testing drivers on marijuana

truth on hold

I was wondering the same. Why go to all that effort and not test the subjects periphery abilities & reaction times? I would have liked to seen them have to react to something "popping" out/in front of them.

I'd say that if you can't drive slowly around a few cones when you are very stoned......you likely can't react too well to something unforeseen when you are basically stoned.

In terms of the amounts.....it's been a good 20 years since I've smoked but the amounts people are talking about so far in this thread was not what I was used to.

0.4g for a pipe? We used to pack down many multiples of "party cones"(bigger) in one sitting on a regular basis. Basically the smoking equivalent of binge drinking. Then we'd go out for munchies.

Being young and stupid, none of us considered it overly dangerous. My Brother(a moron) used to convince people that you were actually safer driving while stoned as you were constantly paranoid, therefore constantly checking everything you did. Even after he scraped the side of a parked car he maintained this delusion.

Drugs are bad M'kay?

We did binge smoking in college too. We called them nickle or dime parties. Nickle parties everyone pitched in $5 and dime parties $10. We'd pool the money and go out and buy however much weed we could get. from the money collected We'd sit on the floor and load the bong up and go around and around and smoke it until it was gone. We'd get massively wasted and it sure beat studying.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering the same. Why go to all that effort and not test the subjects periphery abilities & reaction times? I would have liked to seen them have to react to something "popping" out/in front of them.

I'd say that if you can't drive slowly around a few cones when you are very stoned......you likely can't react too well to something unforeseen when you are basically stoned.

In terms of the amounts.....it's been a good 20 years since I've smoked but the amounts people are talking about so far in this thread was not what I was used to.

0.4g for a pipe? We used to pack down many multiples of "party cones"(bigger) in one sitting on a regular basis. Basically the smoking equivalent of binge drinking. Then we'd go out for munchies.

Being young and stupid, none of us considered it overly dangerous. My Brother(a moron) used to convince people that you were actually safer driving while stoned as you were constantly paranoid, therefore constantly checking everything you did. Even after he scraped the side of a parked car he maintained this delusion.

Drugs are bad M'kay?

Well I'm not really speaking in groups, that's usually for me and one of my roommates after a rough day of work. You'd also have to take into account how much stronger the stuff is these days. @ $15/gram you have to be careful or else you'd be spending a TONN of money.

People have all sorts of loser habits and pot is just one of them. It is a bad one, yes, but people drink, gamble, and do lots of other loser activities too. The difference I find is that the pot heads continuously try to justify their own actions in an apparent effort to reduce guilt. It makes me wonder if pot somehow triggers a guilt response that other drugs/habits do not. I don't really care because the only way it impacts me is I have to listen to pot heads yammer away. Annoying yes, but they are easily ignored.

You know who probably cares more than I do?

The guy carrying the grocery bag. Oh wait, he doesn't care. He's dead.

People have all sorts of loser habits and pot is just one of them. It is a bad one, yes, but people drink, gamble, and do lots of other loser activities too. The difference I find is that the pot heads continuously try to justify their own actions in an apparent effort to reduce guilt. It makes me wonder if pot somehow triggers a guilt response that other drugs/habits do not. I don't really care because the only way it impacts me is I have to listen to pot heads yammer away. Annoying yes, but they are easily ignored.

UPDATE: http://www.katu.com/news/local/Charges-dropped-against-driver-in-deadly-Vancouver-crash-184189791.html

Thanks for sharing 4merpermerper.......guess what though some enjoy your "loser" habits.....gambling, smoking pot, drinking can be a fun Friday night for someone who worked there 40 hours already.

Also you have a pothead neighbor whose house is 3x larger than yours and runs a successful buisness. Who's the loser now ? The successful stoner or the clean living stone-thrower?

Don't generalize please..... Some are responsible and are doing just fine.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Thanks for sharing 4merpermerper.......guess what though some enjoy loser habits.....gambling, smoking pot, drinking can be a fun Friday night for someone who worked there 40 hours already.

Also you have a pothead neighbor whose house is 3x larger than yours and runs a successful buisness. Who's the loser now ?

Don't generalize please..... Some are responsible and are doing just fine.

Agreed. I work two jobs all year long, and three depending on the time of the year. I like to come home relax and smoke a bowl occasionally. I don't feel that it's all that harmful, if like anything else, done responsibly.

I think there is some truth to this. When I smoked pot - a few times a week or so in high school, I always felt very guilty. I also drank every weekend, and never felt guilty at all about it.

Might just be me, but what you said hit home.

I really enjoy this kind of judgement from someone on a message board. So working full time and school part time, I shouldn't have the right to sit back and unwind on the weekend?

Oh, Jesus.

Care to take into consideration the number of pedestrians killed by cars NOT driven by people on weed?

-or-

The number of people driving on pot who DON'T kill pedestrians?

Or is this all the evidence you need?

Why would I feel guilty for smoking some weed? Try not to judge so much, 80% of the people i know smoke and they are far from losers, a few make much more in a month then you probably do in a year. And no it's not because they deal. Technically alcohol is worse for you and i dont think any of us feel guilty for downing some once we get home.

On the op's note, I've driven while high and with people who have been stoned out of their mind and never so much as heard or seen an accident out of them. Drunk is another thing but IMO it just depends on your tolerance, first time smokers cant handle too much at all.

Oh, Jesus.

Care to take into consideration the number of pedestrians killed by cars NOT driven by people on weed?

-or-

The number of people driving on pot who DON'T kill pedestrians?

Or is this all the evidence you need?

Really?

You want to make the argument that since a majority of accidents are caused by sober drivers, that it is therefore somehow safer to drive mentally impaired by a drug?

The smartest people I know smoke weed, and there seems to be a correlation- the more weed they smoke, the smarter they are. I am just saying

I think you and your merry band of burn outs should shift your statistical focus toward sampling error. I would love to see how you've calculated this correlation though. Just saying.

I think you and your merry band of burn outs should shift your statistical focus toward sampling error. I would love to see how you've calculated this correlation though. Just saying.

life's experience. It is their immense knowledge regarding quantum mechanics, particle physics, meteorology, engineering, musical genius, masonry, and general all around polymaths. Edited by Pete

life's experience. It is their immense knowledge regarding quantum mechanics, particle physics, meteorology, engineering, musical genius, masonry, and general all around polymaths.

Interesting.

You would have been better off going with "What? Dave's not here man." That would have been far less pathetic and much more entertaining.

life's experience. It is their immense knowledge regarding quantum mechanics, particle physics, meteorology, engineering, musical genius, masonry, and general all around polymaths.

Let me ask you, how many "smart" people that DON'T smoke pot do you hang around with to compare your life's "experience" with. Or better yet, do you hang around with any people that don't smoke pot?

Agreed. I work two jobs all year long, and three depending on the time of the year. I like to come home relax and smoke a bowl occasionally. I don't feel that it's all that harmful, if like anything else, done responsibly.

True, and I think 85-90 of people who smoke fall into this area, including me.

Legalize it for God sakes. There is always going to be a demand for it so tax it and sell it in a city or state run "house" so its safer for everybody involved.