Mike Pettine be looking for in a safety?

bernie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading between the lines, that's a great list of qualities Pettine might be looking for in the draft:

Sounds like

RD1 Ogletree-Jarvis Jones-Mingo-Vaccaro-Milliner;

RD2 Te'O (if he lasts)-Xavier Rhodes-Sylvester Williams;

RD3 Logan Ryan CB

late rounds: James Morris ILB

1. man-cover skills
  2. versatile
  3. toughness
  4. great range
  5. excellent blitzer
  6. sub-4.4
  7. great range

Reading between the lines, that's a great list of qualities Pettine might be looking for in the draft:

Sounds like

RD1 Ogletree-Jarvis Jones-Mingo-Vaccaro-Milliner;

RD2 Te'O (if he lasts)-Xavier Rhodes-Sylvester Williams;

RD3 Logan Ryan CB

late rounds: James Morris ILB

1. man-cover skills

2. versatile

3. toughness

4. great range

5. excellent blitzer

6. sub-4.4

7. great range

Also Byrd fits those qualities nicely

I dont care much for the statements by Pettine intelligent as they sound. as graham reported them

Smith sucks alot.

Landry has something to offer but is he the starter or a package player? And then money becomes an issue.

Scott NO NO NO

I wont believe any of the hype about bringing in Jets players to accelerate the learning curve. thats bs and wasteful.

I hope we dont use stopgaps and let's let Searcy and Byrd do their thing this year up.

If D searcy cant swing it we shall prove that out.

but i hope we go elsewhere for Linebackers. One in FA (my pick anthony spencer if we can get to him ) and a draft or two.

i can see a first or third coming on board at either inside or outside.

Only Jet i could tolerate would be devito.

jeebus i am already nervous :sick:

I dont care much for the statements by Pettine intelligent as they sound. as graham reported them

Smith sucks alot.

Landry has something to offer but is he the starter or a package player? And then money becomes an issue.

Scott NO NO NO

I wont believe any of the hype about bringing in Jets players to accelerate the learning curve. thats bs and wasteful.

I hope we dont use stopgaps and let's let Searcy and Byrd do their thing this year up.

If D searcy cant swing it we shall prove that out.

but i hope we go elsewhere for Linebackers. One in FA (my pick anthony spencer if we can get to him ) and a draft or two.

i can see a first or third coming on board at either inside or outside.

Only Jet i could tolerate would be devito.

jeebus i am already nervous :sick:

Players from his top 5 offense, yeah that'd be horrible. :death:

True. However, there is a difference in stripping the ball and physically jacking up the ball carrier. Pettine prefers that receivers have a certain doubt about going over the middle for fear of getting knocked cold. Byrd doesn't frighten too many receivers.

I think I know what you're alluding to Doc, but there's another offensive player involved in a pass attempt and Byrd FRIGHTENS QB's!

A blog post the day before by Tim Graham also had this historical tidbit:

When Rex Ryan left the Baltimore Ravens to become head coach of the New York Jets in 2009 and Mike Pettine came along as defensive coordinator, a significant part of their master plan was to sign former Raven defenders who could communicate the system to their new teammates.

The top two targets were linebacker Bart Scott and safety Jim Leonhard, who speak the same language Ryan and Pettine do. Scott and Leonhard made the on-field calls and explained the adjustments.

The Jets' defense thrived right away.

I got the impression that the Jets locker room was more toxic than most.

I don't know how that reflects on Pettine, but I'm not assuming that any of these guys are interested in Buffalo or vice versa.

I thought we hired Pettine, not Rex? There's no doubt who drove that dog and pony show into the ground....

I got the impression that the Jets locker room was more toxic than most.

I don't know how that reflects on Pettine, but I'm not assuming that any of these guys are interested in Buffalo or vice versa.

I thought we hired Pettine, not Rex? There's no doubt who drove that dog and pony show into the ground....

And actually it wasn't all on Rex.

Deposed GM Mike Tannenbaum was the driving force behind the Tebow trade and also the Hard Knocks decision.

Putting he and Rex together was like treating glycerol with nitric acid.

I would bet that Pettine had zero to do with the Florham Park Circus.

Laron Landry will be a Bill; I'd almost guarantee it. And as much as I hated him for the hit on FJax last year, I'd welcome him with open arms.

Haven't we seen enough strong safties that suck in pass coverage here? :sick: