Mike Pettine be looking for in a safety?

bernie

What Mike Pettine thinks of LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell, Eric Smith

February 12, 2013 - 7:50 AM

By Tim Graham

Until their contracts expire or they're released, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is forbidden from speaking about New York Jets safeties LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell or Eric Smith.

As defensive coordinator of the Jets a few weeks ago, however, he could blab, blab, blab all he wanted.

I reviewed Pettine's 2012 news conferences to search for comments about his former safeties a day after the Bills released captain George Wilson.

Pettine on his safety trio (Sept. 13, 2012):

"We love Eric Smith at 300 or 400 snaps, but not a guy that -- given his role on special teams -- is a full-time guy. That just doesn't make a lot of sense. So we wanted to find guys that were starting-caliber guys and that have the attributes that we found in both those guys with Yeremiah and LaRon.

"They're both savvy players, have some man-cover skills. ... They're both very versatile. They can play in the post. They play the deep half. They can come down and cover man. They can be involved in the run game.

"Then there's the toughness aspect that we always pride ourselves, and that's the style of defense we're going to play. We're not going to make it easy for a receiver to want to come over the middle, and certainly both of them -- LaRon, especially -- has provided that element."

Pettine on Landry and Bell (Sept. 6, 2012):

"We never thought of [Landry] as a box safety. Here's a guy who ran sub-4.4 [40-yard dash time] coming out, has great range. To me, he's a complete safety because he's an excellent blitzer, his man-coverage skills are solid -- that was one of the things that we studied when we looked at him on tape -- and he played a lot where he was in a two-shell and had to come off the landmark on the hash mark and play No. 1 down the boundary, and there's no issues with his range.

"Even in the middle of the field, the ball's thrown, he's breaking on the throw, and he's standing on the boundary. His closing speed to me has been what's impressive.

"We never thought of him as a box guy, and Yeremiah’s the same way. I think Yeremiah's a complete player as well. He can blitz. He can cover. I've been asked that question before: 'Why do you guys have three box safeties?' We never for a second thought of it that way."

Pettine on Landry's physical play (Sept. 20, 2012):

"The thing with Landry is this is a physical football player, as we know. There's nothing he does when he hits a guy that is illegal. He lowers his target. He does everything the way you want. He's not out there to injure, but he's going to hit you."

"I love the fact he has a reputation as a huge hitter because he's clean. There isn't anybody saying he's not a clean player. He's a clean player. He's a hitter. Yeremiah Bell is a hitter. They're going to do it within the rules."

Pettine on whom he would compare Landry to when it comes to aggressiveness (Sept. 13, 2012):

"Ed Reed was very aggressive. He didn't hit as hard. Ed'll hit you, but Ed was a guy that when he diagnosed a play he would go and get it. And certainly [Troy] Polamalu I would say is very similar. They key fast, and when they see it, we use the phrase 'Shoot your gun.' They don't hesitate."

Pettine on Bell (May 29, 2012):

"He's no-nonsense, and he's a leader. If a guy's straying off the path that he should be on, you can tell he's not going to be afraid to point it out."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laron Landry will be a Bill; I'd almost guarantee it. And as much as I hated him for the hit on FJax last year, I'd welcome him with open arms.

It was hard hit. But it was a fair hit. He hit FJax in the meat of his thigh just as FJax was turning to break another low tackle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01p8AgHTWWc

Edited by taC giB ehT

Hey its so funny that laron landry gets mentioned into becoming a Bill. My father has a condo in fo

Hey its so funny that laron landry gets mentioned into becoming a Bill. My father has a condo in fort lee nj. And one time his wife was in the elevator and saw this diesel looking guy get in. It was LaRon Landry!!! I couldn't f'ing believe it when they told me. Since he was playing for the jets, he got a place closeby to the stadium. I'm gonna try my darnest to meet him and tell him to come to B-lo. Maybe I could get. A sideline pass or something...lol!

They could move Arron Williams to safety. He played some safety at Texas. Bryd searcy and Williams as you first three might just work.

They could use a vet corner back so moving Williams to safety makes since on that level as well

Edited by jcbillsfan

Ebonics, bernie?

Anyway, this:

"The thing with Landry is this is a physical football player, as we know. There's nothing he does when he hits a guy that is illegal. He lowers his target. He does everything the way you want. He's not out there to injure, but he's going to hit you."

There is no one on the Bills who currently could be described like this at all.

Go get him Buddy Whaley.

What Mike Pettine thinks of LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell, Eric Smith

February 12, 2013 - 7:50 AM

By Tim Graham

Until their contracts expire or they're released, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is forbidden from speaking about New York Jets safeties LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell or Eric Smith.

As defensive coordinator of the Jets a few weeks ago, however, he could blab, blab, blab all he wanted.

I reviewed Pettine's 2012 news conferences to search for comments about his former safeties a day after the Bills released captain George Wilson.

Pettine on his safety trio (Sept. 13, 2012):

"We love Eric Smith at 300 or 400 snaps, but not a guy that -- given his role on special teams -- is a full-time guy. That just doesn't make a lot of sense. So we wanted to find guys that were starting-caliber guys and that have the attributes that we found in both those guys with Yeremiah and LaRon.

"They're both savvy players, have some man-cover skills. ... They're both very versatile. They can play in the post. They play the deep half. They can come down and cover man. They can be involved in the run game.

"Then there's the toughness aspect that we always pride ourselves, and that's the style of defense we're going to play. We're not going to make it easy for a receiver to want to come over the middle, and certainly both of them -- LaRon, especially -- has provided that element."

Pettine on Landry and Bell (Sept. 6, 2012):

"We never thought of [Landry] as a box safety. Here's a guy who ran sub-4.4 [40-yard dash time] coming out, has great range. To me, he's a complete safety because he's an excellent blitzer, his man-coverage skills are solid -- that was one of the things that we studied when we looked at him on tape -- and he played a lot where he was in a two-shell and had to come off the landmark on the hash mark and play No. 1 down the boundary, and there's no issues with his range.

"Even in the middle of the field, the ball's thrown, he's breaking on the throw, and he's standing on the boundary. His closing speed to me has been what's impressive.

"We never thought of him as a box guy, and Yeremiah’s the same way. I think Yeremiah's a complete player as well. He can blitz. He can cover. I've been asked that question before: 'Why do you guys have three box safeties?' We never for a second thought of it that way."

Pettine on Landry's physical play (Sept. 20, 2012):

"I love the fact he has a reputation as a huge hitter because he's clean. There isn't anybody saying he's not a clean player. He's a clean player. He's a hitter. Yeremiah Bell is a hitter. They're going to do it within the rules."

Pettine on whom he would compare Landry to when it comes to aggressiveness (Sept. 13, 2012):

"Ed Reed was very aggressive. He didn't hit as hard. Ed'll hit you, but Ed was a guy that when he diagnosed a play he would go and get it. And certainly [Troy] Polamalu I would say is very similar. They key fast, and when they see it, we use the phrase 'Shoot your gun.' They don't hesitate."

Pettine on Bell (May 29, 2012):

"He's no-nonsense, and he's a leader. If a guy's straying off the path that he should be on, you can tell he's not going to be afraid to point it out."

VERY good research, thanks! Boy, I'm really expecting for us to go after Landry, possibly even Bell. I've been wanting and waiting for us to become a hard nosed, physical defense for the longest time and guys like them are important blocks towards accomplishing that. Here's hoping that we end up with Landry and players like him.

Ebonics, bernie?

Anyway, this:

Go get him Buddy Whaley.

What makes you think it isn't Douggie Nix?

Thanks a great deal to Tim Graham! That's a great bit of research.

I'm rather ok with transplanting a good chunk of our defense with the Jets players, even the ones they cut for cap space. Both Landry and Bell would be great additions, and Bart Scott would be a "junk for junk" swap with Barnett.

If there is a single coach I have absolute faith it, it's Pettine, and I'm giddy to see what he can do.

Ebonics, bernie?

Anyway, this:

Go get him Buddy Whaley.

This is exactly what we need!!!!!

Gees guys. Based on Pettine's flavor in safeties I'd have to say he prefers 4-3 linebackers at safety. That sure doesn't bode will for Byrd. He does not like the box and he does not play physical.

Byrd plays more physical than people give him credit for. He forced at least 4 fumbles last year.

I got the impression that the Jets locker room was more toxic than most.

I don't know how that reflects on Pettine, but I'm not assuming that any of these guys are interested in Buffalo or vice versa.

I think it's safe to say a good bit of toxicity was the result of that circus sideshow they called an offense.

This is exactly what we need!!!!!

Byrd plays more physical than people give him credit for. He forced at least 4 fumbles last year.

True. However, there is a difference in stripping the ball and physically jacking up the ball carrier. Pettine prefers that receivers have a certain doubt about going over the middle for fear of getting knocked cold. Byrd doesn't frighten too many receivers.