Improved Trade Chart

Astrobot

Alabama's RB Eddie Lacy is a beast.....and will still be there when ST Louis picks at 16 and probably still on the board at 22.

don't see them moving up to #8..........unless they have a different player in mind.

just making note that FA haven't even started yet and teams haven't made surprise cuts yet to save cap room. Anything is possible. Hell, the Bills have moved up into the first round before for John McCargo and they also drafted Donte Whitner. Anything is possible and if the Rams think they might lose their guy to any other team, then why not trade one of their 2 firsts to make sure that doesn't happen. Last year there was -6 moves in the first round, it's going to happen. Probably more. That is all. So sorry I jacked the thread and won't let this stupid topic go. This should be about trade ups in general. Not the stupid Rams.

the 7th in 2013 was for TJ the QB. It could have been hiher based on TJs playing and being on the active roster.

Which, point blank, is the reason he sat the entire year last year.

just making note that FA haven't even started yet and teams haven't made surprise cuts yet to save cap room. Anything is possible. Hell, the Bills have moved up into the first round before for John McCargo and they also drafted Donte Whitner. Anything is possible and if the Rams think they might lose their guy to any other team, then why not trade one of their 2 firsts to make sure that doesn't happen. Last year there was -6 moves in the first round, it's going to happen. Probably more. That is all. So sorry I jacked the thread and won't let this stupid topic go. This should be about trade ups in general. Not the stupid Rams.

The rookie salary wage scale was a godsend to those who love to trade in the first round (GMs included). There no longer is the spectre of outrageous top 10 contracts looming on Draft Day. Other than make a handful of elite (and not-so-elite) players and their agents barrels of cash, the worst thing about the old system was that the cost of signing a top 10 rookie effectively prevented teams from making deals. It makes things like the draft value charts relevant again.

So, does Oakland still have the rights to Jamarcus Russell and will Nix give up a 4th rounder for them? :bag:

They moved up into the end of the first round and picked up Nick Mangold! ...er..oh wait, no, that was what I was thinking, not the Bills....

<Edited because I am Losing my mind...!>

Edited by Matt in KC

Which, point blank, is the reason he sat the entire year last year.

The rookie salary wage scale was a godsend to those who love to trade in the first round (GMs included). There no longer is the spectre of outrageous top 10 contracts looming on Draft Day. Other than make a handful of elite (and not-so-elite) players and their agents barrels of cash, the worst thing about the old system was that the cost of signing a top 10 rookie effectively prevented teams from making deals. It makes things like the draft value charts relevant again.

So, does Oakland still have the rights to Jamarcus Russell and will Nix give up a 4th rounder for them? :bag:

if he can lose some weight. Why not take a flyer. I think Oak released him tho. Not sure if we'd owe anything for that move.

no thanks. Don't really want to get into that discussion. Was just making 1 comment. That's all he warrants.

Exactly,

The consensus in that thread is you don't waste too much time with the guy.

Tryout? Maybe.

Bring him to camp? Probably not unless he can get his weight closer to his combine weight (265 pounds). He recently weighed 308 after topping out at 320.

He did take my advice though and is participating at Jeff Garcia's QB Academy.

Exactly,

The consensus in that thread is you don't waste too much time with the guy.

Tryout? Maybe.

Bring him to camp? Probably not unless he can get his weight closer to his combine weight (265 pounds). He recently weighed 308 after topping out at 320.

He did take my advice though and is participating at Jeff Garcia's QB Academy.

ill probably not go to that link and find out, so does anyone know how his weight issue is coming along? Last update?

Edit: just went there and Didnt notice an answer to my question. Other than the above mentioned weight.

But I did notice some other good arguments going in in that thread. Thanks for the link SJBF.

Edited by mrags

Well, I guess the best we can say for Chan is that he backed his guy all the way, even though it meant he backed his car up to The Ralph and cleaned out his office as a result. One thing we were spared is the fire drill of changing everything in the vain effort to find something that worked. Faint praise for small wonders.

The challenge isn't making a good selection with our high first round pick. Any dork can do that. The bigger challenge is to put together a deal that will make your roster stronger than if you stood pat. If an attractive deal can't be made then so be it. At least explore opportunities instead of ignoring opportunities.

Sorry if this is getting too much into semantics, but we both know better than the bolded.

Maybe we should clarify what a "good selection" is. To me, it means more than the player being "good." Football teams are constructed primarily upon draft choices. GMs need to select players who will win football games for their team. If the team is losing, what difference does it make if for example Gilmore is "good?" One of the numerous QBs that the Bills passed on was also good, AND would have been better for the franchise, AND won us football games!!!

This idiocy as we know is not limited to the QB position. Last season, this team in essence played with no quality linebackers. NE drafted Hightower at #25. In theory, we could have traded down, drafted a "good" player (Hightower), and acquired additional selections, or at least 1. Instead, Nix followed the Bills never ending trend of scooping up DBs and RBs with his best resources. And of course, the losing continued.

When you have a stolid GM who believes in staying pat what does it really matter? Nix is an on the wall roto dialing telephone person in a world of iPhones. When there is a consensus that people want their current GM to have less authority to make decisions then you know you are in trouble. Going with people who have gotten you nowhere is not a good business model. An old-school mind-set has its place in certain environments but it is not a productive approach for a GM in the NFL of today.

Its nothing but same old same old at OBD

Sorry if this is getting too much into semantics, but we both know better than the bolded.

Maybe we should clarify what a "good selection" is. To me, it means more than the player being "good." Football teams are constructed primarily upon draft choices. GMs need to select players who will win football games for their team. If the team is losing, what difference does it make if for example Gilmore is "good?" One of the numerous QBs that the Bills passed on was also good, AND would have been better for the franchise, AND won us football games!!!

This idiocy as we know is not limited to the QB position. Last season, this team in essence played with no quality linebackers. NE drafted Hightower at #25. In theory, we could have traded down, drafted a "good" player (Hightower), and acquired additional selections, or at least 1. Instead, Nix followed the Bills never ending trend of scooping up DBs and RBs with his best resources. And of course, the losing continued.

The three first round picks that stolid Buddy made were decent picks from a talent standpoint relative to where they were drafted. But his failure in drafting was that he was clueless as to how to build a roster. He simply didn't understand the importance of prioritizing positions in the building process. His dullard perspective was that of a scout rather than a GM, the difference between checkers and chess.

You don't have to be a NFL analyst to recognize that this is a qb driven league. How much urgency did country Buddy demonstrate in his three years in addressing the most critical position on a team? His qbs during his unimpressive tenure were Fitz, Young, Thigpen, T. Jackson and Levi Brown. That's not only embarrassing it is a dereliction of duty. There is no need to even bother going over the missed opportunities to secure a quality prospect. What makes it even more frustrating is that he had opportunities outside of the first round to draft a credible qb. What this befuddled GM didn't understand is that by aggressively pursuing a good qb prospect he could have dramatically changed the dynamics of this hollow team and franchise.

Sometimes there is too much emphasis placed on the qb position. But even not addressing that issue this team also has major deficiencies on both sides of the ball. There is simply no excuse for the Bills to still be at the embryonic stage of development after three years. As far as I am concerned Russ Brandon should be ashamed of himself for allowing this very inept man to continue to be the GM, regardless if he is neutered or not. You don't start fresh when you continue with the same stale approach.

Astro, nice stuff, but it would be a little easier if three-letter abbreviations were used. I had to wrap my head around JT rather than the NYJ I'm used to, "MM" still isn't apparent to me, etc. Just a friendly suggestion.

The head honcho listened to your suggestion, implemented it, and gave me a huge raise!!!!! Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Come on STL! I'd move down to 22 just to acquire their 2nd and 3rd picks in a heartbeat(46&78)! That will give us a 1st, 2-2nd and 2-3rd rounders. Sign me up!

The Rams may want to move up to get a defensive player like a Dion Jordan or Dee Millner. With the Bills moving back to 22, they still could grab Lane Johnson to take the other tackle position and still have two 2nd and two 3rd rounders. Here's to wishful thinking.