Are we seriously going to let Levitre walk?

Virgil

I've had the gut feeling for a while now that the 2012 season would be Andy LeVitre's last as a Buffalo Bill. I just don't think the Bills are going to spend big money at the G position, and I don't think LeVitre is going to give any hometown discount (do they really even exist!?).

I know LeVitre will be looking to make north of what Ben Grubbs got last year, and I don't think the Bills are going to spend $7+ million on a solid guard.

There are 2 other things to take notice of:

1. There is no was we use the franchise tag on him, as it's way too expensive for OL, and it needs to be saved for Byrd if a long term deal can't be worked out with him.

2. I think the Bills focused on gettig the Urbik deal done when they did, because they knew there was a high likelihood that LeVitre would be looking for more than they're willing to offer.

I don't want to downplay the significance of losing a really good player, because the Bills certainly don't need to be creating holes on this team, but..................with that said, I can't say that I disagree with the Bills philosophy of not spending beaucoup bucks on an OG. It's not an overly valued position in the NFL for a reason. If LeVitre was as good vs. the run as he is vs. the pass then, maybe, I'd be more adamant that we can't let him go, but truth be told he doesn't really get much push in the run game.

The priority this offseason is clearly Byrd.

The dropoff from LeVitre to an okay guard like Brandon Moore (FA G of the Jets) isn't nearly as steep as the drop off from Byrd to a so so safety like Eric Smith (another FA S of the Jets.)

Bottom line, is there are WAY more servicable G's in the NFL than there are S's. This is why I've been saying Byrd was of much higher importance to retain over LeVitre for the better part of a year. It was an unpopular thought at the time, but I think the Bills front office sees things similarly.

Good post. I agree, Byrd NEEDS to be priority #1. He's our best defensive player IMO. He's a savvy ball hawk that is a sound tackler and anticipates QBs better than most DBs. While I hope we resign Levitre, 7mill+ is a lot for a guard. I'd understand if he signs elsewhere for big money.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rational may be that there are a couple of good guard prospects coming out in this years draft one of which played at Cuse for our new HC .

Levetrie will command a huge contract from what they are saying & if they can get another player with his same potential for 5 years & use the money else where it may work .

I'm not saying it would be a very appreciated move by the fans but from all the talk his contract will be a tough sell ...

The rational may be that there are a couple of good guard prospects coming out in this years draft one of which played at Cuse for our new HC .

Levetrie will command a huge contract from what they are saying & if they can get another player with his same potential for 5 years & use the money else where it may work .

I'm not saying it would be a very appreciated move by the fans but from all the talk his contract will be a tough sell ...

Except you can draft potential and should pay talent. Levitre is talent, now. His replacement in the draft, regardless of potential, would almost certainly face a learning curve that would surely be part of another insufferable 3-year rebuilding plan. Plus this replacement would cost a draft pick that we really need to use to fill existing gaps at QB, TE, LB, LB, LB and WR.

I get it if we try and cannot afford or appeal to Levitre. But this "let him go" argument is madness.

Dr. Trooth, I hope you're slapping your own forehead! We don't have to worry about losing a top free agent so long as we can start someone better next year? (Huh?) :doh:

Why, should I be?

1) Marrone clearly stated he wants a physical offensive line. Of the five Bills starting Olineman, which one would you consider to not be in that category? Levitre is a technician and an athletic guard, not a physical one. So, does Levitre even figure into the Bills plans? Why didn't the Bills consider re-signing him before he entered his last season?

2) If top end $$$ for a LG is $10m, do you believe Bills will pay more than $6.75m? That's more than double what Urbik signed for. And, Logan Mankins is making close to $10M. Levitre aint in Mankins stratosphere. He aint even an all pro.

3) Options: Free Agency are Slausson, Vasquez, Legursky, Lutui, Rinehart. Any of those guys would be a competent replacement for Levitre. In particular, I like Legursky a lot. He is one physical dude, and Slausson would also be a good aquisition. Draftwise, Warmack and Cooper are considered top 10ers... Bills could select one. They could also elect to draft an Eric Fisher at LT, another top 10er and perhaps move Glenn in Levitre's spot.

Letting Levitre walk is not an issue if his $$$ demand is above 6.75M. What is at issue is the Bills not covering their a$$. I've got to believe if the Bills haven't signed him before free agency, then they weren't comfortable with the salary risk vs. the reward and must have a plan in place to keep the LG position solidified. If they don't come the end of April, it's a clear signal to me that it's the same old Bills. Not addressing the a clear void at LG is incompetent and is gonna get your QB killed... and whether that be Fitz or a rookie, there's money and a high draft pick invested there.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Draft the guard from Alabama and you have a better guard than Andy ! Andy is very good but not great ! Get a great guard next to a great center and a possible great tackle in Glenn and then you've gotten better ! Andy lives in Santa Cruz,California where my Aunt so happens to live ! It's absolutely a beautiful city which tells me he might prefer to move to the left coast before he calls it quits !

Draft the guard from Alabama and you have a better guard than Andy ! Andy is very good but not great ! Get a great guard next to a great center and a possible great tackle in Glenn and then you've gotten better ! Andy lives in Santa Cruz,California where my Aunt so happens to live ! It's absolutely a beautiful city which tells me he might prefer to move to the left coast before he calls it quits !

im assuming that the kid from Alabama would be an early first round pick. So that would mean we lose a stud Guard, and instead of drafting a future franchise QB, or big physical WR, or stud pass rusher, you want to waste another draft pick on a player we already had on the roster. Yeah, makes sense.

So we're going to let our already good guard walk just to draft another one who might be better? Then what? We wait until said Alabama guard hits free agency to let him walk and draft another one to replace him? How about we re-sign our own and draft other positions that aren't currently occupied by good players still in their 20's? I'd rather do that. We need a QB, WR, LB, among others. Let's go get them first.

Why, should I be?

1) Marrone clearly stated he wants a physical offensive line. Of the five Bills starting Olineman, which one would you consider to not be in that category? Levitre is a technician and an athletic guard, not a physical one. So, does Levitre even figure into the Bills plans? Why didn't the Bills consider re-signing him before he entered his last season?

So Marrone might want a different type of guard... and that might have something to do with why the Bills didn't sign him earlier? What is Levitre difficient at? Run blocking? ...or he run-blocks well, but just not maulingly enough?

2) If top end $$$ for a LG is $10m, do you believe Bills will pay more than $6.75m? That's more than double what Urbik signed for. And, Logan Mankins is making close to $10M. Levitre aint in Mankins stratosphere. He aint even an all pro.
That's a pretty exact number. Do I believe the Bills will pay...? I'm really not sure. Ralph really being out of football decisions and Whaley stepping in helps, I believe. I think they should pay, as I've said, even overpay a bit. I think we need continuity for our QB and LT. Pay here instead of risking their development and the additional rebuilding $$ that will cost down he line.

3) Options: Free Agency are Slausson, Vasquez, Legursky, Lutui, Rinehart. Any of those guys would be a competent replacement for Levitre. In particular, I like Legursky a lot. He is one physical dude, and Slausson would also be a good aquisition. Draftwise, Warmack and Cooper are considered top 10ers... Bills could select one. They could also elect to draft an Eric Fisher at LT, another top 10er and perhaps move Glenn in Levitre's spot.
I hope if Levitre leaves they fill the spot with a legit player. I would understand changing styles or really liking a rookie. I don't favor moving Glenn. I think he did very well at at LT, especially for a rookie, and wouldn't want to completely rebuild our left side unless we had to.

Letting Levitre walk is not an issue if his $$$ demand is above 6.75M. What is at issue is the Bills not covering their a$$. I've got to believe if the Bills haven't signed him before free agency, then they weren't comfortable with the salary risk vs. the reward and must have a plan in place to keep the LG position solidified. If they don't come the end of April, it's a clear signal to me that it's the same old Bills. Not addressing the a clear void at LG is incompetent and is gonna get your QB killed... and whether that be Fitz or a rookie, there's money and a high draft pick invested there.

Where did $6.75M come from? Over how many years etc.?

I definitely agree with the bolded sentence above.

Levitre said he wants to test Free Agency. I hope he give the Bills a chance to match any offer he gets. I understand him wanting to make sure he gets paid fairly. This is his big pay check he's worked his whole life for, and will likely look back at the rest of his life.

Edited by Matt in KC

So we're going to let our already good guard walk just to draft another one who might be better? Then what? We wait until said Alabama guard hits free agency to let him walk and draft another one to replace him? How about we re-sign our own and draft other positions that aren't currently occupied by good players still in their 20's? I'd rather do that. We need a QB, WR, LB, among others. Let's go get them first.

Good teams keep their "core" players. The reality is a core player is one that is not expendable. A good team maybe has 5. And, they are allpro caliber. Right now, the Pats have 3 players sucking $35m of a $121m cap (all pros) and Gronk is comin up for contract in a year, Welker's a FA, Vollmer's a FA. How do they keep em or will they be able to, and how do they continue to improve. You've got to balance that.

Bills have $28m counting against the cap in Fitz, Mario, & Stevie. They gotta pay Spiller soon. If Levitre gets $10m then how much is Spiller worth. What about Byrd? What a out wood comin up in a contract year? What do they do at TE... Chandler aint playin til mid season? What do they do at NT, LB, etc.?

Core players are leaders on your team. Wood and Urbik show more of that than Levitre.

If the Bills let Levitre walk, it's ok. But the FO will be excoriated if the LG spot is not addressed appropriatley and competently.

Good teams keep their "core" players. The reality is a core player is one that is not expendable. A good team maybe has 5. And, they are allpro caliber. Right now, the Pats have 3 players sucking $35m of a $121m cap (all pros) and Gronk is comin up for contract in a year, Welker's a FA, Vollmer's a FA. How do they keep em or will they be able to, and how do they continue to improve. You've got to balance that.

Bills have $28m counting against the cap in Fitz, Mario, & Stevie. They gotta pay Spiller soon. If Levitre gets $10m then how much is Spiller worth. What about Byrd? What a out wood comin up in a contract year? What do they do at TE... Chandler aint playin til mid season? What do they do at NT, LB, etc.?

Core players are leaders on your team. Wood and Urbik show more of that than Levitre.

If the Bills let Levitre walk, it's ok. But the FO will be excoriated if the LG spot is not addressed appropriatley and competently.

I see zero to give me cause to believe that Levitre is going to ask for more than Mankins money. And despite that, I think the whole "he isn't an All Pro" argument is hogwash. Put him on the Pats or the Ravens and he would indeed be an All Pro. While the All Pro honorees tend less often just to be fan favorites or strictly players from winning teams, it is a factor as with any recognition. Bad teams don't get their good players recognized as often. Even so, this team would really regret letting Levitre go and either cheaping out on that need or expending further resources to fill it when a quality option existed in-house.

regarding Gronk. His extension signed last year is in the 59 million range. Just sayin.

The Bills will try at all costs to keep him. i think the one thing Buddy and Whaley agree on is you need a good Oline. If Levitre leaves it will be because he does not want to play in Buffalo. I do not think that is the case. It sounds like the Oline was a pretty tight group. They called themselves the 'wolf pack' i believe. I see Levitre getting around $7mil a season. Other than him the Bills do not have to worry about spending big money till maybe Glenn developes in two years. Woods is solid but has missed time in two of his first four seasons. He will be the tougher one to figure out what to do with next year.

They were slipping each other roofies?

Supposing Levitre was looking for Mankins type money, that could go to a stud FA WR. At roughly the same price would you rather have Bowe/M Wallace or Levitre?

Supposing Levitre was looking for Mankins type money, that could go to a stud FA WR. At roughly the same price would you rather have Bowe/M Wallace or Levitre?

here's a line of thinking that may not only have merit. But has a strong probability of being dead on. The stud WR is a good idea. Are the bills that forward thinking though? I doubt it, 53 years of this crap are evidence. Without Polian the Bills would possibly in year 28 of no playoffs.

Levitre first. An above average guard thank can swing to tackle in a emergency (center not so much). Some have Levitre not even in the top ten free agents (all positions) this year. That too is most likely an accurate grade. Now add JB who is on record saying he is sick of losing. Byrd has had a new DC 3times and now if he (is forced to stay) his 3rd HC and what his 4th DC?

Some mention a hometown discount. Put both Byrd and Levitre in a class of players that money isn't everything. But in the case of a severely mismanaged franchise they may be looking for more $$$$ to stick around and find out yet again (hopefully not) That there about to sit in football hell for 5 more years (the primes of their football careers) if the new regime is like the last 2 they have played on. Only money eases that type of pain because those 2 players would in effect become simply football whores playing for the checks. They don't want too but that possibility exists. If this scenario plays out then yes Levitre and Byrd will want big bucks. No hometown discount when other dare I say mediocre players have very rich contracts. The DE position is a good example of that.

If Marrone is calling any Bills players chances are he is on a full tilt recruiting mode with them. he has to, they have options, and big time leverage.

Losing Levitre is not the end of the world, If he doesn't sign before free agency, he is gone to a contender. I doubt either will join poz in Jacksonville. Byrd could at last play for a DC with a 21st century track record if he wants. That could persuade him. If not the tag money wise is reasonable and buys his services for a year. I wish Nix didn't grandstand in 2012 and stick the Bills with a 50 million guarantee with Mario. Because although they have some money around. That mammoth contract on a consistent 6-10 team is a huge anchor. It was a stupid move by a GM in way over his head. To some it was as much of a marketing move as it was to shore up a pathetic D-Line.

Edited by Best Player Available

Brandon Moore would be a fine replacement did the next 2 years.

Brandon Moore is a RG, not a LG.

IIRC, Gailey started to split Levitre's reps with Chad Rinehart during 2010 training camp. It didn't last long, and Rinehart ended up becoming the primary backup. Here was Buddy trying to build a big physical line for a smallish outside the tackle 9th overall pick RB and a quick passing attack. Talk about a disjointed plan, but either way Levitre fit and excelled.

If the Bills find themselves having to use a decent (higher than 3rd round) pick on a guard because Levitre left, they're back to their old ways. Remember, Levitre and Wood were selected in 2009 when the Bills were basically without 2 starting guards. They managed to select solid players and may be back to square 1.

I would like to see Levitre back but what fan doesn't? The question is money. Past 6 or 7 million a year I just don't see how he is worth it. He has physically peaked and leaves a lot to be desired in straight line blocking. Like it or not, if the Bills get outbid for his services, I could easily see a number of big Tackles in the draft that could step in and play Guard. Lets not forget that IF Cordy Glenn doesn't pan out at T that LG could be a great spot for him if Levitre is not on the roster.