Are we seriously going to let Levitre walk?

Virgil

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 for 25 with 10 guaranteed seems about right. My guess is someone will over pay. I think it is a very difficult decision

Isn't that exactly what we gave Langston Walker? (I remember because that's exactly what the Redskins gave Fletcher that same year.) I know Levitre is a guard, not a tackle, but I'd go higher. With a drafted LT, we don't have much money tied up on the o-line.

Continuity means a lot for an o-line, and a decent line is essential for the development of a young QB. To build a new offense, I think this is an appropriate place to "overpay".

Isn't that exactly what we gave Langston Walker? (I remember because that's exactly what the Redskins gave Fletcher that same year.) I know Levitre is a guard, not a tackle, but I'd go higher. With a drafted LT, we don't have much money tied up on the o-line.

Continuity means a lot for an o-line, and a decent line is essential for the development of a young QB. To build a new offense, I think this is an appropriate place to "overpay".

Agreed, especially since the guy is a monster run blocker. The only way I see them letting Levitre go is if they are truly committed to a different style of play than he offers. Personally, I think that's ludicrous.

How high would you go?

How high would you go?

I think there's rationale for a six-year deal with around $10-12 million in signing bonus and a four-year average salary close to $8 million. The dude is 26, you're paying for his prime, he is top-10 in the league at LG at least, and he provides continuity and positional flexibility. That gives you his best years, it gives him some financial security and then some, doesn't pay him Mankins money but secures him and the line for the long term.

i agree with a lot of what you are saying but they still have to pay wood next year and if Glenn develops that's another big contract.

How high would you go?

I don't know what market rate is for a top guard. I'd be willing to pay him near the top of the league for a guard and not screw around negotiating too much. That may be a bit more than he is "worth", but salaries are going up and he's a cornerstone for our offense. I wouldn't risk a young QBs development and Glenn settling in at LT to save 10%.

i agree with a lot of what you are saying but they still have to pay wood next year and if Glenn develops that's another big contract.

I've been more impressed with Levitre's play than Wood's. What I don't know is how Wood has done with the line calls and how hard that would be to replace.

You can't avoid paying players because you think we'll have other players that will need to be paid down the line. We're not facing cap hell next year, so I don't think Wood's status has much bearing on resigning Levitre.

I don't know what market rate is for a top guard. I'd be willing to pay him near the top of the league for a guard and not screw around negotiating too much. That may be a bit more than he is "worth", but salaries are going up and he's a cornerstone for our offense. I wouldn't risk a young QBs development and Glenn settling in at LT to save 10%.

This site has been useful to me: http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/guard/

Glenn won't be a free agent until 2016.

I have this overwhelming feeling they we are simply going to let him walk and barely make an offer to him. I just don't understand this. At LG, he it's not a scheme thing. He's the best FA LG available. We don't have someone ready to replace him, so we'd have to draft someone. He's been healthy and a beast for us.

I cannot understand how this could happen or what the justification would be

1) He's not gone anywhere.

2) He's not an allpro but wants to be paid like one.

3) So what if the Bills let him walk, as long as the player that ends up playing LG for the Bills is at least as good, or better than Levitre.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

1) He's not gone anywhere.

2) He's not an allpro but wants to be paid like one.

3) So what if the Bills let him walk, as long as the player that ends up playing LG for the Bills is at least as good, or better than Levitre.

And where would we find one of those?

And where would we find one of those?

Especially where are we going to find one that is

1) cheaper

2) won't take a long time to adjust to a new team

3) at least as good or better than Levitre

Sounds like a player that everyone will want i.e. pay more for. Do people even think when they post this stuff?

This site has been useful to me: http://www.spotrac.c.../average/guard/

Thanks for the link. That is helpful. I wish it said when their deal was signed, and for how many years though. $ per year just isn't the full picture.

Especially where are we going to find one that is

1) cheaper

2) won't take a long time to adjust to a new team

3) at least as good or better than Levitre

Sounds like a player that everyone will want i.e. pay more for. Do people even think when they post this stuff?

Seriously.

Dr. Trooth, I hope you're slapping your own forehead! We don't have to worry about losing a top free agent so long as we can start someone better next year? (Huh?) :doh:

I have no interest in playing arm chair GM as regards salaries and contracts he might command. Props to those that know such things. What I do know is that this team has had a miserable run for 13 years now and that the TV contract and Toronto series provides plenty of money to sign players. This guy is a very good player by league standards and will make pro bowls when/if this offense improves.His run blocking stats are off the charts as already pointed out. Oh yeah, he likes playing here too. What's to discuss? Sign the guy. Anything less is a major failure.

Edited by BarkLessWagMore

The Bills will try at all costs to keep him. i think the one thing Buddy and Whaley agree on is you need a good Oline. If Levitre leaves it will be because he does not want to play in Buffalo. I do not think that is the case. It sounds like the Oline was a pretty tight group. They called themselves the 'wolf pack' i believe. I see Levitre getting around $7mil a season. Other than him the Bills do not have to worry about spending big money till maybe Glenn developes in two years. Woods is solid but has missed time in two of his first four seasons. He will be the tougher one to figure out what to do with next year.

Thanks for the link. That is helpful. I wish it said when their deal was signed, and for how many years though. $ per year just isn't the full picture.

Seriously.

I do like being able to look at base salary and cap hit there (among the choices to view). If you click each individual player you get their specific contract details year by year.

We can't keep cultivating guys only to let someone else reap the bounty. We have two tags use one on Levitre and one on Byrd if they don't sign. If we have to trade them later at least get a 1st rounder pick.

Does it really work that way? I thought you could use franchise or transition, not both.

I do like being able to look at base salary and cap hit there (among the choices to view). If you click each individual player you get their specific contract details year by year.

Thanks! I didn't click around enough. That is really helpful to see what guys are getting at each poistion, terms etc..