo had who were even remotely close enough to outsmart, or out game plan, or out prepare the Pats? In the last 15 years - just about never.

Other things are important - like San Fran's Harbaugh brother and his "Passion" - that is contagious. Discipline, accountability, daring. Those qualities are good and essential. The need to contend, not just for a playoff spot, or for an "improved" record, but the need to be great, to be the best - that, too, is a critical characteristic.

Anyway, Marrone has smarts - the guy is very intelligent. That gives me a TON of hope for us. Follow that up with he's also been a player, and can relate to these guys first hand. Then you've got his awesome handling of the Defensive Coordinator spot. So far he's done everything we could hope. Sure, his handling of the Qb position is going to matter a lot, but so far, he's as good as advertised.

These endorsements are a little worrisome. It seems as if people are trying to put at ease many Bills fans initial concerns/reactions to the hire.

Kudos to Brandon going out and getting all the sound bites from different players, coaches, and league people.

It is better than people saying something like 'i did not think he was HC material, or not sure he is ready yet'.

So I guess if nobody said anything about the hire you'd be ranting about how no one is saying anything about the new coach? It takes a large leap that guys praising a guy is a huge conspiracy orchestrated by Brandon to get guys whom he has no apparent ties or connection with to say good things about his coaching hire.

I've got real talent at reading people - and one of the BIGGEST factors for success in the NFL, especially now, is INTELLIGENCE. Why has N.E. beaten the snot out of Buffalo for so many years? Yes - they have Brady. But far more importantly, they have Bellicheck. The guy is so smart.

I think you're nuts. If we trade Fitz for Brady the tables turn immediately.

I think you're nuts. If we trade Fitz for Brady the tables turn immediately.

Way to not prove your point. Belicheat would never ever go for that. Why not use any one of the infinite hypotheticals that will never happen to prove that in reality, Belicheat is one of the best coaches in the game today. It would be wise to emulate some of his moves given his level of success.

Considering that Polian and Marone attended the same high school, Polian may have a bias. Still good the hear though.

That's silly logic. I went to high school with Naaman Roosevelt, yet I don't think he is a good NFL prospect

Way to not prove your point. Belicheat would never ever go for that. Why not use any one of the infinite hypotheticals that will never happen to prove that in reality, Belicheat is one of the best coaches in the game today. It would be wise to emulate some of his moves given his level of success.

Why don't you prove Belichick is "more important" than Brady? You're the one calling him a cheat, but then want me to bow down to him without Brady.

“Every general manager, as George Allen used to say, keeps a list in his right-hand drawer of potential head-coaching candidates, because situations do occur,” said former Bills General Manager and current ESPN analyst Bill Polian. “... I can tell you Doug Marrone was No. 1 on my list and I’m certain that he was very high on a lot of other lists in the National Football League.”

http://www.buffalone...ills-drive-1004

Meh.......Polian loved Dick Jauron as a head coach too.

i think we really need to have some perspective on Bill Polian.

Polian had two strengths as a GM:

1)He understood that you needed a QB first

2)He was bold and decisive

The first point is really all he needed to succeed.

When he took over the Bills and he knew Jim Kelly wanted no part of Buffalo, he could have done the easy thing and traded his rights. He did not.

When he started the Panthers he took a chance on Kerry Collins and a year later his Panthers were playing in the NFC Championship.

He took the Colts job knowing that he had an opportunity to draft Manning(or Leaf) and made the right decision.

Other than that, his work as a gm was nothing spectacular..... so I always take what he says about players and coaches with a grain, to say the least.....but you just can't undervalue being smart enough to know that nothing else matters much if you don't have the QB.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

but would you think he's a worse prospect if he went to another school? :D

I don't think he belongs on an NFL roster. I am still working on my rankings of people not employed with the league I'd have to go back to you with that when I am done.

Obviously they just won't address the QB position. i wish they would just wake up and listen to the fans and realize "Hey we need a great QB", and then go get one. I mean how damn hard is it to address this problem and go get a franchise Quarterback? It's like they just won't admit we need one. I'm just so sick of it. Every other team has a franchise Quarterback except us. Do they not see it's our number one need? I know they do it on purpose. They say they want one, but they won't do what it takes to do it.

Your credibility just went to negative infinity.