Byrd Update

iommi

This really needs to go away. Men on a message board repeatedly quoting the awkward fusion of popular parlance w/ Supreme court lingo by the awkward compromise between man & lesbian that is Elena Kagan, offends the senses.

Referencing Elena Kagan in a Jarius Byrd thread. The Wows have it.

Anyways, I think a few people are confusing a free safety with a strong safety that plays in the box. Byrd is a FS.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 4yr 28.5mil contract should lock up byrd and keep him a bill...as for levitre I hope bills let him walk if he truly wants 8to 10 mil per....hes a guard no way you pay that much for a guard.

Welcome to the new nfl. Many teams do in fact pay that to keep their qbs face clean. If he can step up in the pocket you don't have to worry about TE outside Rush near as much

Byrd has created 28 turnovers in his first 4 years.

Ed Reed created 26 turnovers in his first 4 years.

Yeah, Byrd is just an average player.

And look at the defense Reed played with! Byrd has done it almost single-handedly.

Well we dont really have a QB worth protecting now do we? lol

CBF

hopefully in about 8 weeks we will have one, and keeping pass rushers out of his face will be appreciated for his development.

unless you like that deer in headlights look in your rookies.

Couldn't disagree more.

That makes 2 of us. I'm sure hundreds and thousands of us probably couldn't disagree more regarding Byrd. On the other hand, I think replacing Levitre won't be as easy as some think. He's as durable and versatile as they come. He's a very good run blocker and will be missed. The only way we upgrade that position is he leaves is if we take Warmack in the 1st or get lucky on a later draft pick. Levitre is the best guard available in free agency IMO.

Here's the thing. Byrd and Levitre have BOTH graded out as the best FA in their respective postions.

That's gonna make it tough to keep either.

It's my firm opinion we need to put extra effort into keeping them both. Moreso Jairus

I have said that we will have both next year.

Those that discount him...

Your and idiot s.

all of you. no clue whatsomever.

wow is the word

Edited by 3rdand12

A 4yr 28.5mil contract should lock up byrd and keep him a bill...as for levitre I hope bills let him walk if he truly wants 8to 10 mil per....hes a guard no way you pay that much for a guard.

A good ballhawk FS is a lot harder to come by than a good OG. IMO.

Therefore, if it comes down to one or the other, I keep Byrd and let levitre walk.

Especially when we just cut george wilson. Letting byrd walk would leave our already questionable secondary in shambles. And pettines defense requires a damn good secondary to be effective.

Byrd needs to be our #1 FA priority this offseason.

If you have to choose between Levitre and Byrd (and I hope we don't) I would take Byrd. I think it's more difficult to find a pro-bowl safety than an above-average guard. Levitre is great, don't get me wrong, but I think the "hit" this team would take would be less if they lost Levitre.

And have the people that say Byrd can't tackle, have they watched the games?!?! Also, how do you force 4 fumbles if your a bad hitter?!?! This is again why I think it's harder to replace Byrd than Levitre. Both are great, Byrd is better at a harder to fill position.

First of all I want to say that I want the Bills to keep both Byrd & Levitre.

What I want to say to the three of you about Levitre is this:

I want you all to remember what the Bills O-Line was like before Levitre & Eric Wood got here. Think of the O-Line players that have been on the Bills for the past 10 seasons. I want you to remember long and hard about those previous players, especially the OG's.

Now tell me how easy it would be for the Bills to replace Levitre.

First of all I want to say that I want the Bills to keep both Byrd & Levitre.

What I want to say to the three of you about Levitre is this:

I want you all to remember what the Bills O-Line was like before Levitre & Eric Wood got here. Think of the O-Line players that have been on the Bills for the past 10 seasons. I want you to remember long and hard about those previous players, especially the OG's.

Awesome post, Mark.

Perhaps it would be instructive for those minimalizing the loss of Levitre to read this thread:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/155600-the-53-year-anniversary-bills-wall-of-shame-awards/

Really? You obviously missed the 8 or so years in the desert before Levitre was drafted, then.

That makes 2 of us. I'm sure hundreds and thousands of us probably couldn't disagree more regarding Byrd. On the other hand, I think replacing Levitre won't be as easy as some think. He's as durable and versatile as they come. He's a very good run blocker and will be missed. The only way we upgrade that position is he leaves is if we take Warmack in the 1st or get lucky on a later draft pick. Levitre is the best guard available in free agency IMO.

Plus it's a great idea to create holes so you have to use draft picks to fill those, instead of the myriad holes you already have.

I want you all to remember what the Bills O-Line was like before Gailey got here.

Fixed. Fitz might not be able to hit the broad side of a barn, but he does get rid of the ball fast.

He's ranked as what, the 14th best guard in the league? I hate to rain on the Levitre lovefest, but I honestly think Louis Vasquez might even be a slight upgrade. He's a massive man (6'5" 335), 1 year younger, and a much more physical player.

Really? You obviously missed the 8 or so years in the desert before Levitre was drafted, then.

You might have missed the last 30 or so years, as we haven't had a ballhawk since Green in the 70s.

Having said all that, I want Levitre back assuming we can sign him to a fair deal.

Levitre is way more important then Byrd

Byrd is overrated in a lot of fans eyes simply bc he gets interceptions every now and them but overall is nothing special and offers almost nothing in run support

Levitre on the other hand is the Bills best lineman on a team that finally has a decent line after a decade of slop

Dude you are out of your mind, we need Byrd for the 3-4 defense. Levitre can walk will find another interior lieman.

Dude you are out of your mind, we need Byrd for the 3-4 defense. Levitre can walk will find another interior lieman.

For the 3-4 defense? We need Byrd for every defense. We're going to be running a lot of different formations. Can't wait to see what Pettine does to this D! So exciting compared to the ultra boring scheme stache drew up.

Fixed. Fitz might not be able to hit the broad side of a barn, but he does get rid of the ball fast.

He's ranked as what, the 14th best guard in the league? I hate to rain on the Levitre lovefest, but I honestly think Louis Vasquez might even be a slight upgrade. He's a massive man (6'5" 335), 1 year younger, and a much more physical player.

Yes, Fitz gets rid of the ball fast. There were also numerous times this year when Fitz had all day to throw due to the protection he was getting and Levitre was a part of that.

Last i checked Levitre was the 8th ranked guard in the league, but there are various sites with different rankings.

I hear Mike Pucillo, Bennie Anderson, Trey Teague and Derrick Dockery are available.

And if they aren't good enough, there is always Melvin Fowler & Duke Preston.

I hear Mike Pucillo, Bennie Anderson, Trey Teague and Derrick Dockery are available.

Yup - we were awful at picking interior lineman 5-10 years ago.

The rest of the league seemed to fair better though, as have our current guys.

I don't think levitre will be easy to replace and I do want to keep him (even at high costs) but I do think many of you are all out of perspective from watching poor choices and poor players at the guard position. It's not the rocket science it once seemed to be.

Edited by NoSaint